R5, a new Android DAP by Hiby
Jan 3, 2020 at 8:12 PM Post #1,531 of 4,410
Hi all, sure this has been answered so apologize for that.
I own an R3 and thinking seriously on upgrading to R5 but need any of you to confirm Tidal offline works properly storing music track files onto the external microSD card. Thanks.
Any of you have paired R5 with Chord Mojo? How is it worth?

Jan 3, 2020 at 9:26 PM Post #1,532 of 4,410
Anyone encountered this:
Hi res tracks produce no sound? E.g. have R5 on random play, hi res track cues up, displays as playing (seconds elapse), no sound. I have to skip forward then back to track start to hear it play. Happened a few times now.
Using FiiO music app, wired 3.5.

Jan 3, 2020 at 11:36 PM Post #1,533 of 4,410
Are there any good utilities for managing memory on Android? I am not an expert on this, but it seems like it does not take too many downloaded files from Amazon HD to fill up memory on the SD card on the R5. I have already tried cleaning the cache. I know on the iphone at one point I had to completely clear out the memory and start again, and maybe that is what I will need to do. But it would be great to get some pointers before starting again from scratch. Thanks.

Jan 4, 2020 at 2:01 AM Post #1,534 of 4,410
Are there any good utilities for managing memory on Android? I am not an expert on this, but it seems like it does not take too many downloaded files from Amazon HD to fill up memory on the SD card on the R5. I have already tried cleaning the cache. I know on the iphone at one point I had to completely clear out the memory and start again, and maybe that is what I will need to do. But it would be great to get some pointers before starting again from scratch. Thanks.
Have you tried installing an external SD card and instructing Amazon to download files to that?

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Jan 4, 2020 at 3:01 AM Post #1,535 of 4,410
When I first purchased this unit, I installed an off the air update. After resetting the unit (it had effectively bricked) I had presumed that I would be at the current version with that update. Just discovered that the unit seems to update incrementally. In other words, the updates do not seem to be cumulative. I am in the process of installing additional updates. So far its been three new ones.

With the last update installed, MSEB did in fact show up under sound settings under system. Just thought I would share that for new users, updating is not a one touch and done procedure.

I am also have a hard time deleting some files. If anybody can give some pointers on how to give permissions to delete files I would be open to some help. I keep deleting files using the USB file transfer function from Windows 10; but some folders and files seem to persist. I tried deleting them files from the device and get a message about providing permissions but so far what I have tried seems to fail. There is a tutorial but none of the options described in the tutorial seem to actually apply to what is occuring.

I finally went old school and physically removed the card and put the card into the PC. Deleted the files from there, and also did a disc scan and repair. Then put the card back into the unit, then rescanned files with HiBy music. I did free up quite a bit of space, but having to go this route seems "not quite right". So open to suggestions.

I think you were getting those errors exactly because the file system on your card had been marked "dirty" and hence unsuitable for modification by the system. This can happen because of ejecting the card physically (or a bad contact) without first ejecting the card in software, unexpected power interruptions / system hangups, among other things. The only solution I know of is exactly what you did--take the card out for scan and repair on a computer. You should now be able to delete any file back on the R5 now via either of the other methods.

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

Jan 4, 2020 at 3:02 AM Post #1,536 of 4,410
Hi all, sure this has been answered so apologize for that.
I own an R3 and thinking seriously on upgrading to R5 but need any of you to confirm Tidal offline works properly storing music track files onto the external microSD card. Thanks.

Yes

Jan 4, 2020 at 5:40 AM Post #1,538 of 4,410
Thanks.
Which is the best place, brick & mortar or online, to purchase it? To be delivered to Barcelona
Probably store.hiby.com

Jan 4, 2020 at 9:16 AM Post #1,539 of 4,410
Hey Joe. I just discovered a needed feature or perhaps a bug depending on how you look at it. Most IEMs that I have owned treat the volume differently for the 3.5mm single ended vs. 2.5 or 4.4 balanced So you can set volume on the 3.5 at max for use as a line out; but volume at 40 or what have you for balanced.

