R5, a new Android DAP by Hiby
Oct 5, 2019 at 8:48 AM Post #887 of 4,410
I got my r5 today..
First I thought it was bricked... It did not switch on.
It did not charge.
Then after about 1h on the charger it reacts to buttons and turned on.. Phew..
Installed the new firmware update and now the buttons do not work.maybe the heat it got during the update (could barely touch it) destroyed sth?

Well.. Power on off is doing what it should, the media buttons on the right have no function at all.
The volume buttons work weird..
Pressing power up once it shows the volume level and it is flicking from 20 to 21 and directly back. Or to 28 and directly back. Or to 50 and stays there. That Really ****ed my ears! (very sensitive iems)
The volume down button does the same.

Holding the volume buttons (no matter which one) will scroll the volume up or down randomly.

I thought maybe the buttons are stuck in the case, but even without a case it is the same behavior.

After a complete reset to factory before configuring anything, the same issues are present..

@Joe Bloggs.. Any hints?
I had lots of issues with my r3s (Kickstarter) also but these were early bird devices.. Please help me

Update:
I did a Hardware test which checks how often the volume buttons are activated. And every time I pressed up or down volume, it increased both. So that makes sense.. It always is recognizing up and down together, no matter which button I press..

b7500d-1570309456.jpg

bild-b7500d-1570309456.jpg

(german: lauter = volume up button, leiser= volume down button)

Buttons are not stuck or sth and can be pressed freely.

bild-b7500d-1570309456.jpg.html

That does not tell why the media buttons are defective, but maybe a hint for Hiby and @Joe Bloggs

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2019 at 9:14 AM Post #888 of 4,410
:astonished::astonished::astonished::fearful::fearful::fingers_crossed:
I hope it gets sorted!

Oct 5, 2019 at 9:56 AM Post #889 of 4,410
I got my r5 today..
It did not charge.
Installed the new firmware update and now the buttons do not work.maybe the heat it got during the update (could barely touch it) destroyed sth?

Well.. Power on off is doing what it should, the media buttons on the right have no function at all.
Pressing power up once it shows the volume level and it is flicking from 20 to 21 and directly back. Or to 28 and directly back. Or to 50 and stays there. That Really ****ed my ears! (very sensitive iems)

Holding the volume buttons (no matter which one) will scroll the volume up or down randomly.

I thought maybe the buttons are stuck in the case, but even without a case it is the same behavior.

After a complete reset to factory before configuring anything, the same issues are present..

@Joe Bloggs.. Any hints?
I had lots of issues with my r3s (Kickstarter) also but these were early bird devices.. Please help me

Bummer, Normally I would recommend to try to download and reinstall the firmware from a Small capacity FAT32 formatted MicroSD card. However, their website, https://store.hiby.com/apps/help-center , does not show any downloadable firmware. Looks like it's designed ONLY for "Over-the-Air" updates. IF you can get into that function, try updating the firmware. Maybe a glitch there? It may take 4-5 minutes to update depending on your wifi connection speed.
- Otherwise, Wonder if a button could be stuck?
Good Luck, hope it's a simple fix.

Oct 5, 2019 at 10:45 AM Post #890 of 4,410
I got my r5 today..
It did not charge.

@Joe Bloggs.. Any hints?

Sorry man that doesn't sound good, I hope they can sort you out fast. You've already done the only thing I could think to do- reset. If it's hardware, they should ship you a new one on their dime and also pay for return shipping for the defective unit.

Oct 5, 2019 at 10:46 AM Post #891 of 4,410
Bummer, Normally I would recommend to try to download and reinstall the firmware from a Small capacity FAT32 formatted MicroSD card. However, their website, https://store.hiby.com/apps/help-center , does not show any downloadable firmware. Looks like it's designed ONLY for "Over-the-Air" updates. IF you can get into that function, try updating the firmware. Maybe a glitch there? It may take 4-5 minutes to update depending on your wifi connection speed.
- Otherwise, Wonder if a button could be stuck?
Good Luck, hope it's a simple fix.
Thanks mate, I hope it can be fixed easily.. Would be the 3rd of 3 devices I would have to send back at abt. 50€ to China

I have the latest firmware installed, tried to find an old firmware to downgrade (I have not tested the buttons in the first firmware) and also didn't find any.

