R5, a new Android DAP by Hiby
Jul 3, 2020 at 1:26 AM Post #2,566 of 4,421
I'm struggling a bit to use the R5 as a USB DAC for my iPad Mini. I have the Apple camera connector, and I'm connecting everything as indicated, but getting nothing. I remember that even when using my Sony DAPs in this way, you had to connect and turn on the devices and apps in a specific order to have things work correctly. Does anyone know that order with the R5?
You should just need to connect everything in hardware (no order I'm aware of) then pull down the notification shade on the R5 and tap on "Connected to USB for charging, tap for other options" and change to the USB DAC option. The screen should change to a blue screensaver with "USB DAC" prominently displayed and sample rate info shown.

Cheers,
Joe

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Jul 3, 2020 at 10:30 AM Post #2,567 of 4,421
I have owned the r5 for a little over a week now. I have been an audiophile searching for the next rung on the ladder since the mid seventies. New to daps and downloading. Wanted to dip my toes into the world of hi res and MQA for awhile now. This unit has exceeded my expectations on every level. The only issue that I am having is when I do stream MQA from Tidal. It seems that every few tracks the unit will freeze at the beginning of a track and I have to skip back and then forward on track selection for the song to play.

Jul 4, 2020 at 1:13 AM Post #2,570 of 4,421
The card won't seat properly in the card drawer. It's like the drawer is too small, as a certain corner of the card won't sit flush. Is it defective? If it's normal to have issues with these, I don't want to play that game every time I want to take the card out. I don't understand why Hiby went with the drawer instead of just an insert slot like on the R3 Pro. I've tried so many times, and it keeps telling me that no files are detected. I know the card is fine, as I've used it in two previous daps. I shouldn't need to update the firmware in order for it to recognize a card, should I??

Jul 4, 2020 at 3:40 AM Post #2,571 of 4,421
The card won't seat properly in the card drawer. It's like the drawer is too small, as a certain corner of the card won't sit flush. Is it defective? If it's normal to have issues with these, I don't want to play that game every time I want to take the card out. I don't understand why Hiby went with the drawer instead of just an insert slot like on the R3 Pro. I've tried so many times, and it keeps telling me that no files are detected. I know the card is fine, as I've used it in two previous daps. I shouldn't need to update the firmware in order for it to recognize a card, should I??
Are you using Hiby Music app? I found I had to scan the card from basically root level for it to scan and find music on external card or I had the same issue. Scan all will ignore it so you have to scan a specific folder. So I created a folder at Root for them. It's the app not the card slot I don't use the Hiby app at all it's not very good of you ask me from a user front and it has to rescan the whole card to pick up any changes.

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2020 at 5:22 AM Post #2,572 of 4,421
So received my Hiby R5 on Mon 29th. Just a few words about it and comparisons to some other DAPs I've had in the past. In it's case it looks like a Fiio M9. Would be easy to mix up the pair. Although the M9 sounds great (or did before I managed to destroy it), the M9 is too slow to make any comparisons. The Hiby sounds bigger, and multi dimensional in comparison. The FiiO flatter but very clean. I had two iBasso DX160s. From memory the DX160 had a very alluring premium sound marred by non functional Bluetooth and was therefore returned.... a very disappointing time. The Hiby R5 has a bigger soundstage and the MSEB can make some fundamental changes in the sound parameters and quality. An amazing function. My FiiO M6 sounds like my Samsung S9 plus and is clean, but against the R5 quite uninvolved. Same with the Samsung S9 plus. Good sound but without the power for some IEMs. My LG V30 when tricked into high impedance mode sounds good, but it's unpredictable and not at all up to the Hiby R5 class. The Hiby R5 is what I have been looking for. Perfect for me. Form factor perfect. Excellent.

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2020 at 12:05 PM Post #2,573 of 4,421
Are you using Hiby Music app? I found I had to scan the card from basically root level for it to scan and find music on external card or I had the same issue. Scan all will ignore it so you have to scan a specific folder. So I created a folder at Root for them. It's the app not the card slot I don't use the Hiby app at all it's not very good of you ask me from a user front and it has to rescan the whole card to pick up any changes.
I am using the Hiby app. What you had to do doesn't seem normal. I don't think it's intended to need to do that, which makes me believe something is wrong. I had the R3 Pro previously. I'd pop the card in, scan it from the Hiby music app, and it would read my 256 in just a few minutes. I have no idea how to do what you did.

Jul 4, 2020 at 12:36 PM Post #2,575 of 4,421
Every so often I have had issues with cards. Usually just removing the card after powering down and putting the card back in solves issues. I stick with brand name cards
Yeah, I've tried this at least 10 times. My cards are Samsung Evo plus and select. Thanks for the tip. I spent 3.5 hours last night just trying to get it to detect 3 different cards. I'm just going to exchange it and hope for the best. But just to be sure, there isn't anything else I need to be doing is there? The limited instructions say to insert the media card, and a drop down notification should appear, prompting you to scan the card. That never happened, and the Hiby app stated that no music files were found every time. Every other dap I've owned was simple plug and play. I can't help but wonder if it's a refurbished unit, though it looks very new.

Jul 4, 2020 at 1:30 PM Post #2,576 of 4,421
Yeah, I've tried this at least 10 times. My cards are Samsung Evo plus and select. Thanks for the tip. I spent 3.5 hours last night just trying to get it to detect 3 different cards. I'm just going to exchange it and hope for the best. But just to be sure, there isn't anything else I need to be doing is there? The limited instructions say to insert the media card, and a drop down notification should appear, prompting you to scan the card. That never happened, and the Hiby app stated that no music files were found every time. Every other dap I've owned was simple plug and play. I can't help but wonder if it's a refurbished unit, though it looks very new.
Have you tried another music app? As previous posts have said the hiby app is not user friendly in my book. I use UAPP, but have used Black Player, Player Pro, Neutron and Power Amp. All have been better and more user-friendly than hiby.

Jul 4, 2020 at 1:41 PM Post #2,577 of 4,421
I am using the Hiby app. What you had to do doesn't seem normal. I don't think it's intended to need to do that, which makes me believe something is wrong. I had the R3 Pro previously. I'd pop the card in, scan it from the Hiby music app, and it would read my 256 in just a few minutes. I have no idea how to do what you did.
It's all done in the Hiby app no black magic involved it just doesn't auto scan it. It gives you an option if auto scan or choose folder, you choose the SD card thats it.

Jul 4, 2020 at 1:47 PM Post #2,578 of 4,421
And bang my Hiby r5 just died. Was booting it up to grab some screenshots and it came up with Android robot no command screen, now it won't start at all. @Joe Bloggs what do I need to do to get this sorted, only had it since April.

Jul 4, 2020 at 2:16 PM Post #2,580 of 4,421
It's all done in the Hiby app no black magic involved it just doesn't auto scan it. It gives you an option if auto scan or choose folder, you choose the SD card thats it.
Can you give me some how to do this for dummies instructions? How do I choose folder? I'm not an electronics person much. That's why I've always had wired music only daps. Seems like nobody can get a full android dap right. And your dap just died on you? What

Users who are viewing this thread

Back