R5, a new Android DAP by Hiby
Jan 7, 2020 at 6:19 AM Post #1,561 of 4,412
DX160's advantage is lost when there is a requirement of stability and working time
Hey.
Thanks for the comparison.
But what let's you conclude, the R5 is just slightly better in resolution than an average smartphone?
Last night, I compared the playback quality of the MP3 Galaxy Note9 (N9600 Snapdragon) with R5 on the Dunu 3001 pro. (Their Methlab - The Last Second)
The difference is noticeable at 3.5mm Low Gain. R5 has a more neutral and natural sound. Better worked out low and high (there are fewer than note9). Note9's scene is flat.

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2020 at 12:00 PM Post #1,562 of 4,412
Hey.
Thanks for the comparison.
But what let's you conclude, the R5 is just slightly better in resolution than an average smartphone?

This is just subjective opinions of course, but I find it a small improvement over my Samsung galaxy s10 phone.

Jan 7, 2020 at 3:45 PM Post #1,563 of 4,412
Can anyone describe the difference between normal phone out and line out? Handling of both setups seem to be the same. But what's it technically? One is superior over the other when using earphones and headphones?

@Joe Bloggs maybe can you give me a hint? I know there was that discussion somewhere.. But I didn't understand it :rolling_eyes:

Jan 7, 2020 at 4:09 PM Post #1,564 of 4,412
This is just subjective opinions of course, but I find it a small improvement over my Samsung galaxy s10 phone.
unbelievable, because even with a standard output, the power(low gain) is two times higher than S10, and it is immediately felt, even if you do not go into details.
What headphones did you use in comparison R5 with s10?

Jan 7, 2020 at 7:09 PM Post #1,565 of 4,412
unbelievable, because even with a standard output, the power(low gain) is two times higher than S10, and it is immediately felt, even if you do not go into details.
What headphones did you use in comparison R5 with s10?

I use the qdc Anole VX, primarily, besides the various other headphones/earphones i have in for review or own. It's a multi-BA IEM and doesn't require a ton of power to use. Even so, the Samsung S10 dac/amp, at least the snapdragon variant, has a pretty competent dac/amp in it (Aqstic) that can do a decent job of powering headphones. While not a super accurate determinate, the volume percent is pretty much the same on both devices (S10 and R5 on low gain).

I have used over-ears on both. I do like the R5 over the S10e, but they both aren't as clean sounding as the DX160.

BTW - I love twin peaks, and your profile pic terrifies me.

Jan 7, 2020 at 9:32 PM Post #1,566 of 4,412
I knew your statement re: "find it a small improvement over my Samsung galaxy s10 smartphone..." would raise the ire of a few of us who find the R5 a substantial upgrade over any smartphone (except perhaps the LG V series w/ quad DAC's). I also have the S10+ and even when using UAPP which bypasses the Android limits of resolution it cannot come close to the clarity and punch of the R5. I also have a AK Jr and the R5 blows it out of the water in terms of low noise floor, resolution, detail and the extension of both bass and treble. I was listening to the R5 on the way home in the car and the MB Quart tweeters revealed the differences in the S10+ and the R5 listening to the same material, even when using UAPP-w/o UAPP there is really no comparison in my humble opinion. If one goes into the settings of the S10+ and tweak the settings, enabling Dolby Atmos and other equalization the phone can sound pretty good but when using good IEM's the differences are audible to me.

Jan 7, 2020 at 9:49 PM Post #1,567 of 4,412
Can anyone describe the difference between normal phone out and line out? Handling of both setups seem to be the same. But what's it technically? One is superior over the other when using earphones and headphones?

@Joe Bloggs maybe can you give me a hint? I know there was that discussion somewhere.. But I didn't understand it :rolling_eyes:

The line out bypasses the internal headphone amplifier. It is intended for use with external headphone amps and shouldn't be used if there isn't one upstream of the headphones.

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Jan 8, 2020 at 12:48 AM Post #1,569 of 4,412
@antdroid thank you friend! But I just drew attention to the fact that I feel this difference immediately with a direct comparison, maybe you're right and for some users this difference will not be so strong. Your review also influenced my choice :wink:
ps This is the water and this is the well. Drink full and descend.

Jan 8, 2020 at 7:56 PM Post #1,572 of 4,412
Is the r5 stable with bluetooth connection? Just tried out the dx160 and the r6 and both of those stutter like crazy when on bluetooth mode, i’m good with not having a great stable connection but i would have thought since its right in front of me these players would at least be useable...

Jan 8, 2020 at 8:06 PM Post #1,573 of 4,412
Is the r5 stable with bluetooth connection? Just tried out the dx160 and the r6 and both of those stutter like crazy when on bluetooth mode, i’m good with not having a great stable connection but i would have thought since its right in front of me these players would at least be useable...
I tried my R5 with my Audeze Mobius over Bluetooth recently, it was stable and fine with LDAC. Didn't spend much time tho.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back