R5, a new Android DAP by Hiby
Jun 28, 2020 at 10:45 AM Post #2,536 of 4,421
Easy to do especially if you use the included case which blocks the view of how far the 4.4mm plug is inserted.

I was listening to a hi-res flac album, and the sample rate did not change throughout the album. When I turned off gapless, the clicking went away.
So to be clear, the playback actually became gapless when gapless is turned off? Since this is not an on/off switch -- do you mean when you changed it to "insert silence" it became actually gapless?

Last edited:
HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Jun 28, 2020 at 11:03 AM Post #2,537 of 4,421
So to be clear, the playback actually became gapless when gapless is turned off? Since this is not an on/off switch -- do you mean when you changed it to "insert silence" it became actually gapless?

Actually, no. With gapless turned on, there was a clipping sound between each track of B.B. King’s live album. I then went into the settings of HiBy Music and changed “Track Transitions” to Fade in / Fade out. I tried other hi-res live recordings in my library with the same result, so I know it’s not the B.B. King album.

Last edited:
Jun 28, 2020 at 11:12 AM Post #2,538 of 4,421
By the way, I am running the latest firmware.

Jun 28, 2020 at 11:23 AM Post #2,539 of 4,421
Actually, no. With gapless turned on, there was a clipping sound between each track of B.B. King’s live album. I then went into the settings of HiBy Music and changed “Track Transitions” to Fade in / Fade out. I tried other hi-res live recordings in my library with the same result, so I know it’s not the B.B. King album.

Neil Diamond’s Hot August Night with gapless on clipped on the the first couple tracks, then didn’t afterwards, so maybe there is some sort of sampling rate change after all. It’s not a big deal, especially considering the awesomeness of the overall performance of the R5. :L3000:

Jun 28, 2020 at 11:36 AM Post #2,540 of 4,421
Neil Diamond’s Hot August Night with gapless on clipped on the the first couple tracks, then didn’t afterwards, so maybe there is some sort of sampling rate change after all. It’s not a big deal, especially considering the awesomeness of the overall performance of the R5. :L3000:
I highly doubt the same album would have different sampling rates between tracks.

Jun 28, 2020 at 7:12 PM Post #2,542 of 4,421
Are you referring to Hiby music player app re gapless playback issues? If so, I complained about this months ago and stopped using it entirely. FiiO and UAPP play gapless no issues.

Jun 28, 2020 at 9:08 PM Post #2,543 of 4,421
Are you referring to Hiby music player app re gapless playback issues? If so, I complained about this months ago and stopped using it entirely. FiiO and UAPP play gapless no issues.

Yes, the HiBy app. I’m brand new to HiBy and the R5, so I just wanted to report this issue so it can be addressed in a future update.

Jun 29, 2020 at 9:34 AM Post #2,545 of 4,421
So this morning the postman rang the bell and keeping his social distancing pointed at the floor where he'd left a little box. Of course I knew what was in it. Just two weeks after it was sitting in the Hiby warehouse it was now in my hands.....the Hiby R5. A bit nervous because other DAPs I'd had, had let me down. Worst of all was the iBasso DX160. Beautiful sounding but pretty crap Bluetooth. Had to send two back. Hiby R6 (not pro, a good deal from Amazon), stainless steel, built like a 'brick shithouse' but sounded like my mobile phone, unusable Bluetooth, and just too heavy. My FiiO M9, everything was good, great sound, great Bluetooth, but so slow, usable but only just. Anyway I accidentally destroyed it, hence this Hiby R5. Still have a FiiO M6, and my phones but not enough power to really let the music shine. So Hiby R5...... almost a copy of the FiiO M9 in shape. Longer screen but similar in the hand, but much faster. Much! My first impressions are WOW! Google Play! I set up Amazon HD, Tidal Masters using my playlists, and a card with a few thousand fairly low bitrate CD rips etc, from the olden days. Bluetooth to my iFi Zen Blue, and thus my HiFi, holds a strong enough LDAC signal and sounds really great. Sounds great too, connected to my Radsone ES100.... and holds the signal. Listening to Amazon and Tidal, wired, with Blon 03 and ISN audio S16, using 4.4mm balanced out is exceptional, by any standards, and with a 3.5 SE YBF iss014, good sounding too. I don't like bigger DAPs so the form factor is great. I just hope all the features keep working up to this level. This is a GOOD dap.

