Quick advice needed : Sony MDR-V700DJ vs Shure SRH440
Feb 9, 2011 at 7:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

Kloug

Head-Fier
Hi music lovers,

My local Future Shop store have the Sony MDR-V700DJ for 99$ and the regular price is 199$. I already have the Shure SRH440 for wich I paid 119$ at the very same store.

I'm very satified with the SRH440 but I'm always in search for a better sound-to-price deal.

My question is : does anyone had tried these two headphones head to head and wich one is the best overall?

I listen to almost every genre of music except Heavy Rock and Metal. I like a deep, textured bass and an extended treble. What I hate most is a colored midrange : I prefer a recessed neutral midrange than a forward colored one. Also, I hate booming upper bass that bury everything.

An example of coloration : I tried the Sennheiser HD 435 for a few days and while I liked very much the midrange for some vocals, I hated the fact that this midrange had a general "boxy plasticky" coloration with sometimes booming upper bass. 

My sources are a Sony A726 MP3 Player and a Yamaha receiver with a good CD player for a more serious listening.

Any comments will be very appreciated.

Thanks

Feb 10, 2011 at 1:45 AM Post #2 of 2
Well, I've just bought the Sony MDR-V700DJ, so I will answer to myself.

They are well built and inspire confidence. They are heavy, the cable is thick and they are extremely easy to drive. 

Oh, and they look very nice!

But that's all...

...Because they are very bad when it comes to sound quality and comfort. The overall sound is congested, muffled, overly boomy in the mid-bass and generally annoying. Where is the treble and the deep bass and the overall energy? Not in these for sure! Comfort-wise, these hurt my ears like hell after only 15 minutes.

I will return these Sony to the store tomorow. The Sennheiser HD435, for wich I paid 49$, is much better, even with its midrange coloration!

This makes me realise again how good are the Shure SRH440. More than ever, they are my absolute reference at this price point.

Really, the Sony MDR-V700DJ are a bad joke, please don't buy them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back