Quick and dirty k601 vs k702, my opinion
May 14, 2010 at 8:15 PM Post #17 of 48

I read somewhere, the low sensibility and low impedance make the K701 much harder to drive. 
Quote:
There is something I don't understand about headphones and how loud they can sound given the same source. For example, people say K601 is just a little bit harder to drive than K701, but according to specs one should expect it to be WAY harder to drive:

K601 sensibility: 101 dB/mW
K601 impedance: 120 Ohm

K701 sensibility: 105 db/mW
K701 impedance: 62 Ohm

How can one determine difficulty to drive a pair of headphones given the specs manufacturers provide?.

May 14, 2010 at 8:54 PM Post #19 of 48

Quote:
I read somewhere, the low sensibility and low impedance make the K701 much harder to drive. 

I think he meant to say sensitivity...or perhaps it makes little sense to buy them, so they have low sensibility?
wink.gif

May 14, 2010 at 9:14 PM Post #20 of 48
Ah it's 1 in the morning, and I have been working continuously for 8 hours :S but yh sensitivity...

May 16, 2010 at 6:27 PM Post #21 of 48
sorry i've been away for the weekend at the track.  i agree with whoever said the bass is impactful with the right amping, it's filling, but not stuffing (referring to eating... haha). sounds and feels just right to me...

call me on it if my logic is way off but the low-er sensitivity of the 70x = better quality amp to control and provide drivers with a clean, strong signal. less fudge room.

May 16, 2010 at 7:07 PM Post #22 of 48

Quote:
sorry i've been away for the weekend at the track.  i agree with whoever said the bass is impactful with the right amping, it's filling, but not stuffing (referring to eating... haha). sounds and feels just right to me...

call me on it if my logic is way off but the low-er sensitivity of the 70x = better quality amp to control and provide drivers with a clean, strong signal. less fudge room.

Oh come on, there's always room for fudge.

May 16, 2010 at 7:34 PM Post #23 of 48
lol of course :) fudge is delicious!     

by the way, Ana Popovic Blind for Love album + 601 equaled my first "eargasm" since that first one i had a few years ago with my first pair of quality cans (sr60's i believe...)

needless to say, the more these burn in ( they have been going steady for a few days now) the more i love them. this time is different than all the other hp's i have trialed, no joke.

...and let the comments begin about "oh give it a month/year before upgraditis sets in"... haha

May 17, 2010 at 12:48 AM Post #24 of 48
the K601 is defo a keeper for me. The upgraditis will start biting when you start thinking: "Hmmm.... how would it sounds with a Woo?" Any suggestions for a good dac/amp that could mate well with the K601? I'm already amazed by the performance of the Bravo V2 amp on the K601 but I need something better than the Mac built-in DAC. Considering the Audinst DAC at the moment. Seems to be a really good bang for the buck like the K601. 
biggrin.gif

May 17, 2010 at 2:15 AM Post #26 of 48
hey noobiiee try a jan sylvania 7308 in your bravo, best cheapest tube ive found, it really cleared up everything. Also if your looking at a dac, my nuforce udac has been wonderful and pairs well with the indeed/bravo from what i can tell. if you read about the udac it supposidly scales up well for future amp upgrades as well, not to mention its nice and small.

May 17, 2010 at 2:35 AM Post #27 of 48
I just bought a sylvania 12au7 black plate, which was claimed to be a decent all rounder. The thing with the uDac is its availability in Europe. Here in UK a new 1 would cost 110GBP which is around the same as the Audinst. 

May 17, 2010 at 3:01 AM Post #28 of 48
You know what confuses me even more? I have a Marantz 1090 integrated amp and had a Mustang P-51. 

On the P51, if I listen to my AD700 I need to set it to about 9 o clock for decent listening volume. Any more and it's too loud. But with the HD650, I need to set it at about 12'oclock to get a satisfactory listening volume.

But on the Marantz I set the AD700 *AND* the HD650 to about 9'oclock and both have the same listening levels.

The HD650 is like 3x the impedance of the AD700.

I don't get it. 

Quote:
There is something I don't understand about headphones and how loud they can sound given the same source. For example, people say K601 is just a little bit harder to drive than K701, but according to specs one should expect it to be WAY harder to drive:

K601 sensibility: 101 dB/mW
K601 impedance: 120 Ohm

K701 sensibility: 105 db/mW
K701 impedance: 62 Ohm

How can one determine difficulty to drive a pair of headphones given the specs manufacturers provide?.

May 17, 2010 at 3:36 AM Post #29 of 48

This thread makes me miss my 601's. 
frown.gif
 They are in the hands of the AKG customer service department after just over 6 months. I do agree with the OP though. I tried them out alongside the k701 and hd595.

@Mochan, also consider the units that come after Sensitivity, dB (Sound level), per milli Watt (Power). So the lower the sensitivity the quieter the headphones will be with the same amount of power going to them. Although headphone impedance changes the power delivered to the driver. So, by the formulas derived from Ohm's Law (V=IR), use P=IV to produce the relationship between power delivered and resistance, P=I^2R.

May 17, 2010 at 3:42 AM Post #30 of 48
That doesn't quite explain to me how on one amp are of  the same volume with the same amount of current, while on another amp they are different volumes with the same amount of current.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back