R5, a new Android DAP by Hiby
Nov 22, 2019 at 4:59 PM Post #1,336 of 4,421
Have noticed that when connected to 5GHz band the R5 says it's connected with an excellent signal but within a minute or so I can no longer stream (from apple, amazon, spotify etc..) or load any web pages. As soon as I switch back to 2.4GHz everything works great. Switching to 5Ghz once again does the same thing. I did not notice this out of the box until the 2nd day when I did all the updates to get to 1.62 (about 3 updates). Today I upgraded to firmware 1.63 and problem still exists.
I contacted hiby who told me to downgrade and gave me a link to 1.13. That update failed -it showed the green android with the red exclamation point and just booted to 1.63. Does anyone have the older firmware files pre 1.62 so I can try them to see which one caused this issue. My guess is their file was bad causing the update failure, since the procedure should be straight forward.
By the way the reason I just don't use 2.4Ghz is because I have an Netgear Orbi which requires that I telnet in to split the 2 bands. They just removed that ability so when that firmware upgrades I have one SSID and R5 drops out when it autoswitches the devices band to band. So when Netgear Orbi updates my R5 becomes useless to stream or browse. The reason I am posting is that it takes 24 hours everytime Hiby answers (probably time zone differences) and I do not have too much time on my return window, so I thought maybe someone here could help a little quicker.
Thank you and my apologies for the long post

Nov 22, 2019 at 5:44 PM Post #1,337 of 4,421
Have noticed that when connected to 5GHz band the R5 says it's connected with an excellent signal but within a minute or so I can no longer stream (from apple, amazon, spotify etc..) or load any web pages. As soon as I switch back to 2.4GHz everything works great. Switching to 5Ghz once again does the same thing. I did not notice this out of the box until the 2nd day when I did all the updates to get to 1.62 (about 3 updates). Today I upgraded to firmware 1.63 and problem still exists.
I contacted hiby who told me to downgrade and gave me a link to 1.13. That update failed -it showed the green android with the red exclamation point and just booted to 1.63. Does anyone have the older firmware files pre 1.62 so I can try them to see which one caused this issue. My guess is their file was bad causing the update failure, since the procedure should be straight forward.
By the way the reason I just don't use 2.4Ghz is because I have an Netgear Orbi which requires that I telnet in to split the 2 bands. They just removed that ability so when that firmware upgrades I have one SSID and R5 drops out when it autoswitches the devices band to band. So when Netgear Orbi updates my R5 becomes useless to stream or browse. The reason I am posting is that it takes 24 hours everytime Hiby answers (probably time zone differences) and I do not have too much time on my return window, so I thought maybe someone here could help a little quicker.

I’m strictly on 5Ghz and really haven’t noticed any issues. It does take a bit longer to connect to the network, but it works. Now I’ve had a few hiccups with streaming Amazon music, but not sure if that’s app related or network.

- Garrett

Nov 22, 2019 at 6:36 PM Post #1,338 of 4,421
I just picked up the Hiby R5 and I am experiencing the battery drain issues that was reported in the past. I granted all permissions for Google Play Services and Google Play Store. I also cleared the App Data for both apps as the first step did not work. Both these steps have not corrected the issue. The blue led light is constantly blinking. The installed apps that I have are as follows:

Amazon Music
Google Chrome
Google Music

Is there a description of what the different led lights mean on the device? I only see a brief description of the lights in the booklet that was shipped with the unit. This is my first Hiby product and I really want to like the device, but if I can not fix this issue, it will be a deal breaker for me.

- Garrett

The latest update with the systenwide MSEB is also supposed to address this issue.

Unfortunately downgrading to 1.13 would not be straightforward at all thanks to the android system, which is designed to be updated incrementally and also rejects downgrades as a matter of course. I'm not sure if the downgrade they sent you can actually be used for that purpose, at the very least it has to be designed purposely for downgrading, with a complete image of the old version. I will ask the team about this. Have you tried doing a factory reset to see if that helps?

