R5, a new Android DAP by Hiby
Jun 30, 2020 at 5:53 PM Post #2,555 of 4,421
It has Cirrus Logic DAC's so the sound signature will be slightly different. It cannot be used as a DAC only. It doesn't have the 4.4 mm balanced out- it has the smaller 2.5 mm jack. It's also $600+. I personally haven't heard it but I'm certain the sq will be good if not great. I think it may come down to feature set. Not sure but don't think the AK is full Android so that limits what apps can be downloaded.

Jun 30, 2020 at 6:45 PM Post #2,556 of 4,421
It has Cirrus Logic DAC's so the sound signature will be slightly different. It cannot be used as a DAC only. It doesn't have the 4.4 mm balanced out- it has the smaller 2.5 mm jack. It's also $600+. I personally haven't heard it but I'm certain the sq will be good if not great. I think it may come down to feature set. Not sure but don't think the AK is full Android so that limits what apps can be downloaded.

yeah i just dont like battery life on sr15

Jul 2, 2020 at 12:57 AM Post #2,558 of 4,421
@Joe Bloggs, I’ve noticed the HiBy music app on my new R5 does not accurately indicate hi-res albums with the HD symbol; 24/44.1 and 24/48 files are not indicated as such. Also, all my album tracks have a little yellow circle with a small plus sign next to it, what does this mean?

I’m finding the R5 to be a bit warm in the upper frequencies. No EQ is being used, still, I love my new toy!

Jul 2, 2020 at 1:06 AM Post #2,559 of 4,421
@Joe Bloggs, I’ve noticed the HiBy music app on my new R5 does not accurately indicate hi-res albums with the HD symbol; 24/44.1 and 24/48 files are not indicated as such. Also, all my album tracks have a little yellow circle with a small plus sign next to it, what does this mean?

I’m finding the R5 to be a bit warm in the upper frequencies. No EQ is being used, still, I love my new toy!
Hello Brent,

That yellow symbol is a symbol standing for lossless quality (it's meant to be a shiny CD with glint on the upper right). Lossy tracks would have a grey disc with a chip on it in comparison 😅

I will advise the company regarding the exact cutoff for displaying the HR symbol...

edit: which does however seem to cut off above 48kHz sample rate...
https://www.jas-audio.or.jp/english/hi-res-logo-en
noting that 40kHz analog performance would require 80kHz or above digital sample rate, while digital formats specified are 96kHz or above, etc.

Last edited:
HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Jul 2, 2020 at 11:17 AM Post #2,560 of 4,421
Hello Brent,

That yellow symbol is a symbol standing for lossless quality (it's meant to be a shiny CD with glint on the upper right). Lossy tracks would have a grey disc with a chip on it in comparison 😅

I will advise the company regarding the exact cutoff for displaying the HR symbol...

edit: which does however seem to cut off above 48kHz sample rate...
https://www.jas-audio.or.jp/english/hi-res-logo-en
noting that 40kHz analog performance would require 80kHz or above digital sample rate, while digital formats specified are 96kHz or above, etc.

Thank you for the clarification on the lossless tracks, good to know. Regarding what is actually deemed hi-res, I know 24/48 files definitely are, and my recollection is 24/44.1 files were as well. It certainly would be nice for at least 24/48, I have many in my collection.

One other thing since you will be reporting back, can you have them take a look at the HiBy Music app gapless issue? For fans of classical, ambient, and live recordings, gapless is a must, and having an audible click noise in between tracks when gapless is enabled defeats the whole purpose of gapless playback.

Thank you!

Jul 2, 2020 at 8:58 PM Post #2,562 of 4,421
I previously reported issues with my R5 and it restarting when playing a song. I could have it charged to 100%, unplug from charger, play a song and it would restart. When it came back up, battery would show like 60%.

I contacted MusicTeck, where I purchased the unit, and they have been great in trying to help me troubleshoot the issues. After trying several things they told me to send it back and they would send me a new unit.

When I took it out of the clear case, the back came off. The battery had bulged and knocked the rear panel out of place.

I really love the R5 so can't wait for the new one to arrive, hopefully with a better battery.

Jul 2, 2020 at 10:22 PM Post #2,564 of 4,421
Thank you for the clarification on the lossless tracks, good to know. Regarding what is actually deemed hi-res, I know 24/48 files definitely are, and my recollection is 24/44.1 files were as well. It certainly would be nice for at least 24/48, I have many in my collection.

One other thing since you will be reporting back, can you have them take a look at the HiBy Music app gapless issue? For fans of classical, ambient, and live recordings, gapless is a must, and having an audible click noise in between tracks when gapless is enabled defeats the whole purpose of gapless playback.

Thank you!
I can have another look at it 😅
I previously reported issues with my R5 and it restarting when playing a song. I could have it charged to 100%, unplug from charger, play a song and it would restart. When it came back up, battery would show like 60%.

I contacted MusicTeck, where I purchased the unit, and they have been great in trying to help me troubleshoot the issues. After trying several things they told me to send it back and they would send me a new unit.

When I took it out of the clear case, the back came off. The battery had bulged and knocked the rear panel out of place.

I really love the R5 so can't wait for the new one to arrive, hopefully with a better battery.
Hi, what kind of charger were you using?

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Jul 2, 2020 at 11:34 PM Post #2,565 of 4,421
I'm struggling a bit to use the R5 as a USB DAC for my iPad Mini. I have the Apple camera connector, and I'm connecting everything as indicated, but getting nothing. I remember that even when using my Sony DAPs in this way, you had to connect and turn on the devices and apps in a specific order to have things work correctly. Does anyone know that order with the R5?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back