Questyle QP1
Mar 17, 2016 at 12:08 AM Post #3,481 of 4,272
  I believe I have owned this for less than a year and there has been 3 updates. How much faster should they go? 

But the main updates for the 9999 song limit and the way they treat browsing via categories has not been corrected in any of those firmware. Yes folder view gets round both this issue. But a TOTL DAP should at least address both these issues. Considering entry level dap does both properly or has way higher song limit then the 9999 of this player. 

Mar 17, 2016 at 12:23 AM Post #3,482 of 4,272
  I've been thinking about buying a QPR1 and was wondering if anyone finds the scroll-wheel a little unresponsive? I got to play with a demo unit and the scroll-wheel seems to be a bit laggy - maybe it's on old firmware? It sounded great though, especially compared to my X1 lol.

The scroll wheel works very well and is very responsive on my newly purchased QP1R.

Mar 17, 2016 at 9:08 AM Post #3,484 of 4,272
I find with a lot of these DAPs the sound quality is often great but the UI feels like an afterthought.

SQ is a hardware issue.  Software should be an afterthought.  If you want frustration, go through the old X5 thread.  I think FiiO helped with a lot of groundwork enabling the QP to start farther ahead in the game.
It will get better in time.
It might be more interesting to hear about the music pleasure that owners are getting out of the unit, rather than rehashing the same gripes with something that will improve over time.  I'm actually waiting for a couple of features that would be useful to me, which will either come, or not.
The one feature I'm really sold on is the tactile response.  I've  never had that before, therefore not knowing if the player reacted to a button push.
The lack of a handycapping touchscreen is also a plus. 
I'm done now; I promise.

Mar 17, 2016 at 9:18 AM Post #3,485 of 4,272
Hello,

I have a question about the QP1R and .flac files (and compression versions).

I am in the process of re-ripping my CD collection to FLAC using the latest software ripping version of EAC.Formerly my CD collection was ripped using iTunes to ALAC. I've noticed quite a few times where the iTunes ripping has errors in the file hence the re-ripping.

I'm using the FLAC.exe compression program which came bundled with the EAC ripping software. I also tried using the latest FLAC.exe found on the official site https://xiph.org/flac.  I noticed that the created *.flac files are not the same size when using the already mentioned 2 different versions of the FLAC.exe compression program. The one bundled with EAC seems to always be smaller in size (which is a good thing in my book). I just wanted to know if I can keep using this 'bundled' version as opposed to using the latest and greatest FLAC.exe from the website https://xiph.org/flac

Thanks

Mar 18, 2016 at 12:56 AM Post #3,486 of 4,272
I find with a lot of these DAPs the sound quality is often great but the UI feels like an afterthought.

SQ is a hardware issue.  Software should be an afterthought.  If you want frustration, go through the old X5 thread.  I think FiiO helped with a lot of groundwork enabling the QP to start farther ahead in the game.
It will get better in time.
It might be more interesting to hear about the music pleasure that owners are getting out of the unit, rather than rehashing the same gripes with something that will improve over time.  I'm actually waiting for a couple of features that would be useful to me, which will either come, or not.
The one feature I'm really sold on is the tactile response.  I've  never had that before, therefore not knowing if the player reacted to a button push.
The lack of a handycapping touchscreen is also a plus. 
I'm done now; I promise.

Mar 18, 2016 at 1:04 AM Post #3,487 of 4,272
Cant edit my last post for some reason. Anyway, for sure the sound quality is an important consideration - I was pleasantly surprised by the performance.

But when spending so much money I also think software design and updates are important; my main gripe was with the scroll wheel being unresponsive and taking a fair effort to get any response out of it. Not sure if it was a problem with the demo unit I played with, the scroll wheel design or software, hence I asked in this thread. Certainly not a show stopper and I loved the sound quality from the unit.

Mar 18, 2016 at 6:13 PM Post #3,488 of 4,272
Review is finally up. Sorry about it being short and taking such a long time.

http://www.head-fi.org/products/questyle-audio-qp1r/reviews/15521

Mar 18, 2016 at 6:18 PM Post #3,489 of 4,272
Cant edit my last post for some reason. Anyway, for sure the sound quality is an important consideration - I was pleasantly surprised by the performance.

But when spending so much money I also think software design and updates are important; my main gripe was with the scroll wheel being unresponsive and taking a fair effort to get any response out of it. Not sure if it was a problem with the demo unit I played with, the scroll wheel design or software, hence I asked in this thread. Certainly not a show stopper and I loved the sound quality from the unit.

While I know sound quality is one of the most important features of a DAP, if not the most, software must be good enough to allow a user to navigate the UI with ease. Though, its software and can be easily fixed, hardware is absolutely not able to be done so.
The scroll wheel gets much easier after using the unit for a while. Some users have done several things to make it easier to move. Honestly, its nothing to be worried too much about. If it bothers you enough, you can switch the left and right buttons to move by items instead of pages. So there a few workarounds available. 

Mar 18, 2016 at 8:35 PM Post #3,490 of 4,272
  It would be great to have some feedbacks about the sound difference between the Q1 and Q1Pr as the price is also quite different !

I'm sorry I can't compare the two, but when I first loaded some music onto my QP1 it was a weak in the knees gotta sit down moment.  I listen with Shure 530 ear buds/IEMs(?) On low gain.  Most of the Music I listen to would be too loud (painfully loud sometimes) when the volume is set to max  on low gain.  I listen to both kinds of music, Grateful Dead and Jerry Garcia band.  
L3000.gif
    but seriously, mostly live soundboards and very excellent audience recordings.  Some 24 some 16 bit.  When I got around to some studio (Dead, Stones, Pink Floyd, King Crimson) - stunning.  

For me budget is also a balancing act.   For my 2¢ I would put any money left over after the QP1 into the ear buds.   The difference between an incredible DAP and an assume DAP is probably (much) less than the difference between the ear buds/IEMs you would get for the extra $300. 

Good luck and happy listening.   

Mar 19, 2016 at 5:30 PM Post #3,493 of 4,272

Thou art forgiven.  Nice and concise.

Preciate it! I was worried it was going to sound really bad or incohesive as I normally do when I talk for long periods of time. Besides, I have Moedawg's review that pretty much destroys mine. Its like a peasant standing next to a king lol. No comparision.

Seriously though, I'm glad you like it.

Mar 21, 2016 at 7:52 AM Post #3,494 of 4,272
Anyone got any info on how to 'reset' just the battery indicator? Other then reloading firmware?

I ran out of power and each time I tried to turn the QP1R on it would shut-off right after the banner page, instead of showing the dreaded RED 4% ... I guess I went below this magic number.

I have the unit plugged into a charger now but the indicator is reading 99% ... when this happens I just leave it plugged in until it hits 100% ...

Are there any other ways to 'reset' the battery indicator?

Mar 21, 2016 at 9:11 AM Post #3,495 of 4,272
I had the same issue before. What I did was to connect it to a charger, and power it on. While it is turned on, press the power button for 15s to force a hard reset (your music will still be safe but your settings are all gone) and then it can turn on without a hitch now. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back