RAAL 1995 headphones, Magna and Immanis
Apr 18, 2024 at 5:15 AM Post #1,126 of 1,520
The german distributor just announced a bundle with up to 15% discount. Won't be cheap anyways, as the bundle includes the Immanis and the Envy or SAEQ's Armageddon.
I'm not in need of an amp, but those who are and got deep pockets can rejoice!

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2024 at 5:32 AM Post #1,127 of 1,520
The german distributor just announced a bundle with up to 15% discount. Won't be cheap anyways, as the bundle includes the Immanis and the Envy or SAEQ's Armageddon.
I'm not in need of an amp, but those who are and got deep pockets can rejoice!
Stairway to heaven - nice bundle name

I basically ordered a Stairway to Heaven Deluxe bundle.

That should suffice for a long time

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2024 at 5:58 AM Post #1,128 of 1,520
Stairway to heaven - nice bundle name

I basically ordered a Stairway to Heaven Deluxe bundle.

That should suffice for a long time

Got an Envy then?

Apr 18, 2024 at 6:02 AM Post #1,129 of 1,520
Got an Envy then?
Still waiting for my Envy 25th AE

Completely off topic but I've seen it in your signature.
You appear to have a Bartok Apex and a T+A MP 3000 HV. I'd love to hear your opinion on how they compare. Either here or via PM

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2024 at 7:19 AM Post #1,130 of 1,520
Still waiting for my Envy 25th AE

Completely off topic but I've seen it in your signature.
You appear to have a Bartok Apex and a T+A MP 3000 HV. I'd love to hear your opinion on how they compare. Either here or via PM

I got the T+A in 2013, by then it was considered state of the art and it really was, beating all what I heard before. It only missed native support for streaming services, which got introduced in the MP 3100HV and on an optional MP3000HV Mkii upgrade board which I never got. I used it with BubbleUPnP or MConnect, which kinda worked but wasn't totally glitch free. And yeah, no DSD support, that was added in MP 3100HV as well. It just was released just a little to soon to include those features, which then became a must.
After 10 years, technology moved forwards, and while the T+A is still a great performer, the Bartók Apex improves it noticeably. Timbre is quite a bit more lifelike, instruments of the orchestra got more body and extension, particularly in the upper end, is much improved. Perhaps soundstage isn't quite as huge as it was. Native streaming services support is an huge plus.
I'm still using the T+A with my collection of physical CDs, but most of the time I'm just sending the digital signal to the Bartók.

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2024 at 7:27 AM Post #1,131 of 1,520
I got the T+A in 2013, by then it was considered state of the art and it really was, beating all what I heard before. It only missed native support for streaming services, which got introduced in the MP 3100HV and on an optional MP3000HV Mkii upgrade board which I never got. I used it with BubbleUPnP or MConnect, which kinda worked but wasn't totally glitch free. And yeah, no DSD support, that was added in MP 3100HV as well. It just was released just a little to soon to include those features, which then became a must.
After 10 years, technology moved forwards, and while the T+A is still a great performer, the Bartók Apex improves it noticeably. Timbre is quite a bit more lifelike, instruments of the orchestra got more body and extension, particularly in the upper end, is much improved. Perhaps soundstage isn't quite as huge as it was. Native streaming services support is an huge plus.
I'm still using the T+A with my collection of physical CDs, but most of the time I'm just sending the digital signal to the Bartók.
Well you should be able to upgrade it with the new Streaming Module G3 soon, if you still want to.

I'll upgrade my MP2000R Mkii

Thx for the feedback :)

Apr 18, 2024 at 8:53 AM Post #1,132 of 1,520
Wow looks cool! I assume the TI-1b will be connected to the speaker output at the back of Sansui?
Yup 200W per channel, certainly enough to saturate the TI-1b lol. Over in the STAX thread I frequent there's a user who found it to synergize well with his transformer box that he uses with his STAX. I'm hoping it'll bring a nice flavor to the RAALs via transformer box as well. Worst case it should make a nice amp for my Magnepans.

