RAAL 1995 headphones, Magna and Immanis
Apr 24, 2024 at 2:16 AM Post #1,291 of 1,655
The difference in $ between the two is going to be less than the anxiety and stress I will go through wondering how much better Immanis is.
I preferred Magna in my short time I tested it at CanJam, as did Danny from RAAL and Andrew from Bloom Audio.
I'm very curious to compare them at home to see if that stays the case.

Apr 24, 2024 at 3:03 AM Post #1,292 of 1,655
I preferred Magna in my short time I tested it at CanJam, as did Danny from RAAL and Andrew from Bloom Audio.
I'm very curious to compare them at home to see if that stays the case.
Looking forward to hearing about your findings.

Apr 24, 2024 at 4:07 AM Post #1,293 of 1,655
I appreciate your clarification.

That's a tough one! I have the Immanis on order, but I really enjoy both the CA-1a and SR-1a.
I find the mids and treble more pleasing on the SR-1a, but prefer the bass on the CA-1a, generally speaking.

Tempts me to order a Magna, too, just to compare... but I have a bit to decide, given the backorder times for the Immanis.
You could ask Danny if he could supply you with a new one of each, you keep the one you prefer and Danny takes back the one you return into his demo stock? The Immanis has better spatial characteristics, more like the SR-1a, and they both have better bass than the CA-1a. Neither of them would be a bad choice, but if Danny can let you hear them before you have to commit that would be a good solution. Except you might then decide you need both in your life……🤭

Apr 24, 2024 at 4:42 AM Post #1,294 of 1,655
Having some RAAL fun with the Armageddon 😁

IMG20240424104106.jpg

I have been mainly focusing on the Armageddon today, with some good recordings from Leonard Cohen, Nick Cave, Johnny Cash, Roy Orbison, and Roger Waters.
Work was boring but at least my ears were happy :)

Apr 24, 2024 at 6:44 AM Post #1,295 of 1,655
You could ask Danny if he could supply you with a new one of each, you keep the one you prefer and Danny takes back the one you return into his demo stock? The Immanis has better spatial characteristics, more like the SR-1a, and they both have better bass than the CA-1a. Neither of them would be a bad choice, but if Danny can let you hear them before you have to commit that would be a good solution. Except you might then decide you need both in your life……🤭
I actually think there is very little need for both, just like there is little need to keep the Ca-1a when you have the Magna or Immanis

Apr 24, 2024 at 6:59 AM Post #1,296 of 1,655
Which cable termination does Immanis have on both ends? 3.5mm seem to be headphone termination which is nice for us Susvara owners but, what abou the other end?

Considering getting Lavri Silver Grandmaster 8 core cable, would be good if its futureproof for Immanis :)

Apr 24, 2024 at 7:05 AM Post #1,297 of 1,655
I actually think there is very little need for both, just like there is little need to keep the Ca-1a when you have the Magna or Immanis
Unless you like to collect headphones and you’re a completist. Or you have 2 places where you like to listen to music. CA-1a with the Envy makes very nice music and it is less dynamic than Magna and Immanis so it could still have a use for the more relaxing listening sessions. You might need to calm down sometime after the adrenaline rush of Immanis/Envy AE.

Apr 24, 2024 at 7:07 AM Post #1,298 of 1,655
Which cable termination does Immanis have on both ends? 3.5mm seem to be headphone termination which is nice for us Susvara owners but, what abou the other end?

Considering getting Lavri Silver Grandmaster 8 core cable, would be good if its futureproof for Immanis :)

You can't use whichever cable you want from the interface to the headphones, it has to be a specially developed Raal cable. This until some cable manufacturer will develop a cable for this precise purpose (which could never happen).

"They are a "system" formed by a Headphone driver, an impedance converting transformer and the cable that connects them together and their requirements and specifications are closely tied together." (taken from one of Alex's first posts).

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2024 at 7:09 AM Post #1,299 of 1,655

The other end is a 4-pin female XLR which is for connecting to the interface unit or to the direct drive amps.
Edit: As Fafner says, you shouldn’t replace the Raal Star8-MK2 cable with any other cable unless it states it has been specifically developed for the Raal 1995 phones. The cable is impedance matched to the phones, any other cable will screw with the frequency response of the phones.

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2024 at 7:09 AM Post #1,300 of 1,655
You can't use whichever cable you want from the interface to the headphones, it has to be a specially developed Raal cable. This until some cable manufacturer will develop a cable for this precise purpose (which could never happen).
Ah I see. Thanks.

Apr 24, 2024 at 7:54 AM Post #1,301 of 1,655

3.5 stereo and female 4-pin XLR

Apr 24, 2024 at 7:54 AM Post #1,302 of 1,655
Hi Alex,

This is from your Raal intro back in February of both the Magna and Immanis:

Would you have anything more to add and perhaps help those choosing between these two new ribbon headphones?
I understand the orders for Immanis are greater than the Magna at this point perhaps because we, as audio kooks, tend to go with the TOTL offerings with FOMO!
I prefer a more forward sound and my 'go to' hp is the Susvara, but I have 0 experience with any Raal hp and have not heard any of the models.
I have ordered the Immanis..........and I am intrigued by:

"Immanis adds more of everythingt to that!" compared to the Magna.

Thanks!
I don’t know if you’ve read it already but the only ‘at home’ brief review of Magna and Immanis by MokhaMark can be found at #7784 on the Raal Ribbon Headphones - SRH1a thread. It’s the best that’s currently available in terms of hearing the 2 phones in the peace and quiet of one’s own home. Also user yyzSB drove over to Danny’s place in Ventura and has also shared his experience with us.

Apr 24, 2024 at 10:20 AM Post #1,304 of 1,655
CA-1a with the Envy makes very nice music and it is less dynamic than Magna and Immanis so it could still have a use for the more relaxing listening sessions. You might need to calm down sometime after the adrenaline rush of Immanis/Envy AE.
That's good to hear! One of the things I most love about the CA1a is how dynamic it is, at least off the VM1a. It really bodes well if the Magna and Immanis are even better.

Apr 24, 2024 at 11:17 AM Post #1,305 of 1,655
I don’t know if you’ve read it already but the only ‘at home’ brief review of Magna and Immanis by MokhaMark can be found at #7784 on the Raal Ribbon Headphones - SRH1a thread. It’s the best that’s currently available in terms of hearing the 2 phones in the peace and quiet of one’s own home. Also user yyzSB drove over to Danny’s place in Ventura and has also shared his experience with us.
Thanks, I have read both. I was interested to see if Alex had a bit more to say regarding each model.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back