R5, a new Android DAP by Hiby
Sep 6, 2020 at 5:48 PM Post #2,971 of 4,421
Thanks for the response! Very helpful. Glad to hear the updates got you sorted out. I have a PWAudio Loki+ with 4.4 enroute for my Nio's.
Nice, that's well above my current pay-grade, about £30 is the most I've spent so far on a cable for instance.
It'll be interesting to read how well the R5 scales to that level of equipment.
It feels weird to have spent more on my DAP than my earphones, but the value of kit available nowadays Is just so much better than ever before that even my entry level IMR's just blow me away.
Good times (well something has to be good right?).
Right now, even if I had spare cash to spend, the only DAP that'd tempt me away from the R5 is an R5 pro. Failing that, any spare cash would be going on even better earphones rather than any other DAP.

Sep 8, 2020 at 9:24 AM Post #2,972 of 4,421
Nice, that's well above my current pay-grade, about £30 is the most I've spent so far on a cable for instance.
It'll be interesting to read how well the R5 scales to that level of equipment.
It feels weird to have spent more on my DAP than my earphones, but the value of kit available nowadays Is just so much better than ever before that even my entry level IMR's just blow me away.
Good times (well something has to be good right?).
Right now, even if I had spare cash to spend, the only DAP that'd tempt me away from the R5 is an R5 pro. Failing that, any spare cash would be going on even better earphones rather than any other DAP.
I have used my Focal Elears on it using my Meze 99 balanced cable, sounded awesome. They are not my go-to for the dap as they are in my main headrig with an RME ADI 2 but the R5 scales extremely well. It also sounds supers with the Mezes to.

Sep 8, 2020 at 1:10 PM Post #2,973 of 4,421
I have used my Focal Elears on it using my Meze 99 balanced cable, sounded awesome. They are not my go-to for the dap as they are in my main headrig with an RME ADI 2 but the R5 scales extremely well. It also sounds supers with the Mezes to.

The R5 has not disappointed with any of my IEMs, even the more expensive ones I have.

Sep 9, 2020 at 3:58 PM Post #2,974 of 4,421
I recently saw a demo unit for 200usd still comes with 1 year warranty. You guys think it's a safe buy?

Sep 9, 2020 at 7:29 PM Post #2,976 of 4,421
I recently saw a demo unit for 200usd still comes with 1 year warranty. You guys think it's a safe buy?
If it carries the warranty you should be good. Is the seller an authorized vendor? Otherwise the warranty will be hard to enforce.

After getting the R5 I have slowly but surely cut down my hardware base. Gone are my two Shanlings; down to the R5 and the Cayin N5II.

For that matter I am down to three IEM units right now; but then again lately I use my Airpod Pros quite a lot. My airplane oriented Sony noise cancelling pair just sits in the drawer even though it has LDAC. Come to think about it time to try those on again.

Sep 9, 2020 at 9:58 PM Post #2,977 of 4,421
Yes. It's reputable
Damn, that's stupid cheap for what you get, I mean REALLY cheap. Which colour is it? If it's from a reputable seller I'd definitely jump at that deal.

Yeah, I bought my XM4's there and was able to register the warranty from Sony. Hopefully it's still there

If it carries the warranty you should be good. Is the seller an authorized vendor? Otherwise the warranty will be hard to enforce.

After getting the R5 I have slowly but surely cut down my hardware base. Gone are my two Shanlings; down to the R5 and the Cayin N5II.

For that matter I am down to three IEM units right now; but then again lately I use my Airpod Pros quite a lot. My airplane oriented Sony noise cancelling pair just sits in the drawer even though it has LDAC. Come to think about it time to try those on again.

Yeah, this store has been around and it's reputable. I was testing the device a few days ago there

Sep 9, 2020 at 10:10 PM Post #2,978 of 4,421
I looked at one initial review of the WH3 true wireless headphone with UAT. The review seemed to indicate that UAT was slighty better than LDAC but not enormously better. I might focus more on UAT once it is supported with the iphone HiBy app. I wonder if they can somehow bypass the 24 bit 48 khz limit in apple land. Of course using the CCK you can in fact get higher resolution with an external DAC (including the R5). But that is not relevant when using with wireless.

Also on the subject of the WH3; I am not a graph wiz but the Crinnacle graph did not look particularly great.

Okay its a bit weird; but I finally got around to testing out LDAC from the R5 to the Sony 1000XM3. Fairly good sound. But I am not a huge fan of the XM3 in the bass region; seems a bit thick/bloated to me. I use the XM3 primarily for airplanes (remember those things we flew on before Covid?). It took some hunting to find Joe's post on getting to developer mode to open up Bluetooth codecs. At first I thought developer mode might be in the Android recovery menus but of course its not; it in the "about' section for Firmware. Silly me.

Last edited:
Sep 10, 2020 at 7:01 AM Post #2,979 of 4,421
Just took the plunge and got this demo unit for 200USD with 1 year warranty. Came with the leather case too. Aside from some wear on the plastic case everything looks nice.

Any tips on setting this up?

20200910_185733.jpg

Sep 10, 2020 at 7:33 AM Post #2,980 of 4,421
Charging R5
hi,
what charger do you use?
Mine R5 had recently issue with battery after 6 months.
First, battery was discharging much faster then before (even when R5 was turned off!) Then battery inflated so that it pushed out back panel of R5. Still working but not really usable. i have seen someone had similar issue here in the thread... i got R5 exchanged under warranty without issues, but did not get any information on what was wrong - if it was battery defect from factory or i used bad charger (i used to plug it into any charger which was around - ipad, notebook, mobile...). After this, i went through all chargers i have at home, none of them was QC 3.0 (as stated in R5 manual), however i thought R5 (like most devices) is smart enough to handle/negotiate with any charger and takes only what it needs. Only other device i have which i know has to be charged with original charger is nintendo switch - any other charger will kill it.

Does anyone know if R5 is also so strict with chargers and needs only QC3.0?

Anyway, I have my R5 back, happy :) i bought proper QC 3.0 charger and will see how it goes.
But i am curious how you charge it and if you have any problems related to charging.

...also, i have been squinting at ATH-MSR7b - looks like good match and even includes 4.4 cable. did anyone tried it with R5?

have a nice day!

Last edited:
Sep 10, 2020 at 10:18 AM Post #2,981 of 4,421
Just took the plunge and got this demo unit for 200USD with 1 year warranty. Came with the leather case too. Aside from some wear on the plastic case everything looks nice.

Any tips on setting this up?

20200910_185733.jpg

You, sir, just got yourself the steal of the day!

Sep 10, 2020 at 10:19 AM Post #2,982 of 4,421
Wow the wireless update takes forever, is this normal?

Attachments

• 20200910_221824.jpg
    20200910_221824.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
Sep 10, 2020 at 10:25 AM Post #2,983 of 4,421
You, sir, just got yourself the steal of the day!

You know what? I was so happy, but when I got home, I realized I didn't get an SD card! I'm just using a 16gb card that I just found laying around for now

Sep 10, 2020 at 10:26 AM Post #2,984 of 4,421
Wow the wireless update takes forever, is this normal?

I don’t recall my R5 taking so long to update as to be concerned. It’s possible your unit required the latest firmware as well as the update for the music app.

Sep 10, 2020 at 10:28 AM Post #2,985 of 4,421
You know what? I was so happy, but when I got home, I realized I didn't get an SD card! I'm just using a 16gb card that I just found laying around for now

That may be the reason for the slower firmware update if you are using the internal memory to store the firmware. This memory is already half used by all the android and HiBy files.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back