R5, a new Android DAP by Hiby
Apr 2, 2020 at 10:23 PM Post #1,951 of 4,420
OK, that's interesting as my card is also a 256GB U3.
It's a Samsung EVO plus, is that what you have been having issues with too?
And just to clarify, when you say "some tracks that I saved to my sd card" you are referring to Spotify content that you've saved offline, yeah?

I have ordered a SanDisk U1 rated 256GB card to see if that helps, but God knows when that'll get here given the current flumageddon.
(I confess that I don't know what an "A1" certification is)

I've recently returned to TIDAL thanks to the current £4 for 4 months offer, and although it's early days I haven't had any unexplained stoppages while listening to offline content (yet).
I have set everything to max quality in both Spotify and Tidal BTW, and even Tidal masters are playing without issue.

Tidal sounds fantastic, especially MQA, but of my main 3600 track Spotify playlist I lost around 450 tracks when I moved it to Tidal, so the catalogue is smaller, and the app doesn't work quite as well as Spotify (scrolling quickly through albums and playlists leads to very laggy album art updating requiring long pauses to let the images catch up and settle down).

I am enjoying my R5 enormously whether listening to Spotify or Tidal (Tidal does sound a bit better, just as it did on my last DAP) But I'd be content with the quality Spotify offers if it just would quit the random stops.
I'm also going to give Amazon Music a try if the 30 day free trial applies to HD music, but if the hardware buttons won't work then that puts me off quite a lot.
I also wonder just how much of 'my' music will feature on Amazon as I imagine the catalogue is smaller than Spotifys.

I am not saving content from spotify for offline play. I am referring to my own library collection saved on my sd card.
Have you tried pulling your sd card out and try saving your content first on hiby's internal storage and then play them? If you no longer have the stoppage, then it might be your card is too slow.

I have many cards lying around.. from my dslr camera, dashcam, shieldTV to my son's Nintendo Switch but I never been lucky with samsung and sandisk cards that I bought from Amazon.ca for they are the most faked brand nowadays because of their popularity. So I try to stay away from them recently. This is not to discourage you, but if you really know your source of your cards then you need not to worry for a dud card.

I bought this instead patriot.jpg1314912_patriot_pef512gep31mcx.jpg

As for the new rating of SD Association A1 or A2, this might be a good read https://havecamerawilltravel.com/photographer/sd-application-speed-class/
https://www.sdcard.org/developers/overview/application/index.html

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2020 at 9:11 AM Post #1,952 of 4,420
After installing last update my player is not turning on, what should i do?

Can you elaborate? Is it stuck in the bootup screen? In a bootloop? Or?

Has anybody heard from Joe Bloggs? I hope he is okay with all the Covid-19 issues in China and Hong Kong. This is more of a human question rather than a tech support question. I have known him through a few companies and always enjoyed working with him.
Nice question. You still there @Joe Bloggs ??

In other news £100 off on amazon uk atm.

I'm here :)

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Apr 3, 2020 at 9:54 AM Post #1,953 of 4,420
I am not saving content from spotify for offline play. I am referring to my own library collection saved on my sd card.
Have you tried pulling your sd card out and try saving your content first on hiby's internal storage and then play them? If you no longer have the stoppage, then it might be your card is too slow.

I have many cards lying around.. from my dslr camera, dashcam, shieldTV to my son's Nintendo Switch but I never been lucky with samsung and sandisk cards that I bought from Amazon.ca for they are the most faked brand nowadays because of their popularity. So I try to stay away from them recently. This is not to discourage you, but if you really know your source of your cards then you need not to worry for a dud card.

I bought this instead patriot.jpg1314912_patriot_pef512gep31mcx.jpg

As for the new rating of SD Association A1 or A2, this might be a good read https://havecamerawilltravel.com/photographer/sd-application-speed-class/
https://www.sdcard.org/developers/overview/application/index.html
Thanks man, but as I said, I checked my card with H2testw as soon as it arrived, and bought it from Picstop who are a good, trustworthy source, so my confidence in the authenticity of the card is very high.
That's not to say that an authentic card can't be the source of the problem, but it's unlikely to be due to the card being too slow, as it's a class 10 (U3) and intended for use in high definition video applications (just like the Patriot one you posted above) which demands far higher speeds than even very high res music playback (I know read, and write speeds are separate things, but still, the card should easily meet Spotifys needs).
Another thing that's leading me to think that the card is unlikely to be the problem is that I now have around 200GB of TIDAL tunes saved on it, and have not had a single unscheduled stop while listening to them. Even MQA is working flawlessly, on and offline.
The fact that TIDAL works fine leads me to suspect that the R5 hardware is all OK, and that Spotifys software (or Hibys as it relates to Spotify) is the culprit.
The card is also still in the frame too, even if it should be fast enough.
I'll have a SanDisk to try soon, so my fingers are crossed for that.
In the meantime TIDAL is performing, and sounding fantastic, can't get enough of it!

