RAAL 1995 headphones, Magna and Immanis
Apr 14, 2024 at 10:43 PM Post #1,096 of 1,658
I was at axpona 2024 and this headphone with its own raal amp was absolutely amazing. If I ever bought this headphone, I'd just buy that amp. Did anyone actually like a different amp OVER the Raal amp for the Immanis?

The show stoppers for me at the whole Axpona were the Grand Focal Utopias, the Borreson X3s (what a freaking value), and the Raal Immanis.

Side Note: I was never a Raal fan until today.

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2024 at 10:48 PM Post #1,097 of 1,658
Glad to hear the headphone designer likes the same type of sound as myself, having owned a Benchmark HPA4 amp for some time. I haven't heard the BM AHB2 but my understanding is that there is a family sonic resemblance and a killer sound with my SR-1b.
I have a AHB2 that should be sold in 1 or 2 days. A shame since I think it would be great with the Immanis. However, I am raising cash for the Immanis and the AHB2 has to go for that. I want to also replace my Benchmark LA4 preamp for the HPA4. I sold the HPA4 a few years ago since I was using RAAL phones and the HPA4 did not work with the CA or SR prior to the TI-1b. I now want to have the option of using the HPA4 with the Immanis.

I do know the sound of the HPA4 and the AHB2. They are similar. I think I would love the pairing of the HPA4 with the Immanis. The Holo Serene, which I heard with the Immanis and it was very good maybe bettered by the HPA4. The more neutral HPA4 could be a better sonic pairing with the Immanis.

I tended to dislike the AHB2 with the CA and SR except when using a very warm preamp or DAC. The only exception was the Holo Serene preamp with the AHB2 with the Schitt Yggi+ LIM DAC. That was a nice combination.

I also would add my voice into not fretting about a tube or SS amp for the Immanis or Magna. They sounded great with my tube VM-1a and SS Holo Serene. I could live with either.

Apr 14, 2024 at 10:50 PM Post #1,098 of 1,658
I was at axpona 2024 and this headphone with its own raal amp was absolutely amazing. If I ever bought this headphone, I'd just buy that amp. Did anyone actually like a different amp OVER the Raal amp for the Immanis?

The show stoppers for me at the whole Axpona were the Grand Focal Utopias, the Borreson X3s (what a freaking value), and the Raal Immanis.

By RAAL amp, do you mean the VM1a?

Apr 14, 2024 at 10:55 PM Post #1,099 of 1,658

The RAAL VM-1a amp is amazing on the new phones.

I want to add for the other VM-1a owners. Danny gave me a different tube for the VM-1a when I bought it for the second time. After listening to the 2nd VM-1a for about 2 months now with the non-stock tube, I must say that it is better than the stock tube. I have no clue about tubes, and you would be better served asking Danny.

I owned the VM-1a with stock tubes for over a year, so I know what that one sounded like. I loved that stock setup, but the new tube VM-1a config I have is even better.

I took my new VM-1a to demo the Immanis with Danny and he also said the same thing I stated above. His VM-1a was shipped to Axpona so we needed a VM-1a for my demo.

Last edited:
Apr 15, 2024 at 12:26 PM Post #1,100 of 1,658
I listened w/Feliks Envy which was superb. If I was not tubes then the AHB2 since these were developed on that amp. Plus reviews on the Benchmark are all stellar

Apr 15, 2024 at 1:20 PM Post #1,101 of 1,658

Was the SAEQ Armageddon there as well?

Last edited:
Apr 15, 2024 at 10:14 PM Post #1,103 of 1,658
The RAAL VM-1a amp is amazing on the new phones.

I want to add for the other VM-1a owners. Danny gave me a different tube for the VM-1a when I bought it for the second time. After listening to the 2nd VM-1a for about 2 months now with the non-stock tube, I must say that it is better than the stock tube. I have no clue about tubes, and you would be better served asking Danny.

I owned the VM-1a with stock tubes for over a year, so I know what that one sounded like. I loved that stock setup, but the new tube VM-1a config I have is even better.

I took my new VM-1a to demo the Immanis with Danny and he also said the same thing I stated above. His VM-1a was shipped to Axpona so we needed a VM-1a for my demo.
Someone asked me to elaborate on the tube in question. I have no idea, so I am going to just post some photos.

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg

Apr 15, 2024 at 11:34 PM Post #1,104 of 1,658
Last edited:
Apr 16, 2024 at 12:54 AM Post #1,105 of 1,658
Someone asked me to elaborate on the tube in question. I have no idea, so I am going to just post some photos.

The single input tube looks like a NOS General Electric 6SN7. Nice clean extended high end, good low end grunt. Good choice.

Last edited:
Apr 16, 2024 at 5:43 AM Post #1,106 of 1,658
What’s the production status as of now, preceding as planned or still issues which need to be sorted out first?

Apr 16, 2024 at 9:51 PM Post #1,107 of 1,658
What’s the production status as of now, preceding as planned or still issues which need to be sorted out first?
A little bit of both at this moment.

So far we've shipped 13 Immanis and 4 Magna, either as sale units or demo/review units.

We'll ship another 7 Immanis by mid next week for sales/demo/reviews

That leaves us with 7 leftover Immanis, plus 3 Magna, that we need to finish as demo units for High-End Munich and Hifideluxe.

By the time I get back from Munich, all the surface treatment trials will be over and all the parts will be surface treated and ready to be assembled.

From then on, a steady flow of headphones will start to get shipped out, gradually, spread proportionally between distributors, dealers and our direct sales, according to the waiting list(s) priorities.

From the first batch, 14 demo units must be made to cover show, distributor/dealer and review demos.
I can't wait for Munich shows to be over and forget about shows for a while and just get on with building units for sales.
I'm very much looking forward to that as the pressure that built up is really high, so relieving it gradually will be such a joy for us and our clients!

A brief recap of my interactions with people at the shows, starting from WOH Heidelberg from 2nd of March are:

Cables got improved looks,
Made a Cover-cap for the RCD interface when the headphone stand is removed
A piece of microfiber cloth (black with RAAL 1995 logo) for wiping the headphones
The possibility of S-S finish instead of Gold for Immanis
Increased height of the top arc of the headspring to accommodate larger skulls

So altogether, it was a great ride, with one more round to go, then get on with making all that get out the door!

RAAL 1995 Stay updated on RAAL 1995 at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/raalribbon https://raalribbon.com/
Apr 16, 2024 at 11:40 PM Post #1,108 of 1,658
Good to see they're starting to ship. I just happened to check in with Danny and David today and I'm 21st in line.
Judging by that maybe I'll have mine in a month or so? Very excited.

Apr 17, 2024 at 12:47 AM Post #1,110 of 1,658

Users who are viewing this thread

Back