Is there a tool to check the hardware button functions on for Android? As these are non standard buttons I suppose not, right?

Oct 5, 2019 at 10:48 AM Post #893 of 4,410
Sorry man that doesn't sound good, I hope they can sort you out fast. You've already done the only thing I could think to do- reset. If it's hardware, they should ship you a new one on their dime and also pay for return shipping for the defective unit.
If it is broken, I would assume that, but also with the r3 there was only a replacement if I send it back on my own costs.

Maybe there is another way to fix it, but I currently see no way

Oct 5, 2019 at 10:50 AM Post #894 of 4,410
Thanks mate, I hope it can be fixed easily.. Would be the 3rd of 3 devices I would have to send back at abt. 50€ to China

I have the latest firmware installed, tried to find an old firmware to downgrade (I have not tested the buttons in the first firmware) and also didn't find any.

Is there a tool to check the hardware button functions on for Android? As these are non standard buttons I suppose not, right?

Usually you can hold power and volume up to get into android recovery mode. I'm not savvy on what's in there though. Joe bloggs should hopefully check in later.

Oct 5, 2019 at 10:54 AM Post #895 of 4,410
If it is broken, I would assume that, but also with the r3 there was only a replacement if I send it back on my own costs.

Maybe there is another way to fix it, but I currently see no way

Companies can always make exceptions, and in light of you had problems with your R3 I'd say they definitly should in this case- if it can't be fixed.

Luckily the only dap I've got doa (shanling m0) was purchased on Amazon. Thankfully all my overseas purchases have been ok. I hope it gets sorted quickly.

Oct 5, 2019 at 12:27 PM Post #896 of 4,410
I'd reccomend a samsung evo, or sandisk ultra
Thanks for your reply, much appreciated. I'll have a look at those.
I'm real keen to go for the R5 but there seems to be quite a few problems with them already.
Think I might look at other options available in the UK. Not sure I'd want the hassle of returning to Hiby if anything goes wrong....... any recommendations. Looking for something that I can use with Amazon or Spotify.
Thanks

Oct 5, 2019 at 12:46 PM Post #897 of 4,410
Thanks for your reply, much appreciated. I'll have a look at those.
I'm real keen to go for the R5 but there seems to be quite a few problems with them already.
Think I might look at other options available in the UK. Not sure I'd want the hassle of returning to Hiby if anything goes wrong....... any recommendations. Looking for something that I can use with Amazon or Spotify.
Thanks

Well this is the only problem I've heard of myself, and of course in mass manufacturing there can be some problems. That's true with any manufacturer.

It's definitely the best mid fi product I've tried so the only other thing I could reccomend is fiio m11, which I had also. I don't know if they stock those locally or not for you. Or you could wait and try Sony zx500, although it's 900 dollars US price, or 899.99 ha ha.

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2019 at 1:09 PM Post #898 of 4,410
Well this is the only problem I've heard of myself, and of course in mass manufacturing there can be some problems. That's true with any manufacturer.

It's definitely the best mid fi product I've tried so the only other thing I could reccomend is fiio m11, which I had also. I don't know if they stock those locally or not for you. Or you could wait and try Sony zx500, although it's 900 dollars US price, or 899.99 ha ha.
Sweet jesus..... 900dollars. That's a bit more than I'm wanting to pay. I can get the Fiio from a company in the UK, it's a bit more expensive than the R5 but if something goes wrong with it shouldn't be a problem to send it back for replacement or repair.
Thanks again for your help, much appreciated.
Anth

Oct 5, 2019 at 1:40 PM Post #900 of 4,410
I got my r5 today..
It did not charge.

@Joe Bloggs.. Any hints?

I had a couple of issues where the buttons on my screen froze primarily the back arrow.
turned on and off, still the same
In the end I removed the SD card turned my R5 on and off without the card in, then I
replaced the card and turned it on.
Bingo! everything works fine now and has done since.
I sincerely hope your R5 does the same I'd be so pi$$ed if that had happened to mine.
Good luck ol' bean
V.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back