R5, a new Android DAP by Hiby
Nov 7, 2020 at 5:42 PM Post #3,248 of 4,410
Nov 8, 2020 at 12:26 PM Post #3,252 of 4,410
R5 saber is coming out

I’m surprised that HiBy is updating the R5 already. I wonder if the primary change is the ESS dac(s)? @Joe Bloggs, can you shed any light on why HiBy is changing the R6 and R5 to newer 2020 versions? Are the changes purely the dacs used or are there other enhancements over the original models?

Nov 8, 2020 at 1:29 PM Post #3,253 of 4,410
The biggest problem I have with the R5 is the bluetooth signal could be more powerful, other than hoping I don't get a battery bulge I'm pretty pleased with it.
Wonder if they'll address that with the Sabre.

Nov 8, 2020 at 5:18 PM Post #3,254 of 4,410
The biggest problem I have with the R5 is the bluetooth signal could be more powerful, other than hoping I don't get a battery bulge I'm pretty pleased with it.
Wonder if they'll address that with the Sabre.

Agreed, the bluetooth is no where near as good as my old iPhone SE. Perhaps in the guise of a DAC change HiBy is going to address issues—some big, some small—the current R5 has like the forward/backward hardware buttons being reversed.

I do like the sound quality of the R5 quite a bit, definitely an overachiever at $399 (or way less if you caught a sale). No swelling battery with mine, though.

Nov 8, 2020 at 7:58 PM Post #3,255 of 4,410
I’m surprised that HiBy is updating the R5 already. I wonder if the primary change is the ESS dac(s)? @Joe Bloggs, can you shed any light on why HiBy is changing the R6 and R5 to newer 2020 versions? Are the changes purely the dacs used or are there other enhancements over the original models?
I’ve been going back and forth on ordering the R5 but am really concerned about the battery issue. I don’t even know what I would do with it if it happened, sounds like a bad idea to mail it back in such a state.

Regarding the Bluetooth, is what you don’t like about it the short range, or is the connection unstable even when you are close to the device?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back