R5, a new Android DAP by Hiby
Sep 14, 2019 at 5:33 PM Post #561 of 4,421
Mh.. Maybe the old firmware that a different sound?
I am really confused by that..

Nope it sounds the same. I'm using warmish iems/cans and I even had to add bass to warm it up a bit. I mean if there is sub bass in a song it goes deep, but it's very lean, otherwise and I couldn't begin to call it warm.

Last edited:
Sep 14, 2019 at 7:10 PM Post #562 of 4,421
Nope it sounds the same. I'm using warmish iems/cans and I even had to add bass to warm it up a bit. I mean if there is sub bass in a song it goes deep, but it's very lean, otherwise and I couldn't begin to call it warm.
Your experience is s much appreciated. Has anyone else had sth similar?
I had few people listen to that device and all concluded that there is a high focus on pushibg the lows up. Most people of them liked that. I didn't really.

Seems I had a troubled demo device maybe

Sep 14, 2019 at 7:13 PM Post #563 of 4,421
A German reseller will sell the R5 soon. I can tell you as soon as it is available. Price is 429€

Any link? Not sure if it will be be available at Amp3. Price at Hiby store is 360€ but with import taxes the cost will be higher.

Price of iBasso DX160 at Headphoniaks (Spain) is 449€. I'll decide between these two but for now I'm more inclined to the R5 since it has Play Store.

Sep 14, 2019 at 8:17 PM Post #564 of 4,421
Your experience is s much appreciated. Has anyone else had sth similar?
I had few people listen to that device and all concluded that there is a high focus on pushibg the lows up. Most people of them liked that. I didn't really.

Seems I had a troubled demo device maybe

Np, I'm sure some others will chime in. But hey we all hear things differently too, and my neutral in my mind is natural sounding with no particular acentuation on any particular part. I personally thought the m11 bass was a bit to strong and boomy- just a bit.

But what's funny is towards the beginning of the m11 thread some people where saying it lacked bass. But, then later on people were saying it was too strong and flabby. Also it probably depends on what source you were previously listening to.

In my case Sony wm1a, ak sr15, fiio m11, zx300, colofly u8, and ibasso dx220. Those all have pretty robust bass response, so maybe the r5 just having less makes the contrast more pronounced.

And of course the headphones and iems you use affect the response more than anything.

Also maybe the other source/sources don't do sub bass as good, and that's what you hear/feel. Who knows.

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2019 at 1:41 AM Post #565 of 4,421
Np, I'm sure some others will chime in. But hey we all hear things differently too, and my neutral in my mind is natural sounding with no particular acentuation on any particular part. I personally thought the m11 bass was a bit to strong and boomy- just a bit.

But what's funny is towards the beginning of the m11 thread some people where saying it lacked bass. But, then later on people were saying it was too strong and flabby. Also it probably depends on what source you were previously listening to.

In my case Sony wm1a, ak sr15, fiio m11, zx300, colofly u8, and ibasso dx220. Those all have pretty robust bass response, so maybe the r5 just having less makes the contrast more pronounced.

And of course the headphones and iems you use affect the response more than anything.

Also maybe the other source/sources don't do sub bass as good, and that's what you hear/feel. Who knows.

I come from an R3 and my earphones have already a good emphasis on lows, so.. Yes that might be an explanation für my case.

Vision-Ears-VE8-web-1024x509.png

Any link? Not sure if it will be be available at Amp3. Price at Hiby store is 360€ but with import taxes the cost will be higher.

Price of iBasso DX160 at Headphoniaks (Spain) is 449€. I'll decide between these two but for now I'm more inclined to the R5 since it has Play Store.
There is no link available currently as they do not have it online now. But you can order it via audionext.de beginning of October.
They said hiby has trouble to send out devices and they have ordered a bunch of devices long time ago but did only receive 1 for demo any now are waiting for the rest to come in.
Unfortunately for hiby, the r5 should have been shown on an important headphone fair this weekend, but as there are no devices audionext can sell, they do not present it in their booth unless you ask for the device. Then they grab it out of their boxes somewhere.

Same on their website, r5 will be available online only if hiby manages to send out their devices finally.

But you can listen to the new fiio ones with a nice presentation next to all the iem booths.. Guess which booth was crowded .. There was no presence of hiby at all..

Long text.. Just wanted to say... Be patient..

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2019 at 6:46 AM Post #567 of 4,421
My R5 got here after a 12 day tour of european shipping facilities.
My R3 came via express shipping and with an import tax bill , the R5 via slowpoke , freebie shipping and without import duties.
Lesson of the day - faster is not always better.
So you bought via hiby directly?
Import taxes are the reason I tend to wait for r5 to be available at audionext some time in the future..

Sep 15, 2019 at 9:51 AM Post #570 of 4,421
So you bought via hiby directly?
Import taxes are the reason I tend to wait for r5 to be available at audionext some time in the future..

Yes , from the Hiby shop.
The carrier shipped it to England and then it was shipped to Germany from there.
Whether it was luck or planning that avoided import duties I can't say , although some of my other purchases from China are deliberately shipped to the UK where they have secured a better customs deal , and then reposted from there thus avoiding any further customs scrutiny.
Following the letter of the law if not the spirit .
I'm not complaining. :relaxed:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back