Questyle QP1
Feb 8, 2017 at 1:44 AM Post #3,991 of 4,272

That would be appreciated.  The Questyle website obviously still displays the previous version, so I'm curious how visually discernible the difference is.

I tried to snap some pictures but it was a bit tricky to get it focused. I can try to ask a friend possibly with a decent camera if he could try get some pics since I'm not really getting a good shot with my phone. I could also try to grab a few older units and see if we can get pics to compare.

headphones.com Stay updated on headphones.com at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.headphones.com/ andrew@headphones.com
Feb 8, 2017 at 5:15 AM Post #3,992 of 4,272
  I tried to snap some pictures but it was a bit tricky to get it focused. I can try to ask a friend possibly with a decent camera if he could try get some pics since I'm not really getting a good shot with my phone. I could also try to grab a few older units and see if we can get pics to compare.

Will the Questyle website change images to reflect the new appearance of the DAP or is it mostly indiscernible?

Feb 9, 2017 at 1:59 AM Post #3,993 of 4,272
Interesting, I hadn't even thought to check that lately. I'll whip out some of my iems I usually use to test hiss and see.
Yup slight change in the metal. Both the middle button and wheel have a sort of glossy glass appearance and look to it now and that is an indication if it is a new batch model. I can try to get picture if it.
From what I've been explained about the internal changes is besides the wheel change is that some better internal components were used. I only heard about it briefly and it was explained to me that it did not change sound quality but if it does indeed lower the noise floor I would like to try this out and check to confirm.\

Just got my new-wheel unit. Since I never heard the old one, I don't know how to compare noise floor, but listening with IEMs, hiss is very, very low or non-existent. I'm delighted by how well the QP1R sounds compared with my iBasso DX90: full, well-defined bass and clean upper frequencies, plucked strings and percussion are fast as they should, fine detail comes through, overall a well-balanced presentation. Not quite at the level of my non-portable systems costing several times more, but surprisingly close for such a small package. The wheel took a few tries to get used to, but I can navigate where I want easily now. Exceeds expectations, for sure.

Feb 9, 2017 at 3:14 AM Post #3,994 of 4,272
Welcome aboard. The QP1R has been for me one of those great products that even after a year I'm always happy to listen to it. If it has a fault it is that its one of those products that makes everything sound better, ideally it probably shouldn't, but it does and I won't complain. It is a pretty basic machine for making music so it should be easy to use, it sounds like the new wheel will be very helpful here.

Feb 9, 2017 at 4:33 PM Post #3,997 of 4,272
Feb 13, 2017 at 2:01 AM Post #4,000 of 4,272
I’m running firmware V1.0.08 and am experiencing hiccups I’ve read about in the past in regards to the battery indicator.  I was listening at 23%, then when I rechecked minutes later… I was surprised to see the indicator at 100%.  After listening for six or seven minutes, the QP1R shut off and wouldn’t restart.  I plugged the DAP in for a recharge for only a minute or two and it displayed 97%, but cut out once I’d unplugged it.  I let it charge for a few minutes more and was surprised to see it at 100%.  I’ve been listening for around eight minutes or more and the indicator is now staying at 97% without shutting down… yet.

Has any of this been experienced with past firmware and is this something that’s still being addressed?  This DAP is only a few months old and is from the previous batch, so I’m wondering if the newer version addressed more than a faulty wheel?  At this price, a proper battery indicator should be a fait accompli.

Obviously if the indicator remained at 100% or 97% for all eternity, I might be fine with it as long as the burn in period isn’t for a decade or more.

Update:  I listened to the player for at least an hour.  The indicator decreased rapidly into the forties and shut down.  I've plugged it in for charging and it's showed 46%, so I'll leave this plugged in for a long time, overnight if need be.  Obviously displeased, but I do like the player... so I'll see what interaction I receive.  I'm contemplating whether to reinstall the firmware or roll back to an earlier firmware.

Feb 13, 2017 at 9:11 AM Post #4,001 of 4,272
I’m running firmware V1.0.08 and am experiencing hiccups I’ve read about in the past in regards to the battery indicator.  I was listening at 23%, then when I rechecked minutes later… I was surprised to see the indicator at 100%.  After listening for six or seven minutes, the QP1R shut off and wouldn’t restart.  I plugged the DAP in for a recharge for only a minute or two and it displayed 97%, but cut out once I’d unplugged it.  I let it charge for a few minutes more and was surprised to see it at 100%.  I’ve been listening for around eight minutes or more and the indicator is now staying at 97% without shutting down… yet.

Has any of this been experienced with past firmware and is this something that’s still being addressed?  This DAP is only a few months old and is from the previous batch, so I’m wondering if the newer version addressed more than a faulty wheel?  At this price, a proper battery indicator should be a fait accompli.

Obviously if the indicator remained at 100% or 97% for all eternity, I might be fine with it as long as the burn in period isn’t for a decade or more.

Update:  I listened to the player for at least an hour.  The indicator decreased rapidly into the forties and shut down.  I've plugged it in for charging and it's showed 46%, so I'll leave this plugged in for a long time, overnight if need be.  Obviously displeased, but I do like the player... so I'll see what interaction I receive.  I'm contemplating whether to reinstall the firmware or roll back to an earlier firmware.

Yep ... that has happened to me ... welcome to the club ... from this point on your battery indicator will never be like it was before ... when you charge you'll need to charge for about 6-8 hours (even if it saids 100%) ... after that you'll still get 9 hours or so play time ... but your indicator will stay in the 90's and high 80's after that you will see the % dropping quickly before running out of juice ... the lower the number the quicker the rate

Feb 13, 2017 at 10:42 AM Post #4,002 of 4,272
Yep ... that has happened to me ... welcome to the club ... from this point on your battery indicator will never be like it was before ... when you charge you'll need to charge for about 6-8 hours (even if it saids 100%) ... after that you'll still get 9 hours or so play time ... but your indicator will stay in the 90's and high 80's after that you will see the % dropping quickly before running out of juice ... the lower the number the quicker the rate

Thanks for the confirmation.  I'd noted inconsistency and inaccuracy with the battery indicator before this "crash" occurred.  I suppose it's now a "battery wild guesser."

Feb 13, 2017 at 5:51 PM Post #4,003 of 4,272
You know, when @Netforcetalked about substituted parts in the revision, I wonder if it was a way with dealing with the wonky battery guage?  He said there was no change in sound reported to him.  Might be, especially since it was one of the top two complaints, the wheel being the other one.

Feb 13, 2017 at 6:32 PM Post #4,004 of 4,272
  You know, when @Netforcetalked about substituted parts in the revision, I wonder if it was a way with dealing with the wonky battery guage?  He said there was no change in sound reported to him.  Might be, especially since it was one of the top two complaints, the wheel being the other one.

Preexisting owners were bequeathed with an adhesive film to give the wheel better traction, so the malfunctioning battery gauge requires a tantamount remedy.  

Feb 13, 2017 at 7:03 PM Post #4,005 of 4,272
Would you guys still recommend the qp1r if im not getting the new Version??

Im from Europe and cant find any dealer that sells the new Version for 999 .

Every single unit sells for 899.

I mean as Long as the circle is improved and working well there shouldnt be a Need for the new Version right  or am i missing something ??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back