Last night I assumed that was the case for this unit Ooops. Serious music blast on the balanced as I had been using the unit in line out mode at max.

Needless to say I would strongly suggest that this be fixed. I suppose you could makes this part of my suggestion to allow a fixed output for the 3.5 line out.

Jan 4, 2020 at 9:20 AM Post #1,540 of 4,410
Have you tried installing an external SD card and instructing Amazon to download files to that?

That is exactly what I am doing. I think you gathered that from your next post but there is simply not enough memory on the built in card to do what I want.

I do suspect there memory on the SD card has some junk in it but I have no idea how to fix it other than wiping out the Amazon Music and going again. I maxed out my data allocation from my ISP loading up this card so I will have to wait until my next billing cycle before trying to clean up the memory. That is what happens when you fill up a big SD memory card over the air. I am so used to transferring files that this was a big surprise how online data usage creeps up on you in the age of music as a service.

Jan 4, 2020 at 8:49 PM Post #1,542 of 4,410
Apologies if this has been covered, I looked back through the last 5 pages or so of this thread and didn't find anything...

Just got a new R5 from MusicTeck on Amazon, stuck my SD card in, set up WiFi, Google Play etc, listened to some music, everything working as it should.

Tried to do a firmware update via Settings -> System -> Wireless Update and I run in to problems.

Wireless Update says I have Current firmware R5Int_1.1G_20190815_1013. I click "check for updates" and it wants to download R5Int_1.13G_2019_0916_1252 - click 'Download' and the file downloads successfully.

I click 'Install now' and it gives me the warning about the process taking some time and to make sure I have at least 30% battery. I click 'OK' and the file unzips and the player reboots, but upon reboot I immediately get a screen with the little green android man on his back with his chest hatch open and a red triangle icon with an exclamation mark in the middle and the word 'Error' underneath. The player then boots normally in to Android with the firmware update obviously not installed.

What am I doing wrong here? How do I get the firmware updates to install?

Jan 5, 2020 at 12:53 AM Post #1,544 of 4,410
Apologies if this has been covered, I looked back through the last 5 pages or so of this thread and didn't find anything...

Just got a new R5 from MusicTeck on Amazon, stuck my SD card in, set up WiFi, Google Play etc, listened to some music, everything working as it should.

Tried to do a firmware update via Settings -> System -> Wireless Update and I run in to problems.

Wireless Update says I have Current firmware R5Int_1.1G_20190815_1013. I click "check for updates" and it wants to download R5Int_1.13G_2019_0916_1252 - click 'Download' and the file downloads successfully.

I click 'Install now' and it gives me the warning about the process taking some time and to make sure I have at least 30% battery. I click 'OK' and the file unzips and the player reboots, but upon reboot I immediately get a screen with the little green android man on his back with his chest hatch open and a red triangle icon with an exclamation mark in the middle and the word 'Error' underneath. The player then boots normally in to Android with the firmware update obviously not installed.

What am I doing wrong here? How do I get the firmware updates to install?
Try removing the SD card and attempt the update again. Did you set the card as portable or internal storage?

Jan 5, 2020 at 3:16 AM Post #1,545 of 4,410
Try removing the SD card and attempt the update again. Did you set the card as portable or internal storage?

Thanks for the quick reply - removing the SD card did the trick, and after nearly a half-dozen updates I'm all current. The SD card was set to "portable" for the record - it wasn't even something I was aware of, I just popped it in and the device recognised it so I didn't delve that deeply in to the settings.

Aside from having to jump through a bunch of hoops to get the unsigned USB DAC driver installed on my Win10 laptop, I'm really happy with everything so far - it's my first foray in to a balanced setup and a worthy successor to my beloved FiiO X3ii.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back