R5, a new Android DAP by Hiby
Sep 18, 2020 at 5:36 AM Post #3,031 of 4,421
And how do these sound with the R5?
Very good. Better bass response than my SE425, maybe a little forward. They are sensitive to tip changes quite a lot so get the right eartips and they sing. They also take a while to settle down when new. Build quality is excellent to.

Sep 18, 2020 at 10:39 AM Post #3,032 of 4,421
Not to put too fine a point on it; but the R5 has a low impedance and is quite powerful. I think one would have to work hard to find an IEM that does not mate with it. In the case of a bad pairing I would look into the IEM or headphone well before the R5 as the source of the issue. In other words I would propose that a question about how well the R5 mates with the Meze or what have you could just as well be "so how do you like the Meze".

Sep 18, 2020 at 4:16 PM Post #3,033 of 4,421
In other words I would propose that a question about how well the R5 mates with the Meze or what have you could just as well be "so how do you like the Meze".

That's a nice way to put it :)

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Sep 19, 2020 at 10:41 AM Post #3,034 of 4,421
Just upgraded my cable on the Meze Solos to their own Silver Balanced seems a much smoother presentation compared to the cheapy Amazon one I have been using.

Attachments

• PXL_20200919_102716673.jpg
    PXL_20200919_102716673.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
Sep 19, 2020 at 12:18 PM Post #3,035 of 4,421
Maybe we need a new thread. "Chat about your favorite IEMs or Headphones for use with R5". I would rather keep the thread to topics related to use of the R5; apps for the R5, etc. As already noted; just about everything mates just fine with this unit and discussions about cool cables for the zillions of IEMs and Headphones out there takes away from discussion of the R5 itself. Again, not saying you shouldn't talk about such thing on Head-Fi; just not necessarily here.

I think I would be cool with chatting about cables alone; but when it gets to "I like Cable X and IEM Y with the R5" we open pandoras box. Seriously there are probably over 1 million possible permutations of cables and IEMs and those discussions could easily dominate the thread while imparting little information on the R5 itself.

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2020 at 7:42 PM Post #3,036 of 4,421
Maybe we need a new thread. "Chat about your favorite IEMs or Headphones for use with R5". I would rather keep the thread to topics related to use of the R5; apps for the R5, etc. As already noted; just about everything mates just fine with this unit and discussions about cool cables for the zillions of IEMs and Headphones out there takes away from discussion of the R5 itself. Again, not saying you shouldn't talk about such thing on Head-Fi; just not necessarily here.

I think I would be cool with chatting about cables alone; but when it gets to "I like Cable X and IEM Y with the R5" we open pandoras box. Seriously there are probably over 1 million possible permutations of cables and IEMs and those discussions could easily dominate the thread while imparting little information on the R5 itself.
phooey

Sep 20, 2020 at 2:12 PM Post #3,038 of 4,421
Head-fi needs more reaction possibilities, I believe morndewey was angling for the "haha" reaction 😂

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Sep 21, 2020 at 3:21 AM Post #3,039 of 4,421
Starting to use PlexAmp with my R5 as it allows you own collection to be streamed or downloaded for offline play. Its very nice but seems to use system Audio stack so all resampled. @Joe Bloggs how come some apps bypass this on the daps and others don't, are they whitelisted or something or does it have to be in the code for the apps. I always wondered this as apps for Tidal and Qobuz work on normal Android as expected and bypass on the R5 they are the same app ?

Sep 21, 2020 at 5:28 AM Post #3,040 of 4,421
Starting to use PlexAmp with my R5 as it allows you own collection to be streamed or downloaded for offline play. Its very nice but seems to use system Audio stack so all resampled. @Joe Bloggs how come some apps bypass this on the daps and others don't, are they whitelisted or something or does it have to be in the code for the apps. I always wondered this as apps for Tidal and Qobuz work on normal Android as expected and bypass on the R5 they are the same app ?
There's basically three classes of Android apps that react differently to different Android systems:

1. Apps that rely on Android to handle resampling, will be resampled on regular Android systems, and not on a HiBy.
2. Apps that attempt to bypass Android resampling on their own, will succeed and fail at that depending on the system and the particular code used
3. Apps that don't bypass Android resampling, but don't "trust" Android resampling either--they resample the audio internally to the system sample rate before forwarding to the system. This is done to improve the quality of the resampling, however android resampling has improved since old days, and HiBy players don't resample at all by themselves. But you can see that this class of apps will resample internally to what it thinks is the Android sample rate, which is presented as 48kHz for compatibility purposes.

