R5, a new Android DAP by Hiby
Apr 16, 2022 at 2:42 AM Post #4,291 of 4,421
How do you guys find navigation of streaming services on the R5? Is it slow with that old CPU and 2GB RAM? I’m trying to assess the viability of the Gen 2.

It works but everything could be a bit faster. The 2GB of RAM seem to be adequate but the Snapdragon 425 is not the fastest.

Boot up of the player takes some time. Apps take a few seconds to start. Once inside an app it is ok to navigate, only typing is a bit tricky in the 4 inch screen.

Everything could be a bit more performant. It feels there is a very short lag after you have pressed something.

For Gen 2 Hiby should have definitely upgraded the processor and possibly even increased RAM a bit. The old processor is the main disadvantage with Gen 2. All the other upgrades are great, especially class A amplification.

Last edited:
Apr 16, 2022 at 5:09 AM Post #4,292 of 4,421
Yes, if you want a fast Android experience then look elsewhere, but if you just intend to use for music playback (my usage) its pefectly functional to select track, sync Music streaming offline files etc.

Apr 16, 2022 at 10:29 AM Post #4,293 of 4,421
After seeing the same specs 2GB ram wont be adequate upgrade from the original.

Apr 16, 2022 at 10:46 AM Post #4,294 of 4,421
After seeing the same specs 2GB ram wont be adequate upgrade from the original.
I don't think I'd upgrade if I already had the R5. I was just about to go for a R5 Sabre then heard about the update which for me with the early pre-order is £70 cheaper than a R5 Sabre from Amazon UK. If I'm unlucky Customs/VAT may add that back.

Apr 16, 2022 at 11:13 AM Post #4,295 of 4,421
I Sent my R5 back to Hiby for a battery replacement almost 3 months ago via USPS and it still has not been delivered yet. It has been out for delivery for a week. Maybe lockdowns are impacting the movement but it did take a month to even leave the US. I'll never go this route again. In hindsight, I should have just tried replacing myself. It just quit taking a charge suddenly. I had an original Hiby R3 that suffered a swollen battery and I managed to find a very tight fitting replacement and it works great now. I sent a pair of IEMs for re-shelling using UPS and it got there in about 7 days. I used a shipping service called parcel monkey and saved some money to boot. By the way I also suspect fast charging was a factor in the shortened life span.

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2022 at 4:24 PM Post #4,298 of 4,421
Looks like a TPU case existed once upon a time.

2022-04-20_15-18-33.jpg

Apr 20, 2022 at 5:06 PM Post #4,299 of 4,421
I Sent my R5 back to Hiby for a battery replacement almost 3 months ago via USPS and it still has not been delivered yet. It has been out for delivery for a week. Maybe lockdowns are impacting the movement but it did take a month to even leave the US. I'll never go this route again. In hindsight, I should have just tried replacing myself. It just quit taking a charge suddenly. I had an original Hiby R3 that suffered a swollen battery and I managed to find a very tight fitting replacement and it works great now. I sent a pair of IEMs for re-shelling using UPS and it got there in about 7 days. I used a shipping service called parcel monkey and saved some money to boot. By the way I also suspect fast charging was a factor in the shortened life span.
Yeah, my unit is sitting in the local HiBy post office waiting to be picked up by them for repair. It has been more than a month. It needs a new battery and who knows what else. Hopefully the battery will do the trick.

May 9, 2022 at 11:17 PM Post #4,300 of 4,421
Has anyone had issues with the HiBy Music app constantly crashing after the most recent update? I can’t even get it to open it just crashes every time, only way to get it to work is for me to disable the app and enable it again to delete the update.

I’m using the R5 Saber if that makes any difference. Thanks in advance!

May 10, 2022 at 7:48 AM Post #4,301 of 4,421
Has anyone had issues with the HiBy Music app constantly crashing after the most recent update? I can’t even get it to open it just crashes every time, only way to get it to work is for me to disable the app and enable it again to delete the update.

Which updates? v1.7.0 build 6041 is my version and it works fine.

May 11, 2022 at 10:42 AM Post #4,303 of 4,421

A system restart after any updates to the HiByMusic player may also help.

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
May 14, 2022 at 9:40 PM Post #4,304 of 4,421
A system restart after any updates to the HiByMusic player may also help.
Much appreciated! I did notice that after a restart my HiBy app was behaving better.

On another note I wish a TPU or hard plastic cover was available. I guess my player turned on while in my pocket and when I went to use it the battery was drained. The buttons get so easily pressed with the leather case :sweat::sweat:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back