-Joe

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Nov 22, 2019 at 6:55 PM Post #1,339 of 4,421
The latest update with the systenwide MSEB is also supposed to address this issue.

Unfortunately downgrading to 1.13 would not be straightforward at all thanks to the android system, which is designed to be updated incrementally and also rejects downgrades as a matter of course. I'm not sure if the downgrade they sent you can actually be used for that purpose, at the very least it has to be designed purposely for downgrading, with a complete image of the old version. I will ask the team about this. Have you tried doing a factory reset to see if that helps?

-Joe

They made no mention of the difficulty downgrading-jusrt sent me a file link. If you can get the correct files from the team that would be great. Additionally, they suggested that they were unaware of any issue like this but you mention that it was supposed to be addressed in the 1.63 update. But if anything it is worse. But to be clear you are saying they know about the wifi issue?

Nov 22, 2019 at 7:02 PM Post #1,340 of 4,421
They made no mention of the difficulty downgrading-jusrt sent me a file link. If you can get the correct files from the team that would be great. Additionally, they suggested that they were unaware of any issue like this but you mention that it was supposed to be addressed in the 1.63 update. But if anything it is worse. But to be clear you are saying they know about the wifi issue?
Hi slammy,
Sorry, I was addressing another poster's problem (battery drain with wifi on) with that.

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Nov 22, 2019 at 10:29 PM Post #1,342 of 4,421
I have Orbi as well and updated this evening and am not having issues streaming Qobuz-but I did have to log out of my account then back in. Tidal streamed no problem right after the update.

Nov 23, 2019 at 10:56 AM Post #1,343 of 4,421
@Joe Bloggs, I have to tell you how much I appreciate you and the whole HiBy team for making the system-level MSEB a reality. This really is next-level stuff, and the R5 is now my end-game DAP. I no longer have to try and set every app EQ to match, and MSEB really is better than most EQs, anyway. I've been flipping from one app to another, including streaming, and I get consistent sound across all of them. Consistently great! Definitely my favorite (early) Xmas present.

Out of curiosity, is there a technical Android reason why it can't work through BT?

Nov 23, 2019 at 11:51 AM Post #1,344 of 4,421
With system wide mseb I can try and ditch Hiby app with associated gapless playback issues. However I don’t want to use Google Play to download another music app. Should I use apk pure? I would really appreciate some help here. Also, it seems people like Poweramp and Neutron. I would appreciate some feedback here also. Thanks

Nov 23, 2019 at 2:00 PM Post #1,346 of 4,421
With system wide mseb I can try and ditch Hiby app with associated gapless playback issues. However I don’t want to use Google Play to download another music app. Should I use apk pure? I would really appreciate some help here. Also, it seems people like Poweramp and Neutron. I would appreciate some feedback here also. Thanks
Any reason not to use Google Play?

Nov 23, 2019 at 2:43 PM Post #1,347 of 4,421
Any reason not to use Google Play?
Hi. Well, from what I’ve gleaned, it seems intrusive, and brings with it many irritating device performance conflicts, the whole ‘this isn’t working now’ business. People appear to have resolved issues with using google play but I don’t want to be hassled with all the technical adjustments.
Would google play services have to be operating, interfacing with R5 device, if I installed an alternate music app using it?
I suspect there’s a thing or two here I don’t understand properly.

Nov 23, 2019 at 3:42 PM Post #1,348 of 4,421
Just been playing around with the system wide MSEB, an excellent development. Had been trying various players over the last couple of weeks and couldn't get Michael Jackson's voice to sound as good as with Hiby's app with MSEB active. For example the Jet Audio app has something called 'Crystaliser' that adds clarity to the voice, but didn't give the same results - with MSEB active it seems to give the same sound as Hiby's app. I love MSEB's 'Voice' and 'Female Overtones' sliders.

Nov 23, 2019 at 5:42 PM Post #1,349 of 4,421
Anyone notice that pausing say Google Music when the screen off works without issue, but when to go to play / unpause while the screen is off, it does not register? I have to press the power button in order for it to start playing / activate. Is this normal?

- Garrett

Users who are viewing this thread

Back