R5, a new Android DAP by Hiby
Sep 11, 2020 at 8:41 AM Post #3,001 of 4,421
It does if it's not been updated at all mine was like this for the first update as it was on really old version. It has to update to all firmware incrementally it can't just go straight to the latest so likely your on really old firmware.
Yeah that seemed to be the case. The first firmware took ages to download for some reason. Then it was smooth sailing from there.

Sep 11, 2020 at 8:30 PM Post #3,003 of 4,421
My R5 has still not shown up, which is disappointing. Maybe it will be here on Monday.

The delay will easily be offset by its arrival and performance, congrats!

Sep 12, 2020 at 11:16 AM Post #3,004 of 4,421
I'm coming to the conclusion that the Shure SE846 isn't well driven by the R5. I had thought it was these past few months, until I listened to this DAP with the Sony IER-Z1R which sounds much, much better. And the 846 sounds much better driven by the TA-ZH1ES desktop headphone amp than by the R5. Anyone else with the R5 and the 846 have a similar or different experience?
I discovered that the culprit with the SE846 and the R5 was the balanced cable I was using. The Sony MUC-M12NB1 balanced. Perhaps this cable sounds better with other DAPs or amps, but not with the R5. I switched to the stock SE cable and these iems sound great with the R5. I almost sold the 846 before I realized this. So, no impedance issue with this combo.

Last edited:
Sep 12, 2020 at 1:57 PM Post #3,005 of 4,421
Paying tribute to Toots today, RIP!!
ED71AFFD-B0A2-4F4D-A933-0E3039D6F787.jpeg

Sep 13, 2020 at 12:50 AM Post #3,008 of 4,421
In many ways, my iems are sounding better out of the SE, but I’m thinking now it was the balanced cable I was using. Just ordered a different balanced cable to see if that’ll make the difference.

Sep 13, 2020 at 12:51 AM Post #3,009 of 4,421
Balanced has twice the power. Why use SE?
Yeah. If you have the option of a balanced output, it's much better than single ended. Besides power, a properly executed balanced output will also result in an overall smoother sound with a bigger soundstage. Honestly, I can't even ever think of going back to SE once I heard the difference balanced can make.

Sep 13, 2020 at 11:40 AM Post #3,010 of 4,421
In many ways, my iems are sounding better out of the SE, but I’m thinking now it was the balanced cable I was using. Just ordered a different balanced cable to see if that’ll make the difference.
Just make sure the cable terminations are correct. If you have some kind of weird connector like QDC then get a QDC cable. People run into problems when they try to cheap out and then things tend to go wrong.

For example, putting 2 prongs into QDC can mess up phase. One of my IEMs is pretty good but people are having problems. The current theory is that they are trying to use 2 prong cables with those IEMs when they should have been using QDC as specified.

By the way, besides power, going balanced also has some noise floor benefits.

Last edited:
Sep 13, 2020 at 11:50 AM Post #3,011 of 4,421
Any recommendations for a good balanced cable with MMCX connectors that is under $200, preferably under $125? My balanced Sony cable was widening the soundstage, but muffling the sound, or maybe others would consider it warming and darkening the sound. Regardless, I'd prefer a brighter sound with more forward mids and vocals, and detailed, energetic treble.

Sep 14, 2020 at 6:33 PM Post #3,013 of 4,421
Any recommendations for a good balanced cable with MMCX connectors that is under $200, preferably under $125? My balanced Sony cable was widening the soundstage, but muffling the sound, or maybe others would consider it warming and darkening the sound. Regardless, I'd prefer a brighter sound with more forward mids and vocals, and detailed, energetic treble.
I wold check up on the discussion for your particular IEM and see what good cables might be for it. Bet you will get more insights there in the IEM thread than on a general R5 thread.

I suspect there is some kind of impedance mismatch. There are also impedance matching devices. I have been lucky and so far have not needed to go down that kind of path. I think the first R6 had impedance issues but never heard of R5 issues. At least until now.

Sep 14, 2020 at 7:07 PM Post #3,014 of 4,421
The Faaeal 4.4mm, MMCX cable is under $20 on Ali and is surprisingly good.

Sep 14, 2020 at 11:23 PM Post #3,015 of 4,421
I wold check up on the discussion for your particular IEM and see what good cables might be for it. Bet you will get more insights there in the IEM thread than on a general R5 thread.

I suspect there is some kind of impedance mismatch. There are also impedance matching devices. I have been lucky and so far have not needed to go down that kind of path. I think the first R6 had impedance issues but never heard of R5 issues. At least until now.
I'm going back and forth with this, but an often thinking now that you're right about the impedance issue with the SE846 and the R5. So which iems are people finding work real well with the R5? I'm thinking with a price range of around $500. How about the FiiO FA9?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back