R5, a new Android DAP by Hiby
Nov 8, 2020 at 9:33 PM Post #3,256 of 4,410
I’ve been going back and forth on ordering the R5 but am really concerned about the battery issue. I don’t even know what I would do with it if it happened, sounds like a bad idea to mail it back in such a state.

Regarding the Bluetooth, is what you don’t like about it the short range, or is the connection unstable even when you are close to the device?
I really don't think many batteries have been faulty.
And my BT is actually slightly better than my Sony xz1c phone (One of the best phones I've had re' BT/wireless). My wi-fi is similarly good, plenty of range and stability.
Hiby have managed to make me a fanboy with a single purchase!
I did have some issues with Spotify playback, but either Hibys firmware update, or Spotifys app update solved them some time ago.
It's the right size for me, and sounds amazing. It's great VFM, even at full price, and if there's a sale it's absurdly good for what you pay then.

Nov 8, 2020 at 10:51 PM Post #3,257 of 4,410
I really don't think many batteries have been faulty.
And my BT is actually slightly better than my Sony xz1c phone (One of the best phones I've had re' BT/wireless). My wi-fi is similarly good, plenty of range and stability.
Hiby have managed to make me a fanboy with a single purchase!
I did have some issues with Spotify playback, but either Hibys firmware update, or Spotifys app update solved them some time ago.
It's the right size for me, and sounds amazing. It's great VFM, even at full price, and if there's a sale it's absurdly good for what you pay then.
Thanks very much, the current discount is indeed tempting and I also like the size.

Nov 9, 2020 at 1:32 AM Post #3,258 of 4,410
I’ve been going back and forth on ordering the R5 but am really concerned about the battery issue. I don’t even know what I would do with it if it happened, sounds like a bad idea to mail it back in such a state.

Regarding the Bluetooth, is what you don’t like about it the short range, or is the connection unstable even when you are close to the device?

Regarding Bluetooth, I had a lot of drop outs when out speed walking. Using the same Sennheiser MTW2 with my iPhone SE, no drop outs at all.

Regarding the battery, I don’t think this is a common problem, rather, an isolated one—we are dealing with a lithium battery here. If you buy the R5 at Musicteck and have any issue, others have reported great service ... they typically just replace the bad R5 with a new one.

Nov 9, 2020 at 3:59 AM Post #3,259 of 4,410
Regarding Bluetooth, I had a lot of drop outs when out speed walking. Using the same Sennheiser MTW2 with my iPhone SE, no drop outs at all.

Regarding the battery, I don’t think this is a common problem, rather, an isolated one—we are dealing with a lithium battery here. If you buy the R5 at Musicteck and have any issue, others have reported great service ... they typically just replace the bad R5 with a new one.

Thats what stopped me getting the r5. Bad bluetooth and blown battery. The problem with ordering from china it is not worth it to ship back. Read the ali feedback and some forums that the blown battery can be an issue. And that bluetooth is too weak and can stutter just picking the device up.

Been using the fiio m6 for over a year and no bluetooth issue in pockets or waterproof bag when hiking. Also got the hiby r3, and the bt is weak on that also, but its used in the car.

Nov 9, 2020 at 4:45 AM Post #3,260 of 4,410
I’m surprised that HiBy is updating the R5 already. I wonder if the primary change is the ESS dac(s)? @Joe Bloggs, can you shed any light on why HiBy is changing the R6 and R5 to newer 2020 versions? Are the changes purely the dacs used or are there other enhancements over the original models?
It's called the R5 Saber but it's not using an ESS DAC :|

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Nov 9, 2020 at 4:54 AM Post #3,261 of 4,410
Thats what stopped me getting the r5. Bad bluetooth and blown battery. The problem with ordering from china it is not worth it to ship back. Read the ali feedback and some forums that the blown battery can be an issue. And that bluetooth is too weak and can stutter just picking the device up.

Been using the FiiO M6 for over a year and no Bluetooth issue in pockets or waterproof bag when hiking. Also got the hiby r3, and the bt is weak on that also, but its used in the car.
I have the FiiO M6 as well as the HiBy R5. Bluetooth on my HiBy R5 is as good as the M6 except the HiBy R5 sounds much, much better, and the power from the balanced 4.4mm makes a big difference. Most HiBy R5's don't heat up and swell the battery, you can always touch the HiBy to see if it heats up. I think it is very charger dependent and HiBy should have supplied the perfect charger in the box. Size is exactly the same as the FiiO M9.....perfect. I am really chuffed with the R5 and I've had it a few months. I had two iBasso DX160's that had unusable Bluetooth, at least on most HiBy's it works. It does seem that on the DX160 and R5 BT is not guaranteed to work perfectly. For a large group of buyers BT is IMPORTANT. With receivers like the Radsone ES100 and FiiO BTR5 around surely DAP makers can see that it's important to have consistent BT that WORKS.

