R5, a new Android DAP by Hiby
May 26, 2022 at 1:26 AM Post #4,306 of 4,410
How do I install gapps on my r5s? It's been years since I have this device and still no gapps. I need google services and stuff to run some of my apps.
By buying the right version

Sorry, only international version units have google support, are designed to ever have google support.

:frowning2:

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
May 26, 2022 at 2:00 PM Post #4,307 of 4,410
Saw on Facebook:

HiBy R5 & R5 Saber firmware update 2.00G was released today!
Changelog:
1. Added MQA USB HID communication;
2. Optimized USB charging--DAC in mode not attempt to charge from the USB;
3. Added passthrough USB mode (supports passthrough MQA output for TIDAL);
4. Various other bug fixes.
Simply tap on Wireless Update in your app drawer while connected to the internet through WiFi to search for and install the new update.

I have installed with no obvious issues noted.

1653588223327.png

Last edited:
May 26, 2022 at 3:52 PM Post #4,308 of 4,410
I have installed with no obvious issues noted.
I tried installing the update, but had to first remove the SD card.

If I left the SD card in the player; the update would download fine; but upon installation, an android error would occur and the old firmware would load instead.

With the SD card removed, I had to re-download the update and then install.

Hope that was helpful.

May 31, 2022 at 2:15 PM Post #4,309 of 4,410
I had to uninstall the SD card as well. No issues afterwards.

Jun 2, 2022 at 1:35 PM Post #4,312 of 4,410
Now I'm scared to install it, I need LO.. Anyone else can confirm this bug?

There is already a newer version (2.01G) with the fix.

Jun 4, 2022 at 11:58 AM Post #4,313 of 4,410
I wonder id the newer 2.01 version will install without forcing removal of the sd card?
I ask as if I remove my card Spotify will force me to re-download all my offline content (at least I assume it still does this, testing the theory could be nasty as I have a really really crappy rural connection).

Jun 4, 2022 at 1:50 PM Post #4,314 of 4,410
I wonder id the newer 2.01 version will install without forcing removal of the sd card?
I ask as if I remove my card Spotify will force me to re-download all my offline content (at least I assume it still does this, testing the theory could be nasty as I have a really really crappy rural connection).

I did not remove my SD card (but I didn't have to earlier either)...

Jun 25, 2022 at 11:38 PM Post #4,316 of 4,410
Prior to the the latest update the volume wouldn't "remember" volume settings l based on line out vs phone out. Blew my eardrums out when thinking volume on phone out was in the 60's but was actually at 100. Ouch. The most recent update fixed that.

Jul 1, 2022 at 4:24 AM Post #4,317 of 4,410
I Sent my R5 back to Hiby for a battery replacement almost 3 months ago via USPS and it still has not been delivered yet. It has been out for delivery for a week. Maybe lockdowns are impacting the movement but it did take a month to even leave the US. I'll never go this route again. In hindsight, I should have just tried replacing myself. It just quit taking a charge suddenly. I had an original Hiby R3 that suffered a swollen battery and I managed to find a very tight fitting replacement and it works great now. I sent a pair of IEMs for re-shelling using UPS and it got there in about 7 days. I used a shipping service called parcel monkey and saved some money to boot. By the way I also suspect fast charging was a factor in the shortened life span.
This is the third time my R5 has gone back for a blown battery. They only last about a year and then the back gets pushed off the device. Post takes about 8 weeks to get there which is a total pain but after repair the return takes less than a week. Work that out? I really believe there is a fault with their batteries. Why do they only last a year? This time I've been told they will replace for free. Watch this space I very much doubt it.
Due to this ongoing farce I would not buy Hiby again. They are just not worth the hassle.
To date I've been without my R5 for around half a year because it's been in the F'ing post :xf_eek:(

Users who are viewing this thread

Back