Questyle QP1
Feb 22, 2016 at 6:20 PM Post #3,436 of 4,272
So I'll be getting my carbon fiber twill veneer sheet in 2 days. Assuming it turns out well, I was debating getting an actually non-flexible plate to apply to the back. So with that being said, what thickness would you guys recommend me do?

I thought the thinner plates would work nice but veneer is pretty thin and I'm not too sure how well I can finish the edges to make it look nice. Therefore, I have many options to go by. Aside from thickness, I can get a good price on either quasi-ply or twill-ply CF.

Thanks for the help guys!

Feb 24, 2016 at 3:51 PM Post #3,437 of 4,272
  a question:  what's the difference between changing gain and changing volume?  suppose i can listen to some headphones at high volume while on low gain, at medium volume on medium gain, and at low volume on high gain.  is any of these setting combinations preferable, and if so, why?  [thanks to anyone who can clarify this for me.]

For one changing the gain changes the accuracy of the volume control, if you have a headphone that reaches maximum listening level at 25 using high gain, it will have more points of usable volume using low gain. You should also have a lower noise floor using the lower gain settings. Gain takes place in the amplifier, volume takes place in the preamplifier. Or in other words, gain is the difference between the signal coming into the amplifier and the signal leaving the amplifier. IE: if an amplifier provides 20db of gain, then a signal of 90db becomes a signal of 110db, but more importantly, a noise floor of -100db, becomes a noise floor of -80db.

Feb 24, 2016 at 4:17 PM Post #3,438 of 4,272

a question:  what's the difference between changing gain and changing volume?  suppose i can listen to some headphones at high volume while on low gain, at medium volume on medium gain, and at low volume on high gain.  is any of these setting combinations preferable, and if so, why?  [thanks to anyone who can clarify this for me.]

For one changing the gain changes the accuracy of the volume control, if you have a headphone that reaches maximum listening level at 25 using high gain, it will have more points of usable volume using low gain. You should also have a lower noise floor using the lower gain settings. Gain takes place in the amplifier, volume takes place in the preamplifier. Or in other words, gain is the difference between the signal coming into the amplifier and the signal leaving the amplifier. IE: if an amplifier provides 20db of gain, then a signal of 90db becomes a signal of 110db, but more importantly, a noise floor of -100db, becomes a noise floor of -80db.

that's what i was looking for- that gain and volume acted in different places in the signal chain.  but another question:  if the noise is in the original signal, won't increasing the signal ANYWHERE in the process have the same effect?  so is the relevance only to noise produced within the processing chain itself?

Feb 25, 2016 at 2:09 PM Post #3,439 of 4,272
  that's what i was looking for- that gain and volume acted in different places in the signal chain.  but another question:  if the noise is in the original signal, won't increasing the signal ANYWHERE in the process have the same effect?  so is the relevance only to noise produced within the processing chain itself?

Yes, gain noise is created by the circuitry between the volume control and the amplifier, since in this case the volume control take place before the DAC, we're looking at the base line noise level of the DAC itself, which may or may not be negligible.

Feb 25, 2016 at 2:50 PM Post #3,440 of 4,272

Yes, gain noise is created by the circuitry between the volume control and the amplifier, since in this case the volume control take place before the DAC, we're looking at the base line noise level of the DAC itself, which may or may not be negligible.

so it makes sense then to prefer higher volume with lower gain, since gain can only increase any distortion from the dac and amp, while volume works on the input signal so at that stage you're just dealing with any noise that was in your original signal.  thanks for explaining all this.  much appreciated.

Feb 26, 2016 at 7:59 PM Post #3,441 of 4,272
Thought I post back on the project I mentioned for those interested. I have cut several blanks today and hope to refine the edges. Since the QP1R has rounded corners on the glass, I'll have to shape it by hand. When I finish cutting it, I'll get my Meguiar's M105 and M205 on the plates and hopefully post them up.

Forgot how much fun this stuff is. 

Feb 26, 2016 at 8:09 PM Post #3,442 of 4,272
Thought I post back on the project I mentioned for those interested. I have cut several blanks today and hope to refine the edges. Since the QP1R has rounded corners on the glass, I'll have to shape it by hand. When I finish cutting it, I'll get my Meguiar's M105 and M205 on the plates and hopefully post them up.

Forgot how much fun this stuff is. 
pics?

Feb 26, 2016 at 10:38 PM Post #3,444 of 4,272

This was a quick VERY rough cut to see how the plate looks when it lays on the QP1R. Of course, this is not measured to size and doesn't represent my true cuts that I am currently working on.

These are closer to my true cuts. They are sitting in a citrus solution to clean them completely off of any dust. The last photo displays the 3k twill carbon fiber. Its amazing in person so I can't wait to finish this.

Feb 27, 2016 at 5:05 AM Post #3,445 of 4,272
I tried my final audio heaven 7 iems on low gain as suggested by the questyle pdf and i had to change it to high gain as it was such poor quality. My ku10 i have tried both settings and high suits them best. I thought both these monitors were meant to be hard to drive. Can anyone clarify. Thanks

Feb 28, 2016 at 9:58 AM Post #3,448 of 4,272
  If the Questyle team can incorporate quick scrolling (ie. when scroll fast enough it scrolls in terms of the alphabets rather than the individual songs) that would be great. Something I really miss from the UI.

I've suggested that in multiple occasions as early as the product development and even before FW 1.05 came out, but they are yet to implement the same. 

Feb 28, 2016 at 11:42 AM Post #3,449 of 4,272
I just got my QP1R for two days. It's a great match for my K10U. But I have some uneven light leaking issues on the edge of the screen. Is there anybody else having the same problem? For such a small screen and high end device, I would definitely expect a better quality control for the screen. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back