Apr 3, 2020 at 12:12 PM Post #1,954 of 4,420
tested with comparison to QP1R and WM1A, and i can say R5 is still my most preferred dap, though QP1R sounds quite similar but no android flex, WM1a does look nice, but doesnt sound as capable

Apr 3, 2020 at 12:50 PM Post #1,955 of 4,420
Joe, glad to hear from you. As noted, that is independent of any tech support type questions just that we like you!

When R&D gets back to something close to full force, are there plans to support using the buttons on the unit to skip forward and backwards on Amazon Music? I know right now more people here talk about Spotify and Tidal; but my bet is that the dominant platform in two years will be Amazon if only because of their dominant presence in the consumer marketplace. Plus it is really quite reasonable in terms of pricing.

I also wonder if anybody knows why the play wheel spins around for a while before playing music in Amazon HD when the app is restarted. At least when the music is downloaded (as opposed to streaming). My guess is that it is rebuilding some kind of database. Whatever the reason, it would be cool to figure out why and come up with some kind of solution to speed things up. Maybe create a cache/database to speed things up? The Amazon Music HD app works better on IOS than Android so there must be something that can be done to help things out. Otherwise both apps would be equally slow on first use.

Apr 3, 2020 at 2:09 PM Post #1,956 of 4,420
Hi guys.
Don't know if the question has been already asked, but I'm wondering how to make PowerAmp output at the playing rate.
Whatever the sample rate is (16/44, 24/44, 24/88, 24/96, 24/192), my R5 output at 44,1kHz (as shown in status bar and by blue led).

Apr 3, 2020 at 2:54 PM Post #1,957 of 4,420
Hi guys.
Don't know if the question has been already asked, but I'm wondering how to make PowerAmp output at the playing rate.
Whatever the sample rate is (16/44, 24/44, 24/88, 24/96, 24/192), my R5 output at 44,1kHz (as shown in status bar and by blue led).
There's an "Output" section in the Audio settings where you can enable it, but honestly it seems very bare-bones.

Apr 3, 2020 at 7:01 PM Post #1,959 of 4,420
There's an "Output" section in the Audio settings where you can enable it, but honestly it seems very bare-bones.
Thanks, I've found it, but too complicated to set.
Eventually, I decided to use UAPP : easy to set, hardware buttons managed, capable of sorting library by album's artist (this is really lacking on HiBy), and shoutcast radios inside.

Apr 3, 2020 at 7:12 PM Post #1,960 of 4,420
Eventually, I decided to use UAPP : easy to set, hardware buttons managed, capable of sorting library by album's artist (this is really lacking on HiBy), and shoutcast radios inside.

latest version of the hiby app i think added the sort by album artist....but UAPP is generally better.

Apr 4, 2020 at 12:57 AM Post #1,961 of 4,420
Joe, glad to hear from you. As noted, that is independent of any tech support type questions just that we like you!

When R&D gets back to something close to full force, are there plans to support using the buttons on the unit to skip forward and backwards on Amazon Music? I know right now more people here talk about Spotify and Tidal; but my bet is that the dominant platform in two years will be Amazon if only because of their dominant presence in the consumer marketplace. Plus it is really quite reasonable in terms of pricing.

I also wonder if anybody knows why the play wheel spins around for a while before playing music in Amazon HD when the app is restarted. At least when the music is downloaded (as opposed to streaming). My guess is that it is rebuilding some kind of database. Whatever the reason, it would be cool to figure out why and come up with some kind of solution to speed things up. Maybe create a cache/database to speed things up? The Amazon Music HD app works better on IOS than Android so there must be something that can be done to help things out. Otherwise both apps would be equally slow on first use.

Yes, we would certainly like to optimize the Amazon Music experience on our players, targeting the button operation in particular but in all aspects in general. Our ability to do this will depend on our luck with communicating with Amazon dev staff, which will probably depend on how this pandemic pans out in the US. :frowning2:

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Apr 4, 2020 at 7:28 AM Post #1,963 of 4,420
Album Artist sorting was included in the latest firmware / hiby app on the R5 that came out last week
UAPP is a very very good option though ... faster and I find the UI generally better anyway

Apr 4, 2020 at 9:57 AM Post #1,964 of 4,420
Is there a dark theme for this Dap, in the settings?
just take a photo with the flash off and the lens covered, copy it to the internal memory and set that as the wallpaper. I keep a "black" photo in my computer picture folder and use it on all my devices as the fewer color pixels used, the less battery power used.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back