Last edited:
Jun 29, 2020 at 11:58 AM Post #2,546 of 4,421
So this morning the postman rang the bell and keeping his social distancing pointed at the floor where he'd left a little box. Of course I knew what was in it. Just two weeks after it was sitting in the Hiby warehouse it was now in my hands.....the Hiby R5. A bit nervous because other DAPs I'd had, had let me down. Worst of all was the iBasso DX160. Beautiful sounding but pretty crap Bluetooth. Had to send two back. Hiby R6 (not pro, a good deal from Amazon), stainless steel, built like a 'brick shithouse' but sounded like my mobile phone, unusable Bluetooth, and just too heavy. My FiiO M9, everything was good, great sound, great Bluetooth, but so slow, usable but only just. Anyway I accidentally destroyed it, hence this Hiby R5. Still have a FiiO M6, and my phones but not enough power to really let the music shine. So Hiby R5...... almost a copy of the FiiO M9 in shape. Longer screen but similar in the hand, but much faster. Much! My first impressions are WOW! Google Play! I set up Amazon HD, Tidal Masters using my playlists, and a card with a few thousand fairly low bitrate CD rips etc, from the olden days. Bluetooth to my iFi Zen Blue, and thus my HiFi, holds a strong enough LDAC signal and sounds really great. Sounds great too, connected to my Radsone ES100.... and holds the signal. Listening to Amazon and Tidal, wired, with Blon 03 and ISN audio S16, using 4.4mm balanced out is exceptional, by any standards, and with a 3.5 SE YBF iss014, good sounding too. I don't like bigger DAPs so the form factor is great. I just hope all the features keep working up to this level. This is a GOOD dap.

Think you're lucky, or live in an environment with less interference. Mine has constant drops with BT when walking around the city with the R5 in my jacket pocket. Think it was the same at the gym.

Jun 29, 2020 at 12:43 PM Post #2,547 of 4,421
Think you're lucky, or live in an environment with less interference. Mine has constant drops with BT when walking around the city with the R5 in my jacket pocket. Think it was the same at the gym.

I don't usually walk around with the R5 in my pocket. That's because I have a heart condition so can't really do much walking. So my main reason for Bluetooth on the R5 is to control my iFi Zen Blue. Of course I can do that with my phones or FiiO M6, but not all Bluetooth is created equal. Theoretically the R5, M6, Samsung Galaxy S9 plus and LG V30 should sound the same on LDAC. They don't as the Hiby R5 is much louder than the others and I think better. I know how poor DAPs can be for Bluetooth and to get Bluetooth properly working on one is pure luck. The iBasso DX160 has such poor, non functional bluetooth I don't know how they get the liberty to say it has Bluetooth. I have seen that a few owners say their R5 has dysfunctional Bluetooth and I feel sad for those people if it doesn't work properly. It is truly disgraceful that companies advertise Bluetooth when it doesn't function usably on many of their units. It is just plain wrong. Fiio seem to have the Bluetooth working on most of their DAPs and I can say the Bluetooth 'seems' to be OK on my R5. Phew....I hope it stays that way! Manufacturers should be much more honest about Bluetooth on their DAPs and reviewers rarely ever mention testing Bluetooth in reviews....which is not helping us buyers.

Jun 29, 2020 at 3:36 PM Post #2,548 of 4,421
I don't usually walk around with the R5 in my pocket. That's because I have a heart condition so can't really do much walking. So my main reason for Bluetooth on the R5 is to control my iFi Zen Blue. Of course I can do that with my phones or FiiO M6, but not all Bluetooth is created equal. Theoretically the R5, M6, Samsung Galaxy S9 plus and LG V30 should sound the same on LDAC. They don't as the Hiby R5 is much louder than the others and I think better. I know how poor DAPs can be for Bluetooth and to get Bluetooth properly working on one is pure luck. The iBasso DX160 has such poor, non functional bluetooth I don't know how they get the liberty to say it has Bluetooth. I have seen that a few owners say their R5 has dysfunctional Bluetooth and I feel sad for those people if it doesn't work properly. It is truly disgraceful that companies advertise Bluetooth when it doesn't function usably on many of their units. It is just plain wrong. Fiio seem to have the Bluetooth working on most of their DAPs and I can say the Bluetooth 'seems' to be OK on my R5. Phew....I hope it stays that way! Manufacturers should be much more honest about Bluetooth on their DAPs and reviewers rarely ever mention testing Bluetooth in reviews....which is not helping us buyers.

Bluetooth 5.0 improved connectivity, in my view. Glad the R5 has it.

Jun 29, 2020 at 3:48 PM Post #2,549 of 4,421
Bluetooth 5.0 improved connectivity, in my view. Glad the R5 has it.
Should be that BT5 makes a difference. But I've read a couple of articles that say in the present configurations it doesn't improve from 4.2. Plus the iBasso DX160 has Bluetooth 5 and that has awful BT.
Anyway I think the Hiby R5 is BT 4.2? Is your BT good on your R5?

Jun 29, 2020 at 4:25 PM Post #2,550 of 4,421
Should be that BT5 makes a difference. But I've read a couple of articles that say in the present configurations it doesn't improve from 4.2. Plus the iBasso DX160 has Bluetooth 5 and that has awful BT.
Anyway I think the Hiby R5 is BT 4.2? Is your BT good on your R5?

oops, my bad, v4.2. I was considering another dap when I bought the R5, and it had v5.0.

Haven’t tried bt on the R5 since I currently don’t have bt earphones, but when I did, I found v5.0 had way less dropouts ... may have been more about implementation than version.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back