Here's him and his STAX transformer box (I also built the same). I also watched his three part restoration of the amp, very peaceful watching things be repaired.

Sansui started as a transformer company actually, supposedly that's where a lot of the magic lies, in their proprietary transformers. All those copper/gold/silk capacitors and chunky MOSFET/BJTs don't hurt either.

Apr 18, 2024 at 9:24 AM Post #1,133 of 1,520
Yup 200W per channel, certainly enough to saturate the TI-1b lol. Over in the STAX thread I frequent there's a user who found it to synergize well with his transformer box that he uses with his STAX. I'm hoping it'll bring a nice flavor to the RAALs via transformer box as well. Worst case it should make a nice amp for my Magnepans.

Here's him and his STAX transformer box (I also built the same). I also watched his three part restoration of the amp, very peaceful watching things be repaired.

Sansui started as a transformer company actually, supposedly that's where a lot of the magic lies, in their proprietary transformers. All those copper/gold/silk capacitors and chunky MOSFET/BJTs don't hurt either.

Whoa that’s a lot of power. Do let us know how it goes with CA-1a.

Apr 18, 2024 at 10:12 AM Post #1,134 of 1,520
Whoa that’s a lot of power. Do let us know how it goes with CA-1a.
Yeah, way more than needed for the CA-1a, yet alone the more efficient Immanis. Moreso hoping for a nice synergy, warm retro sound meets detailed, fast, and spacious modern Immanis. Similar to how the VM1a synergizes so well, hoping this provides nice body. From what I read about it synergizing so well with estats I thought perhaps ribbons would be a good match too. Guess I'll find out in a few months :sweat_smile:

Apr 18, 2024 at 11:02 AM Post #1,135 of 1,520
However, keep in mind that there is no need for more than 4-5 Watts developed at either impedance by the amp.
So, if you have a powerful speaker amp (of linear electronics kind), use 32 Ohms as it will develop 4x less power at 32 than on 8 Ohms, so the headphones will be in less danger. transformers will start to saturate in low bass at over 6w and provide some protection, but that is not as effective as being mindfull with the volume pot.

Aleks, can you say more about the saturation of the transformers? I was excited by but slightly confused by your recommendation of the AHB2 given this issue.

Apr 18, 2024 at 11:53 AM Post #1,136 of 1,520
Aleks, can you say more about the saturation of the transformers? I was excited by but slightly confused by your recommendation of the AHB2 given this issue.
They start to saturate in low bass at around 6W.
You won't even get into saturation region, as headphones will be very loud and start to object the treatment before that happens.

AHB2 will deliver ~110W at 8 Ohms and ~28W at 32 Ohms of the Transformer Interface.
That is about 8-10dB more that the power required, so careful with the volume pot and everything is fine.

It;s just like driving a car...

RAAL 1995 Stay updated on RAAL 1995 at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/raalribbon https://raalribbon.com/
Apr 18, 2024 at 12:09 PM Post #1,137 of 1,520
@Aleksandar R. I think this was already asked but…if an amp is able to drive an Abyss 1266 loud enough, it’s going to be enough for the Immanis as well, right?
Wattage-wise my Zähl is into the optimal range you suggest, but it isn’t a particularly high gain amp. It’s fine for the Abyss, ppl state it’s fine for the Susvara as well, but with quiet classical recording there’s not much headroom left on the volume pot.

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2024 at 12:29 PM Post #1,139 of 1,520
Immanis is about 2dB louder that Susvara when plugged into the same amp output, at the same pot position.

So, gain-wise, they will fair better than Sus.

I'm not sure how it fares in comparison with 1266.
Abyss is supposed to sound a bit louder than Susvara on the same settings. All should be fine then, thx!

Apr 18, 2024 at 12:29 PM Post #1,140 of 1,520
@Aleksandar R. Any ETA on when we can see pictures of the Stainless Steel Immanis?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back