R5, a new Android DAP by Hiby
Oct 25, 2021 at 4:08 PM Post #4,081 of 4,410
Thanks a lot, I think that could be it!

Yeah, it's happened to me before because my Dignis case is a tight fit (which I like) and the volume button is a bit easy to press accidentally.

Oct 30, 2021 at 11:55 AM Post #4,083 of 4,410
Hello. I'm getting a strange downscaling issue with Amazon Music's latest update (Hiby R5 Saber), it's downscaling to 44.1/16 and not playing in Ultra HD.
IMG-3465.jpg

But when I connect an external DAC (Chord Mojo) it re-upscales to 192/24.
IMG-3466.jpg

On my other DAP the app seems to work fine (not sure, there's a debate in its own thread).
IMG-3467.jpg

Has anyone else had this issue?

Nov 16, 2021 at 10:52 AM Post #4,088 of 4,410
Hello. I'm getting a strange downscaling issue with Amazon Music's latest update (Hiby R5 Saber), it's downscaling to 44.1/16 and not playing in Ultra HD.
IMG-3465.jpg
But when I connect an external DAC (Chord Mojo) it re-upscales to 192/24.
IMG-3466.jpg
On my other DAP the app seems to work fine (not sure, there's a debate in its own thread).
IMG-3467.jpg

Has anyone else had this issue?
The DAC in the Hiby only offers itself out at 44.1/24 to the Andorid OS layer that Amazon Music is using to establish what the device is capable of. I get the same issue when using Roon which will always resample to the native rate the OS tells it the DAC works at in Android.

Nov 16, 2021 at 5:16 PM Post #4,089 of 4,410
The DAC in the Hiby only offers itself out at 44.1/24 to the Andorid OS layer that Amazon Music is using to establish what the device is capable of. I get the same issue when using Roon which will always resample to the native rate the OS tells it the DAC works at in Android.
I think that depends on your Android device. What is the scenario (e.g. what phone to the R5 as a DAC)?

If you are Android maybe UAPP or the equivalent can help out.

I know on IOS many apps can overcome the limits and stream hi res to the DAC.

Basically they send unadulterated data to the DAP.

Nov 16, 2021 at 6:12 PM Post #4,090 of 4,410
The DAC in the Hiby only offers itself out at 44.1/24 to the Andorid OS layer that Amazon Music.
But the prior version of Amazon Music played at Ultra HD 192/24.
I think that depends on your Android device. What is the scenario (e.g. what phone to the R5 as a DAC)?
Amazon Music app in the R5, no more devices. I haven't tried UAPP but I think it doesn't support Amazon Music. Anyways I sold my R5 and can't do more tests.
Thank you both for your answers.

Nov 16, 2021 at 8:40 PM Post #4,091 of 4,410
But the prior version of Amazon Music played at Ultra HD 192/24.

Amazon Music app in the R5, no more devices. I haven't tried UAPP but I think it doesn't support Amazon Music. Anyways I sold my R5 and can't do more tests.
Thank you both for your answers.

You are correct in that Amazon Music used to work up to 24/192. It seems to have gotten broken when they introduced spatial audio a few versions back. Hopefully (for those that still have the R5), it will get sorted soon. It still works correctly on my R6 2020 which is the same Android version.

Nov 16, 2021 at 9:40 PM Post #4,092 of 4,410
Are you sure that Amazon Music is broken? I have not looked at the settings recently but all my downloaded music still sounds the same. Some of the hi res tracks still seem amazing (CSN Couch album....wow). I should mention I download from Amazon Music, I don't stream on the Hiby. Its mainly my car soundtrack device.

OK just checked and the Yes Album clearly says it is in 24/ 192.

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2021 at 4:54 AM Post #4,093 of 4,410

If you are Android maybe UAPP or the equivalent can help out.

I know on IOS many apps can overcome the limits and stream hi res to the DAC.

Basically they send unadulterated data to the DAP.
It depends on the software as much as the hardware. Roon establishes what the rate is supported by the OS it has no idea that the Hiby can bypass SRC and then resamples everything that doesn't fall into that criteria. Doesnt matter if the device bypasses SRC or not. Same happens for PlexAmp to. Other DAPs it's 48/24 as that's what Androif reports or on some it's 192/24 on Fiio M11. Apps that are designed to not do anything will just let the os handle the resampling which is what Tidal, Qobuz, Apple Music etc do do you get native pass through on devices that bypass SRC.

Nov 17, 2021 at 6:44 AM Post #4,094 of 4,410
@Joe Bloggs the issue about the R5 having skips and dropouts when used as a USB DAC seems to be linked to 44.1 sample rate with it more prevelant at 24bit. When it's playing 192, 96 or 48khz material it doesn't seem to occur. I initially thought it was all rates but on closer inspection it's the 44.1 clock rates so is this a limitation of the usb DAC clock?

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2021 at 7:07 AM Post #4,095 of 4,410
Are you sure that Amazon Music is broken? I have not looked at the settings recently but all my downloaded music still sounds the same. Some of the hi res tracks still seem amazing (CSN Couch album....wow). I should mention I download from Amazon Music, I don't stream on the Hiby. Its mainly my car soundtrack device.

OK just checked and the Yes Album clearly says it is in 24/ 192.

On my R5, when streaming Amazon music, the current Amazon app reports the device capability as 16/44. However, the status bar still says 192 kHz. Again, this used to work correctly in earlier versions of the app in that both said 192 kHz. It may be that downloaded tracks are fine and only streaming is affected.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back