R5, a new Android DAP by Hiby
Dec 1, 2021 at 8:54 AM Post #4,126 of 4,421
So I presume you are on that version and everything is working okay?

Well, I was and everything was working. I updated yesterday to the latest version only to find out that it still isn't working for UltraHD. Time to roll back, again.

Dec 1, 2021 at 8:58 AM Post #4,127 of 4,421
@Joe Bloggs

As noted above, Amazon Music no longer works in UltraHD since Amazon added spatial audio a few revisions back. It's odd because it still works on my R6 Pro and the OS software seems similar.

Also, the convolution plugin still crashes when loading an irs file. I have have tried several files with the same result.

Any chance these problems can be fixed?

Dec 1, 2021 at 9:32 PM Post #4,129 of 4,421
How has the functionality been with this player and Spotify? I'm looking for a player that would be able to play *downloaded* Spotify files so that I don't have to take my phone out of my pocket every time I want to change songs, artist or album. Has the experience with playing albums that have been downloaded to the player through Spotify been smooth?

Dec 1, 2021 at 10:16 PM Post #4,130 of 4,421
Well, I’ve initiated a return for the HiBy R5. It’s usability with Amazon Music has been a complete failure. I’ve spent over 5 hours messing around with firmware updates, changing settings, cache wipes, resets. Here is what I’ve discovered:

1) Currently Amazon Music tracks in 24bit/96-192khz is down scaled to 16bit/44.1.

2) USB-DAC mode will not play Amazon Music tracks (freezes song until USB is disconnected from DAC.

3) Remote link function not useable with iPhone, at least not with other apps besides HiBy.

4) iPhone 12 and Dell laptop can do all the above with no problem.

I wanted to like the HiBy R5 and use it for other situations like offline FLAC, portability and Bluetooth but those were not going to be my main uses.

Im going to be looking into other options to meet my needs.

Dec 2, 2021 at 3:55 AM Post #4,131 of 4,421
@Joe Bloggs

As noted above, Amazon Music no longer works in UltraHD since Amazon added spatial audio a few revisions back. It's odd because it still works on my R6 Pro and the OS software seems similar.

Also, the convolution plugin still crashes when loading an irs file. I have have tried several files with the same result.

Any chance these problems can be fixed?
It seems they are not really wanting to update the convolution plugin. It works, if you have a 4-way wav file (which you can generate from the single channel file in Audacity, by choosing to export to 4 channels and having the single input linked to channels 1 and 4 (with no input to channels 2 and 3). And there should be a dozen or so zero samples as padding at the beginning, to avoid the clicks that still seem to occur.

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Dec 2, 2021 at 8:01 AM Post #4,132 of 4,421
It seems they are not really wanting to update the convolution plugin. It works, if you have a 4-way wav file (which you can generate from the single channel file in Audacity, by choosing to export to 4 channels and having the single input linked to channels 1 and 4 (with no input to channels 2 and 3). And there should be a dozen or so zero samples as padding at the beginning, to avoid the clicks that still seem to occur.

Well, that's disappointing. Same for Amazon Music as well?

Dec 2, 2021 at 7:36 PM Post #4,133 of 4,421

Dec 2, 2021 at 7:40 PM Post #4,134 of 4,421
I can’t play Ultra HD tracks on Amazon Music with the R5. Here is a screen shot of my HiBy. I sent it to the seller and requested a return authorization. Please see their response below. What do you think?

Attachments

• 1E96A6F5-9C8E-40F2-9786-078859818DC4.jpeg
    1E96A6F5-9C8E-40F2-9786-078859818DC4.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 0
  • 4773C9B2-7C84-4147-AF13-2B07DB8A0EE6.jpeg
    4773C9B2-7C84-4147-AF13-2B07DB8A0EE6.jpeg
    832.1 KB · Views: 0
Dec 2, 2021 at 8:06 PM Post #4,135 of 4,421
I can’t play Ultra HD tracks on Amazon Music with the R5. Here is a screen shot of my HiBy. I sent it to the seller and requested a return authorization. Please see their response below. What do you think?
Sounds correct to me. Although after using Amazon for quite a while and comparing to Tidal, Amazon quality seems to be lacking a bit in dynamic range. Just my opinion

Dec 2, 2021 at 9:19 PM Post #4,136 of 4,421

I can play Amazon UltraHD tracks on my R6 Pro and New R6 (but not my R5) with the correct sample rates showing in the app and 192 kHz always showing in the status bar (and as "device capability"). So, their response is incorrect when they say it is the same. Note that it did work correctly in earlier versions of Amazon Music (before Spatial Audio) on the R5.

Dec 3, 2021 at 7:56 AM Post #4,138 of 4,421
The DTA architecture is transparent to Android apps. It looks like the Amazon app right now can't be made to understand in other ways that the player is capable of high sample rates, so is pushing out the data to the player expecting it to be resampled, and reporting as such. But this is not actually what's happening. The number at the top reports the sample rate directly from in front of the DAC and is always correct.

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

Dec 3, 2021 at 8:08 AM Post #4,139 of 4,421
The DTA architecture is transparent to Android apps. It looks like the Amazon app right now can't be made to understand in other ways that the player is capable of high sample rates, so is pushing out the data to the player expecting it to be resampled, and reporting as such. But this is not actually what's happening. The number at the top reports the sample rate directly from in front of the DAC and is always correct.

When Amazon Music was working on the R5 (and currently on my R6 Pro and New R6), it was reporting "device capability" as 24/192 and the status bar also showed 192 kHz. The status bar always showed 192 kHz even if Amazon was playing a lower bitrate track. The consensus seemed to be that Amazon was upsampling those tracks to the "device capability" for whatever reason (maybe to prevent sample rate changes - clicks and pops). The concern that I have is that Amazon is only sending the UltraHD track when it detects that the device is capable and otherwise sends the lower bitrate stream. I don't have any idea how to verify this, however.

Dec 3, 2021 at 8:15 AM Post #4,140 of 4,421
When Amazon Music was working on the R5 (and currently on my R6 Pro and New R6), it was reporting "device capability" as 24/192 and the status bar also showed 192 kHz. The status bar always showed 192 kHz even if Amazon was playing a lower bitrate track. The consensus seemed to be that Amazon was upsampling those tracks to the "device capability" for whatever reason (maybe to prevent sample rate changes - clicks and pops). The concern that I have is that Amazon is only sending the UltraHD track when it detects that the device is capable and otherwise sends the lower bitrate stream. I don't have any idea how to verify this, however.
If it had sent the low samplerate stream, it would have showed up at the top as the low sample rate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back