Quick and dirty k601 vs k702, my opinion
May 13, 2010 at 6:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 48

mmayer167

500+ Head-Fier
here is a quick and dirty of the 601 vs 70x since i received the 601 yesterday.

702=darker between notes, more revealing, less enguaging, more depth to bass (only with proper amp), better than the 601 for analyzing what your hearing that is for sure.

601= i would describe it as a pillow of detail, nothing so revealing that it sticks needles in your ears but enough to satisfy, vocals are glorious, non fatiguing vs 702, imo better than a 702 for just enjoying music as it was intended to be heard. period.  oh and the 601 is way more comfortable for extended sessions than the 70x series due to weight and head band.

disclaimer---  601 is not run in yet and my fading memory of the 702 is doing just that "fading"...

But, given the enjoyment i am getting from the 601 i can strongly recommend them to anybody who liked the 70x but not enough to keep due too hard to amp and it not being a hp you could listen to for hours and be happy every second.    i am a horrible extended reviewer so unless anybody wants me to try and butcher the k601 sound with fancy words it would be a toss up if you could use it as deciding material.     Peace.

May 13, 2010 at 8:56 PM Post #3 of 48
The 601s are just as hard to amp as the K70x..

May 13, 2010 at 9:47 PM Post #7 of 48
like i exclaimed in my op, this is my opinion.

--mr jobodo, since my hybrid is doing a better job at driving the 601 than it did my702 thus my conclusion that the 601 is easier to drive, maybe better said as less picky, it does require more power but it is not as sensitive to a low-fi amp.

--luckybaer, maybe... whatever it is it should be understood by now that its sort of what happens around here. swings of people acquiring and expressing opinions on all sorts of equipment.

--Frank l, well then dont read and comment if it doesnt matter to you what i have to say. it might to some people...

--pterodactilo, great question but from what i can remember about the 702 i honestly cant give you the best answer, i can tell you yes it is not as expansive but they are just different, mainly because the 601 is new so im assuming they will open up a bit like the 702's did after ~300 hrs. if your after enjoyment of classical music either of these two's soundstage will suit your needs but overall i say the 601 is just more fun.

i suggest if you are frustrated with this thread just plug into some Dana Krall and chill out.

May 14, 2010 at 7:29 AM Post #8 of 48
one thing to note is that K601 needs lots of power to make it sing. A Bravo would do the job :wink: however I doubt a solid state portable amp could do this. Any other suggestion for amping the K601? 

May 14, 2010 at 7:34 AM Post #9 of 48
I had a Little Dot 1+ and that had plenty of power.

May 14, 2010 at 8:49 AM Post #11 of 48

Quote:
one thing to note is that K601 needs lots of power to make it sing. A Bravo would do the job :wink: however I doubt a solid state portable amp could do this. Any other suggestion for amping the K601? 

I use an older HeadRoom Micro Amp with Desktop Module.  It works well for me.  My portable RSA Hornet is also OK, but provides a slightly more darker experience than with the Micro Amp.  The Micro Amp is plugged into the wall and the Hornet runs off a 9v battery.  I've never tried the Micro Amp w/ batteries.  K601 is most neutral of my full-sized headphones (DT880, HD650, D2000).

May 14, 2010 at 11:02 AM Post #12 of 48

Quote:
Can you spare a few words on the bass response, please? 

It's deep and impactful when amped properly otherwise the bass is very lean. 

May 14, 2010 at 7:23 PM Post #15 of 48
There is something I don't understand about headphones and how loud they can sound given the same source. For example, people say K601 is just a little bit harder to drive than K701, but according to specs one should expect it to be WAY harder to drive:

K601 sensibility: 101 dB/mW
K601 impedance: 120 Ohm

K701 sensibility: 105 db/mW
K701 impedance: 62 Ohm

How can one determine difficulty to drive a pair of headphones given the specs manufacturers provide?.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back