R5, a new Android DAP by Hiby
Jan 1, 2020 at 9:08 AM Post #1,516 of 4,412
@morndewey
This is a DAP, not a book reader or gaming console! It is also portable and powerful!
And of course on the sensor saved money)
I having huge fingers but have no problems when I use it for its intended purpose :wink:
This is a thoroughly disputable position and not nearly as authoritative as its tone would assert

Jan 1, 2020 at 9:41 AM Post #1,517 of 4,412
Having said that the line out volume is a useful feature, I agree that there should be a way to peg it at full volume or adjust it separately from the headphone volume. I don't know when that is going to happen.
Well, I think the best way to implement this would be to ask if the user wants to set the line out to a specific volume when first engaged. And if so what volume would that be. Pretty straightforward.

Basically one easy question....Set line out to fixed? Choose Yes No. If users chooses yes, then ....What level from 1-100? (set number).

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2020 at 11:04 AM Post #1,518 of 4,412
On this subject, I am using this a lot via line out in my car and at times it seems as if it over drives the input stage of the amplifier in the car. Is this possible? On high gain? I haven't heard it very often but on certain tracks it seems to be causing distortion even at moderate levels. Typically the music sounds better on high gain but several times I had to turn the volume down to 95. This reduces the distortion.

Jan 1, 2020 at 12:17 PM Post #1,519 of 4,412
Well, I think the best way to implement this would be to ask if the user wants to set the line out to a specific volume when first engaged. And if so what volume would that be. Pretty straightforward.

Basically one easy question....Set line out to fixed? Choose Yes No. If users chooses yes, then ....What level from 1-100? (set number).
This is how it's done on Shanling players, as an example. It's a useful feature and it's also present for USB audio on those players. I would like to see it on HiBy players, too.

Jan 1, 2020 at 2:45 PM Post #1,520 of 4,412
Friends
Help determine the color!
I want to buy hobby R5 but I can't decide on the color of the player((
I choose silt black or gray option.
There are a lot of reviews and photos of the player in black on the Internet but there are no good photos of Gray((((

If you are not difficult and who has a player in gray please take a few photos to understand the real color!!!

Thank you in advance!
And who likes which Color better?)))

My review here has several photos of gray
https://www.antdroid.net/2019/09/hiby-r5-digital-audio-player.html

Jan 1, 2020 at 9:04 PM Post #1,521 of 4,412
I am sure that MQA never demanded to upsample more than the original rate, as it reported the original freq and sample rate.
I am pretty sure it is a bug.
@joe, can you escalate it to developers please?
The detailed answer after much research on the subject:

MQA provides test files of MQA files at different encoded and original sample rates. To pass their tests, it is required to switch between these files without breaks / pops in the sound. The way to achieve this is to upsample all files to a fixed multiple of 44.1 and 48kHz, as recommended by MQA themselves.

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Jan 2, 2020 at 5:03 AM Post #1,522 of 4,412
The detailed answer after much research on the subject:

MQA provides test files of MQA files at different encoded and original sample rates. To pass their tests, it is required to switch between these files without breaks / pops in the sound. The way to achieve this is to upsample all files to a fixed multiple of 44.1 and 48kHz, as recommended by MQA themselves.
That means, either Hiby Music app, Tidal app or UAPP make first unfolding of the MQA file and then R5 makes final rendering to the max achievable rate multiple to 44.1 or 48kHz. Right? That makes sense.
Thanks for explanations.

Jan 2, 2020 at 4:55 PM Post #1,524 of 4,412
Hello, I am new to the forum and I want to buy a Hiby R5, the question I have is about the micro sdxc card, how much is the maximum that the R5 supports? There are pages that say 512 and other 2tb
The official website says 512 GB. I am using the R5 as I type this with a 512 GB card and I can confirm it works without issues.

Jan 2, 2020 at 8:12 PM Post #1,525 of 4,412
The official website says 512 GB. I am using the R5 as I type this with a 512 GB card and I can confirm it works without issues.
It will work with cards up to 2TB. This was the way it was advertised for the R6 / R6 pro before it was considered misleading because the largest cards on the market were 512GB at the time. I see this should now be updated to say 1TB I believe?

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

Jan 2, 2020 at 9:02 PM Post #1,527 of 4,412
Is it possible to use MSEB with Spotify.
Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
You should be able to use it on Spotify after updating your R5 to the latest firmware, by going to system sound settings and choosing MSEB there instead of in the HiByMusic app.

Jan 3, 2020 at 1:05 PM Post #1,530 of 4,412
You should be able to use it on Spotify after updating your R5 to the latest firmware, by going to system sound settings and choosing MSEB there instead of in the HiByMusic app.

When I first purchased this unit, I installed an off the air update. After resetting the unit (it had effectively bricked) I had presumed that I would be at the current version with that update. Just discovered that the unit seems to update incrementally. In other words, the updates do not seem to be cumulative. I am in the process of installing additional updates. So far its been three new ones.

With the last update installed, MSEB did in fact show up under sound settings under system. Just thought I would share that for new users, updating is not a one touch and done procedure.

I am also have a hard time deleting some files. If anybody can give some pointers on how to give permissions to delete files I would be open to some help. I keep deleting files using the USB file transfer function from Windows 10; but some folders and files seem to persist. I tried deleting them files from the device and get a message about providing permissions but so far what I have tried seems to fail. There is a tutorial but none of the options described in the tutorial seem to actually apply to what is occuring.

I finally went old school and physically removed the card and put the card into the PC. Deleted the files from there, and also did a disc scan and repair. Then put the card back into the unit, then rescanned files with HiBy music. I did free up quite a bit of space, but having to go this route seems "not quite right". So open to suggestions.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back