R5, a new Android DAP by Hiby
Oct 5, 2019 at 1:44 PM Post #901 of 4,410
Sweet jesus..... 900dollars. That's a bit more than I'm wanting to pay. I can get the Fiio from a company in the UK, it's a bit more expensive than the R5 but if something goes wrong with it shouldn't be a problem to send it back for replacement or repair.
Thanks again for your help, much appreciated.
Anth

Np and I can rec the m11, it sounds great and the UI is very fast and fluid. Only caveat is no Google support and its bigger than r5, which to some people would be a bonus.

Too bad you don't have local hiby distributor like we do here.

Oct 5, 2019 at 1:51 PM Post #902 of 4,410
I had a couple of issues where the buttons on my screen froze primarily the back arrow.
turned on and off, still the same
In the end I removed the SD card turned my R5 on and off without the card in, then I
replaced the card and turned it on.
Bingo! everything works fine now and has done since.
I sincerely hope your R5 does the same I'd be so pi$$ed if that had happened to mine.
Good luck ol' bean
V.
Ah I will try that when I am home. Would be great, I reused a card from my r3..

Edit:
Okay I tried that, but that did not work for the hardware buttons. *sigh*
Thanks anyway for the idea.

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2019 at 3:04 PM Post #903 of 4,410
Np and I can rec the m11, it sounds great and the UI is very fast and fluid. Only caveat is no Google support and its bigger than r5, which to some people would be a bonus.

Too bad you don't have local hiby distributor like we do here.
Yeah that's a shame.
Looking at Amp3 in UK but no news yet if they're going to stock the R5.
I do like the look of the M11 though.
Thanks again.

Oct 5, 2019 at 3:14 PM Post #904 of 4,410
Did anyone compare R5 with DX160?
I think they are 2 Best Buy

Attachments

• 6E4C2F03-573F-4854-8704-14F75446D7AF.png
    6E4C2F03-573F-4854-8704-14F75446D7AF.png
    61.3 KB · Views: 0
Oct 5, 2019 at 3:15 PM Post #905 of 4,410
6B438351-9D23-4988-840D-A11410EB562E.png

Oct 5, 2019 at 3:58 PM Post #907 of 4,410
Thanks for that. I'll have a look see.
Cheers
Any major manufacturer's card should work in the R5. Class 10 or UH1 is more than fast enough for any music I have.
- Memory cards usually get quite a bit cheaper for Black Friday in November. 200GB and 400GB are best price per GB. We'll see if the 512GB size drop in November now that there are some 1TB cards out there...
- I always pre-test 128GB and larger cards before using them to test read/write speeds & to make sure they have the memory capacity they are labeled. There are a lot of fake cards out there.

Oct 5, 2019 at 4:18 PM Post #908 of 4,410
Yes even Amazon has a lot of fake cards. So read reviews, because obviously there's going to be people complaining about getting fakes from that vendor.

I've bought my last 2 from BB myself.

Oct 5, 2019 at 5:03 PM Post #910 of 4,410
I'm using SanDisk 400GB microsd card right now with the R5 and no issues.

Oct 5, 2019 at 5:09 PM Post #912 of 4,410
I got my r5 today..
First I thought it was bricked... It did not switch on.
It did not charge.
Then after about 1h on the charger it reacts to buttons and turned on.. Phew..
Installed the new firmware update and now the buttons do not work.maybe the heat it got during the update (could barely touch it) destroyed sth?

Well.. Power on off is doing what it should, the media buttons on the right have no function at all.
The volume buttons work weird..
Pressing power up once it shows the volume level and it is flicking from 20 to 21 and directly back. Or to 28 and directly back. Or to 50 and stays there. That Really ****ed my ears! (very sensitive iems)
The volume down button does the same.

Holding the volume buttons (no matter which one) will scroll the volume up or down randomly.

I thought maybe the buttons are stuck in the case, but even without a case it is the same behavior.

After a complete reset to factory before configuring anything, the same issues are present..

@Joe Bloggs.. Any hints?
I had lots of issues with my r3s (Kickstarter) also but these were early bird devices.. Please help me

Update:
I did a Hardware test which checks how often the volume buttons are activated. And every time I pressed up or down volume, it increased both. So that makes sense.. It always is recognizing up and down together, no matter which button I press..

b7500d-1570309456.jpg

bild-b7500d-1570309456.jpg

(german: lauter = volume up button, leiser= volume down button)

bild-b7500d-1570309456.jpg.html

That does not tell why the media buttons are defective, but maybe a hint for Hiby and @Joe Bloggs

Updated this post.. It seems volume up OR down is
Always recognized as volume up AND down at the same time.

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2019 at 7:11 PM Post #913 of 4,410
New guy here:

I just connected my R5 to my Chord Mojo via the R5's USB-C port and then to the Mojo with a cable that has a Micro USB on the other end. I don't understand this stuff, just trying to get the cleanest setting for listening to my FLAC CDs and listening to Qobuz "HD" music--both streaming and saved to library.
Am the doing this correctly? Alternatively, would it be better to use R5's USB-C to digital coax--there is a cable on amazon for this purpose.

Also, I was surprised that with the USB-C to Micro USB setup, the volume on the R5 and the volume on the Chord Mojo both work. I thought that perhaps the USB-C on the R5 would have a fixed output.

Thanks for any information.

Oct 5, 2019 at 9:10 PM Post #914 of 4,410
Honestly I'd skip the mojo altogether and use the r5 balanced out. Unless you want a warmer sound r5 has power to use most cans. I mean if you want a transport you could use your phone with uapp and get similar results, since usb c out is just digital data output. The r5 sound is too good to use as a transport imo :wink:

Oct 5, 2019 at 9:18 PM Post #915 of 4,410
New guy here:

I just connected my R5 to my Chord Mojo via the R5's USB-C port and then to the Mojo with a cable that has a Micro USB on the other end. I don't understand this stuff, just trying to get the cleanest setting for listening to my FLAC CDs and listening to Qobuz "HD" music--both streaming and saved to library.
Am the doing this correctly? Alternatively, would it be better to use R5's USB-C to digital coax--there is a cable on amazon for this purpose.

Also, I was surprised that with the USB-C to Micro USB setup, the volume on the R5 and the volume on the Chord Mojo both work. I thought that perhaps the USB-C on the R5 would have a fixed output.

Thanks for any information.
Hey,
Why do you want to use the R5 as a transport to the mojo. From my perspective the R5 sounds absolutely amazing and does not need a mojo to sound good.
If you like the mojo sound signature you could safe the money for a r5 and use your phone as source with a proper softwareplayer like uapp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back