R5, a new Android DAP by Hiby
Jul 1, 2022 at 3:47 PM Post #4,322 of 4,415
This is the third time my R5 has gone back for a blown battery. They only last about a year and then the back gets pushed off the device. Post takes about 8 weeks to get there which is a total pain but after repair the return takes less than a week. Work that out? I really believe there is a fault with their batteries. Why do they only last a year? This time I've been told they will replace for free. Watch this space I very much doubt it.
Due to this ongoing farce I would not buy Hiby again. They are just not worth the hassle.
To date I've been without my R5 for around half a year because it's been in the F'ing post :xf_eek:(
You're right about return shipping. Much faster than outbound from US. My outbound shipping says it's been out for delivery since my original post. It did get delivered and promptly returned but tracking is stuck. My R5 battery did not swell up but a battery in my original R3 did swell up and popped the back off. It was easily replaced by myself using a battery I got off AliExpress. I did not want to risk damage by opening the R5 myself. I have no doubt the R5 battery is likely as simple to replace. Usually the batteries have a number such as 654324 or something like that which represents the dimensions of the battery. Look at the original and see if it has a similar number and try to match it in your search. Of course you need to select a battery that matches the voltage of the OG and approx the same Mah rating.

Jul 2, 2022 at 11:42 PM Post #4,323 of 4,415
Details if you'd be so kind. I'm willing to give it a go rather than send it back a fourth time.
Many thanks
Couldn't find the English version of AE so found it on eBay.
It is much cheaper on AE if you can log onto the site. Simply type Hiby R5 replacement battery and this one will show up. I believe I pain around $12 for it.

Attachments

• 2022-07-02.png
    2022-07-02.png
    587.6 KB · Views: 0
Jul 4, 2022 at 9:48 AM Post #4,324 of 4,415
Jul 9, 2022 at 7:41 PM Post #4,325 of 4,415
My RMA returned after some weeks. For some days it worked OK, but the new battery has the same problem. Even at full charge when I completely shut down the device, the battery goes to 0% in 24 hours.
The device is barely usable for me. Sad to tell that this will be my last Hiby device.

Sep 11, 2022 at 11:04 PM Post #4,329 of 4,415
If anyone is looking for a faster way to refresh Tidal downloads. 3000 files in minutes. :grinning:

Pluggables USB-C-E1000 Ethernet adapter works with the Hiby R5 Saber. It uses the Asix AX88179 chip.

1660703810312.png
Interesting, thanks for sharing. How extensively have you tested this? Tidal downloads are excruciatingly slow on my R5 gen2 and I'm wondering whether this would work to speed things up.

However, in my case the Speedtest app is showing 100 Mbps download, yet tidal is only downloading at around 3 Mbps. Which seems to indicate to me that the bottleneck is the Tidal app itself rather than anything to do with my network connection.

Sep 12, 2022 at 3:24 AM Post #4,330 of 4,415
Bug report for Hiby R5 (first version)
- Using app BubbleUPnP playing songs from Lineout BAL (4.4mm)
- After song changing from the end of the song to the next song, audio volume automatically decrease to 0. (silent)

Please fix or if you know how to setup the Hiby R5 to avoid this thing, please suggest me, Hiby Admin. Thanks

Sep 13, 2022 at 5:58 AM Post #4,331 of 4,415
- After song changing from the end of the song to the next song, audio volume automatically decrease to 0. (silent)

Please fix or if you know how to setup the Hiby R5 to avoid this thing, please suggest me, Hiby Admin. Thanks
submitted to HiBy HQ for troubleshooting.

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Sep 13, 2022 at 6:12 AM Post #4,332 of 4,415

What is the app version of BubbleUPnP on your R5 and your current firmware version?

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Sep 13, 2022 at 7:31 AM Post #4,333 of 4,415
Sep 13, 2022 at 1:32 PM Post #4,334 of 4,415
Interesting, thanks for sharing. How extensively have you tested this? Tidal downloads are excruciatingly slow on my R5 gen2 and I'm wondering whether this would work to speed things up.

However, in my case the Speedtest app is showing 100 Mbps download, yet tidal is only downloading at around 3 Mbps. Which seems to indicate to me that the bottleneck is the Tidal app itself rather than anything to do with my network connection.

I actually deleted all offline files and and then restored them (all 3000+). I went much faster. Usually this takes 2 to 3 days over WiFi. *sigh

When I have issues with Tidal downloads on my R5 Saber, I usually delete all downloaded files, clear cache and data, remove and reinstall the app and download all again.

I have noticed that Tidal will sometimes pause downloading went the screen goes off on the R5 saber. Try turning off battery optimization for the App.

On my Samsung S22 Ultra the Tidal downloads fly. About one song every half second.

Last edited:
Sep 13, 2022 at 1:56 PM Post #4,335 of 4,415
I actually deleted all offline files and and then restored them (all 3000+). I went much faster. Usually this takes 2 to 3 days over WiFi. *sigh

When I have issues with Tidal downloads on my R5 Saber, I usually delete all downloaded files, clear cache and data, remove and reinstall the app and download all again.

I have noticed that Tidal will sometimes pause downloading went the screen goes off on the R5 saber. Try turning off battery optimization for the App.

On my Samsung S22 Ultra the Tidal downloads fly. About one song every half second.

That’s good to know. No doubt I will have to redownload it all in the future again. There’s been a few times it did not recognise my downloads while in offline mode.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back