R5, a new Android DAP by Hiby
Oct 7, 2021 at 3:55 AM Post #4,037 of 4,421
Seems to me the focus for new models is on higher end models. That seems to be true for most manufacturers. Maybe if semiconductor allocations are limited might as well go up in price. Just a thought.

Alongside the competition from advancing budget smartphones with variety of Bluetooth and USB dongle DAC/AMPs. The competition is high and returns not so much.

Oct 9, 2021 at 5:49 PM Post #4,038 of 4,421
Hi all, after some months using my R5s only with 4.4mm cable, I just discovered that 3.5mm output doesn't work. I've plugged in my DT-770pro to try them and there is no sound at all. On the upper left corner there is the volume level and the symbol "BAL", so I assume that it keeps the balanced output even if I plug in a 3.5mm cable.

Edit: solved, after some plug/unplug tries it started working....

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2021 at 1:07 AM Post #4,039 of 4,421
Hi all, after some months using my R5s only with 4.4mm cable, I just discovered that 3.5mm output doesn't work. I've plugged in my DT-770pro to try them and there is no sound at all. On the upper left corner there is the volume level and the symbol "BAL", so I assume that it keeps the balanced output even if I plug in a 3.5mm cable.

I think volume can be set separately for both outputs, so it is possible one was set to low.

Oct 10, 2021 at 7:35 AM Post #4,040 of 4,421

Sounds like maybe the 4.4 mm tip contact in the jack was stuck closed, thus the "BAL" indicator.

Oct 12, 2021 at 2:44 PM Post #4,041 of 4,421
Имею в наличие Fiio Btr 5 и Fiio btr 3k. Как разница в звуке,,?. По сравнению с Hiby r5 или r5s. Слушаю dizer flack. Стал чаще по проводу так как звук реально лучше. Сейчас можно взять 19000руб. R5 или R5s 22000руб. Подскажите пожалуйста, стоит переплачивать за R5 Saber? Сравнение с R5?

Oct 14, 2021 at 8:44 PM Post #4,042 of 4,421
Silly question. I play music on this device 90% of the time using Amazon Music HD. Today I was using the HiBy app and it seems like I was in a shuffle mode. How does one turn shuffle mode off permanently?

Also wondering how many people using the native HiBy app vs. UAPP (which I do have).

By the way even though I was using a regular old fashioned redbook file, not a hi res file, it was a great listening experience. The R5 is a very pleasant and musical unit.

Oct 14, 2021 at 9:08 PM Post #4,043 of 4,421
Silly question. I play music on this device 90% of the time using Amazon Music HD. Today I was using the HiBy app and it seems like I was in a shuffle mode. How does one turn shuffle mode off permanently?

Also wondering how many people using the native HiBy app vs. UAPP (which I do have).

By the way even though I was using a regular old fashioned redbook file, not a hi res file, it was a great listening experience. The R5 is a very pleasant and musical unit.
I have the R5S so basically the same device and I switched from Amazon HD to Tidal Hifi so I could use the native Hiby app. The Hiby app with the latest update ties in with Tidal seamlessly and has a better looking UI imo. I was pretty blown away by the sound quality difference between Amazon HD and Tidal. Sticking with Tidal for the foreseeable future.

Oct 14, 2021 at 9:32 PM Post #4,044 of 4,421
I have the R5S so basically the same device and I switched from Amazon HD to Tidal Hifi so I could use the native Hiby app. The Hiby app with the latest update ties in with Tidal seamlessly and has a better looking UI imo. I was pretty blown away by the sound quality difference between Amazon HD and Tidal. Sticking with Tidal for the foreseeable future.
I was not looking for a comparison of Tidal vs Amazon. I was looking for help with the HiBy app and thoughts about the HiBy app vs. UAPP. Thanks anyway.

Oct 15, 2021 at 4:20 PM Post #4,045 of 4,421
I was not looking for a comparison of Tidal vs Amazon. I was looking for help with the HiBy app and thoughts about the HiBy app vs. UAPP. Thanks anyway.
I tried to use the Hiby app and did not like it. Granted it was a couple versions ago, but my feelings about it probably hold with the latest. The app failed to import my whole library from the SD card after scanning. Albums would show in the list and then have no tracks in them. But if I navigated manually by folder, then I could find those albums/tracks. The Hiby app also was always extremely sluggish in my limited use.

UAPP on the other hand was very much worth the price. The app runs very smooth on the R5, updates my library quickly when I make changes, plays the audio files of any sort perfectly. Rarely is there lag or crashing of UAPP. I would recommend it for sure.

Oct 15, 2021 at 8:19 PM Post #4,046 of 4,421
I like UAPP by a large margin. The HiBy app is much improved now (it used to be pretty much rubbish), but they appear to have put a lot of time into improvements. Still, I stick with UAPP because I find it to do what I want with very little effort.

Oct 16, 2021 at 4:31 AM Post #4,048 of 4,421
Hello. Just installed UAPP on my R5s. I also installed BubbleUPnP on my tablet to control the R5. Unfortunately I can't seem to find my music which is stored on an external sd card on the R5. I get a folder empty message when I select storage.

Oct 16, 2021 at 7:33 AM Post #4,049 of 4,421
Just purchased UAPP on my r5s gonna give it a shot.

UAPP fully supports the R5/R5S. I don't think you will be disappointed. :)

Oct 16, 2021 at 8:14 AM Post #4,050 of 4,421
Hello. Just installed UAPP on my R5s. I also installed BubbleUPnP on my tablet to control the R5. Unfortunately I can't seem to find my music which is stored on an external sd card on the R5. I get a folder empty message when I select storage.
If the problem is at the R5 level and not the tablet I would suggest standard troubleshooting steps. Turn off the R5, remove SD card, reinsert card, reboot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back