R5, a new Android DAP by Hiby
Dec 29, 2019 at 3:39 AM Post #1,501 of 4,410
I have had issues with the R5 like other people but I have to admit Hiby has done a pretty fabulous job of listening to our complaints, problems and suggestions. Most companies don't even give lip service to customers feedback, much less do anything about it so I for one, am grateful they do. Thank you Joe for all you do for this community and Merry Christmas!

Agreed. I've experienced issues with the touch screen of the R5, but upgrading software, etc was a breeze. I'm impressed with how minimal the Hiby android skin is.

Dec 29, 2019 at 10:53 AM Post #1,502 of 4,410
I just wish Hiby Music was better. It still has a lot of trouble handling different character encoding sets in tags and playlists. Sometimes tags just appear on the screen as a bunch of "???????" characters or some tracks are just outright ignored from their original playlists.
Fortunately the Google Play store is a godsend, and every other major player I've tried now works flawlessly.

Last edited:
Dec 29, 2019 at 8:00 PM Post #1,505 of 4,410
Which player are you favoring? I'd like to try another player and have read a bit about UAPP and Neutron.
If you try UAPP I’d be interested as to your impressions. I’m running FiiO music. It’s an improvement over Hiby music insofar as gapless works as it should and scrolling is smoother, more fluid. I may venture into uapp too. Wonder the cost?

Dec 29, 2019 at 11:05 PM Post #1,506 of 4,410
I am curious. I set the 3.5mm output to line out....but it appears that you still need to turn up the volume. The volume isn't set to max like most line outs. Am I doing something wrong; is this planned, or a bug? I am on the most current firmware.

Just starting to experiment with Amazon Music HD on the unit. Seems like that app is scanning for all music on the player, not just Amazon music. Anybody else care to chime in on that?

Dec 30, 2019 at 12:15 PM Post #1,507 of 4,410
Friends
Help determine the color!
I want to buy hobby R5 but I can't decide on the color of the player((
I choose silt black or gray option.
There are a lot of reviews and photos of the player in black on the Internet but there are no good photos of Gray((((

If you are not difficult and who has a player in gray please take a few photos to understand the real color!!!

Thank you in advance!
And who likes which Color better?)))

Dec 31, 2019 at 7:01 AM Post #1,508 of 4,410
On the subject of touch screen sensitivity. Rather than there being an issue with the screen, per se, I think R5 screen size is at the lowest limit of what android based music apps can tolerate with regard to touch selection of presented screen options. With FiiO and Hiby apps there’s an overabundance of interface selections on any given screen. The small size of R5 screen probably presents too little space to touch selections precisely, given the seeming coarseness of the android system response. I think somebody wrote this more simply. Either way I’d like to see an improvement here.

Dec 31, 2019 at 9:43 AM Post #1,509 of 4,410
On the subject of touch screen sensitivity. Rather than there being an issue with the screen, per se, I think R5 screen size is at the lowest limit of what android based music apps can tolerate with regard to touch selection of presented screen options. With FiiO and Hiby apps there’s an overabundance of interface selections on any given screen. The small size of R5 screen probably presents too little space to touch selections precisely, given the seeming coarseness of the android system response. I think somebody wrote this more simply. Either way I’d like to see an improvement here.
I've tested Android devices for almost 10 years now and no, it's not an issue with Android. It's an issue with poor touchscreen quality, just as on other HiBy-based players (e.g. Cayin N5ii). This can be somewhat corrected through software drivers, but if the hardware it's limited you can only do so much. So it's not because the screen is small or because the OS is not optimised for it or because apps require larger screens (4" is still perfectly fine, it's with lower sizes that things become problematic with specific apps); it's because the touchscreen is not good quality. This is based on my experience of course, though I've never encountered any issue of this kind with touchscreens that was not hardware-related - and I've tested >200 devices at this point.

Dec 31, 2019 at 11:37 AM Post #1,510 of 4,410
@morndewey
This is a DAP, not a book reader or gaming console! It is also portable and powerful!
And of course on the sensor saved money)
I having huge fingers but have no problems when I use it for its intended purpose :wink:

Dec 31, 2019 at 8:30 PM Post #1,511 of 4,410
I purchased UAPP last night ($8) and so far like its functionality. Sounds great but every app I've tried sounds great. After using it today I find it more useful on my S10+ as it can bypass android and make use of the phone's DAC. I paid for the MQA add on but not sure if it's making a difference...yet. Haven't had time to sit down and listen carefully- used it line out on the car to and from work.

Dec 31, 2019 at 9:29 PM Post #1,512 of 4,410
I am curious. I set the 3.5mm output to line out....but it appears that you still need to turn up the volume. The volume isn't set to max like most line outs. Am I doing something wrong; is this planned, or a bug? I am on the most current firmware.

There's a hardware volume control as part of the DAC. You can use it to control volume at the source without quality degradation (except at very low volumes at the source, if turning the volume back up at the amp causes noise levels to increase). This can be very useful if e.g. the R5 is more handy than the amp for controlling volume, or if e.g. the amp doesn't go down enough in volume to allow fine control or has channel imbalance with sensitive IEMs.

Cheers,
Joe

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Dec 31, 2019 at 10:24 PM Post #1,513 of 4,410
Hey Joe,

Happy new year!

So is there a way to set the unit up so when I set it to line out it automatically goes to full volume? Or to some kind of preset volume for the line out setting?

That is a behavior that I tend to expect with line out mode. Otherwise, it is not clear to me what the benefit would be in setting the unit to line out. The use case is the car I prefer to minimize fiddling around all that much before heading out to the streets.

Also, is the MSEB active when using the R5 as a DAC, with apps like Amazon Music HD, or when playing hi res or DSD material?

By the way, is there a particular setting in MSEB that bumps up the low end bass a bit?

Thanks.

Dec 31, 2019 at 11:06 PM Post #1,514 of 4,410
Hey Joe,

Happy new year!

So is there a way to set the unit up so when I set it to line out it automatically goes to full volume? Or to some kind of preset volume for the line out setting?

That is a behavior that I tend to expect with line out mode. Otherwise, it is not clear to me what the benefit would be in setting the unit to line out. The use case is the car I prefer to minimize fiddling around all that much before heading out to the streets.

Also, is the MSEB active when using the R5 as a DAC, with apps like Amazon Music HD, or when playing hi res or DSD material?

By the way, is there a particular setting in MSEB that bumps up the low end bass a bit?

Thanks.
Having said that the line out volume is a useful feature, I agree that there should be a way to peg it at full volume or adjust it separately from the headphone volume. I don't know when that is going to happen.

Regarding MSEB effectiveness, as far as I know,
R5 as a USB DAC: no
R5 running Amazon Music HD: yes
Hi-res music (PCM): yes
DSD: no

Yea you can up the bass extension to bump up the... bass extension. If that doesn't give the effect you're after, you may be after Bass Texture instead.

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Jan 1, 2020 at 3:17 AM Post #1,515 of 4,410
Purchased the R5 in October and has been brilliant.
I've been away from the Forum for a while and noticed that R5 now has system wide MSEB.
So will it work with Spotify and if so could someone point me in the right direction as to how to do it, settings etc.
Much appreciated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back