R5, a new Android DAP by Hiby
Sep 15, 2019 at 1:56 PM Post #586 of 4,418
I'm tired of the dx150 lags, and I'm waiting for my R5.
Thanks for the good info for me. I was worried or enough power for him.

The dx150 is a wonderful sounding DAP. For me, it's still does great with the Oriolus MK2 (though not as good as the R5 from initial impressions), and surprisingly enough sounds unreal, fantastic with my HE500 (with a blue dragon cable) right out of the balanced output. The HE500/blue dragon/dx150 combo is one of the greatest I've come across.

Sep 15, 2019 at 2:03 PM Post #587 of 4,418
I also really like the sound of DX150, but the stability of my DX150 disappointed me.
I hope that usability R5 will make me more happy.

Sep 15, 2019 at 9:45 PM Post #589 of 4,418
I'm tired of the dx150 lags, and I'm waiting for my R5.
Thanks for the good info for me. I was worried or enough power for him.
Lag ... Dx150 ... No never .. at least that's what the guys on the thread say. I personally think the rk3368 SoC is a joke with its it called 8 core of lethargic goodness. :D

Sep 15, 2019 at 10:25 PM Post #590 of 4,418
Lag ... Dx150 ... No never .. at least that's what the guys on the thread say. I personally think the rk3368 SoC is a joke with its it called 8 core of lethargic goodness. :D

The guys on the dx220 thread said no lag either. And guess what? You guessed it, it laaaaged. It lagged more than any dap I've had in recent memory. But of course you can forgive a bit of lag for that stellar sound. Yawn.

It did sound good, but so did the m11 and so does the r5- and they didn't/don't lag for me.

Sep 16, 2019 at 3:15 AM Post #592 of 4,418
Sep 16, 2019 at 3:33 AM Post #593 of 4,418
Sep 16, 2019 at 3:02 PM Post #594 of 4,418
Great review man! I like that you're to the point and don't over fluff, but also touch on everything. Also doesn't sound like shilling, which is always a nice thing haha.

I think I'm going to go single ended for battery life. Not hearing much difference between single ended and balanced with my VX. The other reason is that sometimes I want to listen on my phone when someone links me a tune.

Also on the subject of battery life, I feel like idle drain has been eliminated to a point where I'm kinda blown away. The last time I charged mine was the other night. I've done a couple hours of listening and messed around with it a bit and my battery is still at 80%.

I had my doubts about how polished this thing would be, but now I'm really thinking that the ZX500 can't be good enough to justify more than double the price of the R5.

Sep 16, 2019 at 3:36 PM Post #596 of 4,418
Sep 16, 2019 at 3:45 PM Post #597 of 4,418
Great review man! I like that you're to the point and don't over fluff, but also touch on everything. Also doesn't sound like shilling, which is always a nice thing haha.

I think I'm going to go single ended for battery life. Not hearing much difference between single ended and balanced with my VX. The other reason is that sometimes I want to listen on my phone when someone links me a tune.

Also on the subject of battery life, I feel like idle drain has been eliminated to a point where I'm kinda blown away. The last time I charged mine was the other night. I've done a couple hours of listening and messed around with it a bit and my battery is still at 80%.

I had my doubts about how polished this thing would be, but now I'm really thinking that the ZX500 can't be good enough to justify more than double the price of the R5.

I'm thinking the same thing about the Sony, battery life is pretty good on the r5. Maybe a little better on the Sony but not huge, and I doubt sonic performance is going to be any better either, given the r5 is very powerful and quiet. I just don't know what I would gain other than it's a Sony.

And after using this thing for the last couple of weeks and comparing it to the Q5 with the thx module I don't think I'm getting m11 pro either. I just don't know what I would gain other than a bit of soundstage width, imaginary soundstage I should say lol.

But I like how r5 presents things.

Sep 16, 2019 at 3:56 PM Post #598 of 4,418
Can anyone else confirm great synergy with FiiO FA7? I’ve been listening to R5 with FA7 and the R5 transforms this IEM to another level. It’s still slightly warm but the top end seems to really open up and it’s a wonderful pairing. I’ve been using high gain and volume is around 30-35. Curious if anyone else can confirm so I know it’s not in my head lol.

Sep 16, 2019 at 4:05 PM Post #599 of 4,418
You can tell how sound is in H900N(power OFF) connection through 3.5mm? Does it have single end power?

The Sony WH-H900N isn't a power hungry headphone and works fine at about 40% on the volume dial using 3.5mm on low gain. I much prefer it with the power on though, as the DSP kicks in and fixes how dark it sounds. I guess you could EQ it too.

Nice review, the R5 is very tempting at its price. Have you had a chance to pair it with your Kanas Pros yet?

I have not tried it with the Kanas Pro. I imagine it would sound just fine. I am using it with the AKG K371 right now and they are very similar in sound and it works well.

Last edited:
Sep 16, 2019 at 4:11 PM Post #600 of 4,418
I'm thinking the same thing about the Sony, battery life is pretty good on the r5. Maybe a little better on the Sony but not huge, and I doubt sonic performance is going to be any better either, given the r5 is very powerful and quiet. I just don't know what I would gain other than it's a Sony.

And after using this thing for the last couple of weeks and comparing it to the Q5 with the thx module I don't think I'm getting m11 pro either. I just don't know what I would gain other than a bit of soundstage width, imaginary soundstage I should say lol.

But I like how r5 presents things.
On top of that, the Sony form factor doesn't look as appealing. The screen to body ratio is terrible. I saw a side by side and it looks closer in size to the wm1a than the zx300. Then they put those rounded corners at the bottom.

I don't think it will sound better either. If I'm not listen mistaken, they're using the h or s master chips that were already in the zx and and wm's.

What they'll probably do better is in engineering and ui/software updates. Sony Android UI is pretty sweet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back