R5, a new Android DAP by Hiby
Nov 17, 2021 at 5:16 PM Post #4,096 of 4,410
It depends on the software as much as the hardware. Roon establishes what the rate is supported by the OS it has no idea that the Hiby can bypass SRC and then resamples everything that doesn't fall into that criteria. Doesnt matter if the device bypasses SRC or not. Same happens for PlexAmp to. Other DAPs it's 48/24 as that's what Androif reports or on some it's 192/24 on Fiio M11. Apps that are designed to not do anything will just let the os handle the resampling which is what Tidal, Qobuz, Apple Music etc do do you get native pass through on devices that bypass SRC.
So I think you are using the R5 as a Roon endpoint, is that correct? Must be a Roon issue as much as the R5. I can easily send a hi res file from my phone or PC to the R5 and use the R5 as a hi res DAC.

I have no idea what PlexAmp is so I can't comment on that. Is that app capable of outputting bitperfect information? A lot of web streamers modify the signal which might be an issue for this app.

I would suggest that in a situation like this it is critical to give the usage scenario. It is common to send output from a phone or PC to the R5. Roon seems to its own world. I think your issue may be DLNA related but that is just a guess.

Personally I don't want to give prospective buyers of the unit a wrong impression of its capabilities. Its actually a fairly straight forward device. My only beef is that it has a rather slow processor throughput; sometimes it takes longer to make things happen in Amazon HD than I would like.

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2021 at 5:17 PM Post #4,097 of 4,410
On my R5, when streaming Amazon music, the current Amazon app reports the device capability as 16/44. However, the status bar still says 192 kHz. Again, this used to work correctly in earlier versions of the app in that both said 192 kHz. It may be that downloaded tracks are fine and only streaming is affected.
Yes, must be a streaming issue vs downloads. I only use the device for downloads. I have a large 1TB card and it is about 2/3 full with Amazon music and a few self loaded titles.

Nov 18, 2021 at 10:27 AM Post #4,098 of 4,410
Yes, must be a streaming issue vs downloads. I only use the device for downloads. I have a large 1TB card and it is about 2/3 full with Amazon music and a few self loaded titles.

Amazon Music version 17.15.6 seems to be the last version that works with streaming at 24/192.

Nov 23, 2021 at 12:33 PM Post #4,101 of 4,410
I Purchased the R5 Saber for $262 from Ali (11.11 )

Should i install anything (diff launcher, or music app) to enhance my experience ?

I come from Plenue's BBE eq so would like to get the closest possible to that

Well, I use the Shade launcher from the play store myself, but I do prefer simple and functional. As for player apps, UAPP is the way to go as it fully supports the R5 and the high resolution formats, including DSD.

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2021 at 12:55 PM Post #4,103 of 4,410
Thanks for the quick response!

Is UAPP an advantage when it comes to a better listening experience as well or just other features ?

Well, I would say mostly for features, but as I said it fully supports the high-resolution modes of the R5 without resampling, which can be hit or miss with other apps. There is a free trial also:

https://www.extreamsd.com/index.php/uapp-trial

There is a thread here on the forums for more research:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/usb...quitous-usb-audio-support-for-android.704065/

Nov 23, 2021 at 1:17 PM Post #4,104 of 4,410
I have UAPP installed on my R5 Saber and have been vary happy with it. As mentioned above, it supports the high-res mode directly. Plus, if you are a Tidal subscriber, you can use UAPP to access your Tidal account as well.

Nov 23, 2021 at 6:09 PM Post #4,106 of 4,410
I Purchased the R5 Saber for $262 from Ali (11.11 )

Should i install anything (diff launcher, or music app) to enhance my experience ?

I come from Plenue's BBE eq so would like to get the closest possible to that

Nice price! Was that from Hiby official store on Ali?

I just ordered it on Hifigo for USD 339 which was the lowest price I could find in a long time.

Only Hiby themselves could sell it cheaper on Friday on their own website where they teased up to 27% off…

Edit: it’s actually 15% off in this case and they’ll also sell it for USD 339.

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2021 at 6:00 AM Post #4,107 of 4,410
That was trough the official Hiby store there

Price was $289 and i added a $27 coupon
Nice price! Was that from Hiby official store on Ali?

I just ordered it on Hifigo for USD 339 which was the lowest price I could find in a long time.

Only Hiby themselves could sell it cheaper on Friday on their own website where they teased up to 27% off…

Edit: it’s actually 15% off in this case and they’ll also sell it for USD 339.

Nov 25, 2021 at 3:36 PM Post #4,108 of 4,410
I’m considering buying an R5 or R3 but would like confirmation on a few things before I pull the trigger.

I currently use an old Laptop that is a dedicated music player. It has the Amazon Music App installed and can output 24bit 192khz via USB to a Schiit Modi. Then RCA out to my 1971 Marantz receiver. I use Google Remote Desktop to control from my iPhone.

1) Would the R5 replace the function of the laptop and also replace the Schiit DAC and stream UHD music off Amazon? Using the Hiby app I could control by my iPhone?

2) Can I also use the R5 as a portable to stream Hi Res Music 24bit 192khz off Amazon Music to my Bluetooth headphones if they support AptX or LDAC?

3) I have 1000 CDs that never get listened to. Could I rip them to FLAC and have enough space in the R5’s SD card for them (offline). Or would offline Amazon Music downloads be a better option if they are available?

Thanks

Nov 25, 2021 at 10:51 PM Post #4,109 of 4,410
I
I’m considering buying an R5 or R3 but would like confirmation on a few things before I pull the trigger.

I currently use an old Laptop that is a dedicated music player. It has the Amazon Music App installed and can output 24bit 192khz via USB to a Schiit Modi. Then RCA out to my 1971 Marantz receiver. I use Google Remote Desktop to control from my iPhone.

1) Would the R5 replace the function of the laptop and also replace the Schiit DAC and stream UHD music off Amazon? Using the Hiby app I could control by my iPhone?

2) Can I also use the R5 as a portable to stream Hi Res Music 24bit 192khz off Amazon Music to my Bluetooth headphones if they support AptX or LDAC?

3) I have 1000 CDs that never get listened to. Could I rip them to FLAC and have enough space in the R5’s SD card for them (offline). Or would offline Amazon Music downloads be a better option if they are available?

Thanks
I can't answer number 1.

2 - LDAC and AptX aren't going to give you full 24 bit 192 khz. They are limited by bluetooth and do involve compressions.
My experience with LDAC (I don't know about AptX) is that the highest resolution version runs into interference problems very easily.
The middle setting seems more reliable on my LDAC headphones.

3-There is no easy way to answer number 3. I use a mix of both. I find the self ripped FLACs are generally more problem and glitch free.
But I love the ease of HD and Ultra HD downloads form Amazon and really focus on that.
Remember a typical album is 300-450mb at Redbook resolution so you can do the math with your memory card.

Nov 26, 2021 at 12:08 AM Post #4,110 of 4,410
I

I can't answer number 1.

2 - LDAC and AptX aren't going to give you full 24 bit 192 khz. They are limited by bluetooth and do involve compressions.
My experience with LDAC (I don't know about AptX) is that the highest resolution version runs into interference problems very easily.
The middle setting seems more reliable on my LDAC headphones.

3-There is no easy way to answer number 3. I use a mix of both. I find the self ripped FLACs are generally more problem and glitch free.
But I love the ease of HD and Ultra HD downloads form Amazon and really focus on that.
Remember a typical album is 300-450mb at Redbook resolution so you can do the math with your memory card.
Thaks for the response. So the R5 works well with Amazon UHD tracks?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back