Cheers,
Joe

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

Sep 21, 2020 at 7:23 AM Post #3,041 of 4,421
There's basically three classes of Android apps that react differently to different Android systems:

1. Apps that rely on Android to handle resampling, will be resampled on regular Android systems, and not on a HiBy.
2. Apps that attempt to bypass Android resampling on their own, will succeed and fail at that depending on the system and the particular code used
3. Apps that don't bypass Android resampling, but don't "trust" Android resampling either--they resample the audio internally to the system sample rate before forwarding to the system. This is done to improve the quality of the resampling, however android resampling has improved since old days, and HiBy players don't resample at all by themselves. But you can see that this class of apps will resample internally to what it thinks is the Android sample rate, which is presented as 48kHz for compatibility purposes.

Cheers,
Joe
Seems to be 44.1/24 on the R5. Both PlexAmp and Roon (does it's own resampling) only output at this rate. Amazon HD will output everything regardless of source rate to 192/24. I will find out if Plex are resampling which I assume they are or it would bypass it?

Sep 21, 2020 at 7:01 PM Post #3,042 of 4,421
Hello. I am new to the DAP world. I just got a R5 with 512gb SD card. Can someone please help me with setting it up so all of my Spotify content gets saved on that card instead of the R5. I have no clue what I am doing. Thanks in advance!!

Sep 21, 2020 at 10:03 PM Post #3,043 of 4,421
Hello. I am new to the DAP world. I just got a R5 with 512gb SD card. Can someone please help me with setting it up so all of my Spotify content gets saved on that card instead of the R5. I have no clue what I am doing. Thanks in advance!!
Hey there, if you haven't updated your new R5s firmware to the current version do that first (find the R5 settings cog by either pulling down the shade while in the R5 home page, or pulling up to show all apps, tap the cog. Scroll right to the bottom to "System", tap "Wireless update" and allow the R5 to update itself (this is an iterative process, so you may have to perform this several times to reach the current version which will finally tell you that your firmware is up to date and no further update is available).
The card setup is really very simple and just requires you to put the card in the R5 (the card will be formatted in the required manner automatically by the R5 as external memory), install Spotify from the play store.
Open Spotify, then tap the Spotify Settings icon (also a cog, in the top right of display), scroll right down to the bottom of all the options, and you will see (One up from the bottom) "Storage", tap that, and once in choose "SD card" and that's it.
I only have a 256GB card, so I can't say with absolute certainty that your 512GB will work, but I'd be very surprised if it didn't!
Welcome, and enjoy your R5, it's a great little DAP :)

Sep 22, 2020 at 6:05 AM Post #3,044 of 4,421
Hey there, if you haven't updated your new R5s firmware to the current version do that first (find the R5 settings cog by either pulling down the shade while in the R5 home page, or pulling up to show all apps, tap the cog. Scroll right to the bottom to "System", tap "Wireless update" and allow the R5 to update itself (this is an iterative process, so you may have to perform this several times to reach the current version which will finally tell you that your firmware is up to date and no further update is available).
The card setup is really very simple and just requires you to put the card in the R5 (the card will be formatted in the required manner automatically by the R5 as external memory), install Spotify from the play store.
Open Spotify, then tap the Spotify Settings icon (also a cog, in the top right of display), scroll right down to the bottom of all the options, and you will see (One up from the bottom) "Storage", tap that, and once in choose "SD card" and that's it.
I only have a 256GB card, so I can't say with absolute certainty that your 512GB will work, but I'd be very surprised if it didn't!
even 1TB works fine (all the hiby devices' card interfaces are waiting for that elusive 2TB card to come out to test their limits...)

Last edited:

Sep 22, 2020 at 12:17 PM Post #3,045 of 4,421
That worked perfect. Thank you!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back