R5, a new Android DAP by Hiby
Oct 14, 2019 at 8:57 AM Post #1,021 of 4,421
always have been a fan of cirrus logic sound, to me sounds better than AK or ESS., enjoyed my time from fiio x3ii to colorfly c10 and ziku x9.
was wondering if hiby R5 sounds anything like those mentioned players?
Hiby R5 has best and more nature sound than Fiio X3-2

Oct 14, 2019 at 2:31 PM Post #1,022 of 4,421
LO on Hiby R5 does have volume control. Not "true" LO, but I believe the difference is that the output impedance is higher. Setting Volume to 100 means you get rail voltage.
So is it that line out is not directly from dac by bypassing amps and its just normal headphone out set to 100. Just clarrifing as i was planning to buy an amp.

Oct 14, 2019 at 3:03 PM Post #1,025 of 4,421
You shouldn't need an amp with this dap, are your headphones 600 ohms? I could see using an amp with the R3, or a Sony, or like a fiio x3ii or something but this thing is really powerful. Especially with how clean this thing is.

And I can tell you from personal experience the r5 sounds as good or better than every amp I've used. Mojo, q5s, topping nx4dsd, ifi xdsd. Now the mojo and the topping would be better with 600 ohm cans, but with most stuff the r5 is golden.

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2019 at 3:14 PM Post #1,026 of 4,421
You shouldn't need an amp with this dap, are your headphones 600 ohms? I could see using an amp with the R3, or a Sony, or like a fiio x3ii or something but this thing is really powerful. Especially with how clean this thing is.
Well that is true , just curious
While that is one play services still eating battery quite a bit:triportsad: if its ok i will share some battery consuption pics here!!

Oct 14, 2019 at 3:18 PM Post #1,027 of 4,421
While that is one play services still eating battery quite a bit:triportsad: if its ok i will share some battery consuption pics here!!

You on the latest firmware? Google is eating battery? I never had any problems like that but I thought they fixed it in the last update. People said turn all permissions off, but joe bloggs said turn them all on.

Sucks, maybe someone can help?

I did have a weird thing when I updated hiby app, that after I closed it googke reported it using battery and the light wasn't going off. I force quit the app and restarted it and it's been fine. Weird.

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2019 at 3:28 PM Post #1,028 of 4,421
You on the latest firmware? Google is eating battery? I never had any problems like that but I thought they fixed it in the last update. People said turn all permissions off, but joe bloggs said turn them all on.

Sucks, maybe someone can help?

I did have a weird thing when I updated hiby app, that after I closed it googke reported it using battery and the light wasn't going off. I force quit the app and restarted it and it's been fine. Weird.

Permissions are all on just turned google play notifications off and background activity to off should it be on? 20191014_145809.jpg
20191014_145757.jpg

Oct 14, 2019 at 3:51 PM Post #1,030 of 4,421
Those numbers don't seem right, my Google play is using nothing. I wish I could help more. I've never changed any settings.

Here's mine

****, maybe just turn the background activity on, on Google play-can't hurt. Sorry was supposed to be an edit, not a quote of myself:triportsad:

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2019 at 4:09 PM Post #1,031 of 4,421
But that should not be it right, Line out should not be affected by ampstage and in the official page of hiby there is a diagram of circuit it shows line out just after low pass filter
I heard the line out should be the same as in the r3. And there it is as I described.

But you are right, in the official diagram the LO only goes through the low pass and exits before the amp.

@Joe Bloggs could maybe clarify.

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2019 at 4:50 PM Post #1,032 of 4,421
LO on Hiby R5 does have volume control. Not "true" LO, but I believe the difference is that the output impedance is higher. Setting Volume to 100 means you get rail voltage.

I heard the line out should be the same as in the r3. And there it is as I described.

But you are right, in the official diagram the LO only goes through the low pass and exits before the amp.

@Joe Bloggs could maybe clarify.

There's nothing "untrue" about a line out that allows volume adjustment.

In fact, the volume control of all these players (R3, R5, R6, R6pro) is part of the DAC chip, not the amplifier.

And while there may be some loss of signal/noise ratio at very low volume levels, this is not because of any digital bit chopping--rather, it's simply that the DAC has a partly fixed (loooow) noise floor above which dynamic range rises and falls depending on volume.

So while it's true that you get theoretical 100% dynamic range by outputting at 100% volume, don't hesitate to turn down the volume on the R5 in line out mode if your amp's volume is getting fiddly or unbalanced in a low range.

Because of this reputation of "fake" line out, many manufacturers choose to deliberately disable the volume control functionality of any line out option.

We at HiBy don't believe in disabling any functionality because of rumours.

Last edited:
HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Oct 14, 2019 at 4:58 PM Post #1,034 of 4,421
There's nothing "untrue" about a line out that allows volume adjustment.

In fact, the volume control of all these players (R3, R5, R6, R6pro) is part of the DAC chip, not the amplifier.

And while there may be some loss of signal/noise ratio at very low volume levels, this is not because of any digital bit chopping--rather, it's simply that the DAC has a partly fixed (loooow) noise floor above which dynamic range rises and falls depending on volume.

So while it's true that you get theoretical 100% dynamic range by outputting at 100% volume, don't hesitate to turn down the volume on the R5 in line out mode if your amp's volume is getting fiddly or unbalanced in a low range.

Because of this reputation of "fake" line out, many manufacturers choose to deliberately disable the volume control functionality of any line out option.

We at HiBy don't believe in disabling any functionality because of rumours.

Great reply! It is just what made me curious, how the LO volume can be adjustable if it is not passed through the amp.
Did not think about dac volume control :flushed:

Thanks captain Joe for clarifying, quick and precise as always :thumbsup:

Oct 14, 2019 at 5:32 PM Post #1,035 of 4,421

Even after enabling permissions on Play Services and Play Store, I was still losing quite a bit of battery over night and the blue light was on for a good bit of the time. I finally found a setting in Security and Location called "Find My Device" I turned that off and ever since, I lose a negligible amount of battery overnight with the R5 in sleep mode. Blue light is off except for a very occasional blink. You might give it a try and see if that helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back