Nov 9, 2020 at 8:32 AM Post #3,264 of 4,410
How do you square that? What is the difference if its the same Cirrus chip?

I asked Hiby seller in China about the differences between regular R5 and Saber ver.
Here what they replied (after direct translation):

Compared with the original version, the R5 Saber version has replaced two professional audio packages OPA1642 (original OPA1612), and the sound tuning direction has been adjusted differently. The sound of the original version is warm, natural, pure and more charming. The R5 saber version has a more analytical sound, with high frequency and softness, mid-frequency warm and mellow, low frequency is more mellow, and its interpretation is more neutral, classic and youthful.

Nov 9, 2020 at 9:00 AM Post #3,265 of 4,410
I have the FiiO M6 as well as the HiBy R5. Bluetooth on my HiBy R5 is as good as the M6 except the HiBy R5 sounds much, much better, and the power from the balanced 4.4mm makes a big difference. Most HiBy R5's don't heat up and swell the battery, you can always touch the HiBy to see if it heats up. I think it is very charger dependent and HiBy should have supplied the perfect charger in the box. Size is exactly the same as the FiiO M9.....perfect. I am really chuffed with the R5 and I've had it a few months. I had two iBasso DX160's that had unusable Bluetooth, at least on most HiBy's it works. It does seem that on the DX160 and R5 BT is not guaranteed to work perfectly. For a large group of buyers BT is IMPORTANT. With receivers like the Radsone ES100 and FiiO BTR5 around surely DAP makers can see that it's important to have consistent BT that WORKS.
Agree, but I have not read that many complaints about blown batteries and and poor bluetooth on the fiio players. What I would like is another compact android player with also good bluetooth.

So with no easy exchange it seems to be too big of a gamble.

Any official announcement why the batteries fail and bluetooth issues? On ali it seems seems someone got shipped players with back cover already off and missing bluetooth.

Last edited:
Nov 9, 2020 at 4:48 PM Post #3,266 of 4,410
I dont have other hi res device, couldnt compare. Is there so tiny difference between 320kbps MP3 and Tidal Master that I cannot hear it without scrupulous listening?

I've seen heated discussions about any audible difference between 320k and FLAC files,
so I imagine there could very well be similar discussions re: TIDAL and FLAC

Nov 9, 2020 at 5:35 PM Post #3,267 of 4,410
I ended up finally getting my R5. The box was unopened, and still sealed. This package had certainly been through some experiences. The outer brown cardboard box was smashed right up in multiple places. Thankfully, the R5 box inside was not damaged, as it was wrapped in some additional padding. The build quality of the R5 is very good. It has a nice weight to it, and feels like a comfortable little brick in the hand. It fits in the hand perfectly. I have tested the unit for about 30 minutes. The R5 is certainly a step up in sound quality compared my R3 Pro. Upon first listen, the improvement in bass tightness, bass extension, treble detail, and dynamics is immediate. I have seen in some reviews where it is claimed that this is a warm sounding DAP. I do not agree with this assessment. This unit is rather neutral sounding, and has a tight and defined bass response. There is just a hint of warmth to the lower mids present, which gives the unit a realistic and musical sound. When I am home tonight and have time, I will do a few hours of listening.

Nov 9, 2020 at 7:38 PM Post #3,268 of 4,410
I ended up finally getting my R5. The box was unopened, and still sealed. This package had certainly been through some experiences. The outer brown cardboard box was smashed right up in multiple places. Thankfully, the R5 box inside was not damaged, as it was wrapped in some additional padding. The build quality of the R5 is very good. It has a nice weight to it, and feels like a comfortable little brick in the hand. It fits in the hand perfectly. I have tested the unit for about 30 minutes. The R5 is certainly a step up in sound quality compared my R3 Pro. Upon first listen, the improvement in bass tightness, bass extension, treble detail, and dynamics is immediate. I have seen in some reviews where it is claimed that this is a warm sounding DAP. I do not agree with this assessment. This unit is rather neutral sounding, and has a tight and defined bass response. There is just a hint of warmth to the lower mids present, which gives the unit a realistic and musical sound. When I am home tonight and have time, I will do a few hours of listening.
Glad you finally received it. I went through a similar experience with Canada post with my Urbanfun ISSO14. Happy for you that you finally got it.

Nov 9, 2020 at 9:40 PM Post #3,269 of 4,410
Agree, but I have not read that many complaints about blown batteries and and poor bluetooth on the fiio players. What I would like is another compact android player with also good bluetooth.

So with no easy exchange it seems tobe too big of a gamble.

Any official announcement why the batteries fail and bluetooth issues? On ali it seems seems someone got shipped players with back cover already off and missing bluetooth.
If you're able to order from Music Tek they have a great return policy. My battery began swelling and when informed sent me a new one pronto.

Nov 9, 2020 at 9:42 PM Post #3,270 of 4,410
So happy you finally received it! What a journey it's been. Have you listened to the balanced output yet? On high gain?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back