Questyle QP1
Dec 28, 2015 at 4:50 AM Post #3,061 of 4,272
 Surprisingly I did not think it drove the Beyerdynamic T1 (first generation) to high enough levels either. I say surprising because I listen at relatively low levels and the Beyerdynamic T1s are one of the cans listed on the Questyle web site as being driven very well by the QP1-R.

Perhaps it was a lot noisier than I thought, but I would definitely not count on it driving the he-6.

It would be great if someone else could confirm this.

I don't have the HE6, so cannot help at all there, but I tried my QP1-R with both my first gen Beyer T1 and my HE500, and was extremely pleased with both. Personally, I don't feel that the QP1-R "struggles" with the T1. That said, I mostly use it with IEMs, as it's way more comfortable on the go, lol.

Dec 28, 2015 at 9:39 AM Post #3,063 of 4,272
Assuming noise level is not a concern. What volume level would be best to drive a iem or headphone? Where the listening volume runs to 50-55 or when it is near the middle as in 30?

I listen to my headphones max 30 on high gain with background noise around. 20-25 at night in bed. My iem 25 on low gain with background noise and max 20 at night. I guess ultimately it would vary by individual preferences and type of hf or iem used. The QP1R can go extremely loud and way beyond safe listening levels if you want it to.

Dec 28, 2015 at 9:42 AM Post #3,064 of 4,272
For me IEM gain L .. Volume 8-12 depending on outside noise level. Or for IEM gain M .. Volume 8-10 ... Also dpends on which type of cable ... I've been experimenting with different brand cables .... Favorite so far was one from plus sound but the plug has gotten a defect so waiting on replacement to fix it

Dec 28, 2015 at 9:45 AM Post #3,065 of 4,272
Assuming noise level is not a concern. What volume level would be best to drive a iem or headphone? Where the listening volume runs to 50-55 or when it is near the middle as in 30?

Every IEM and headphone is different with regards to the volume setting and gain requirements. Meaning 30 maybe exceeding loud for an IEM even in Low gain but not enough for a harder to drive headphone that may require 38 or more in Medium or High gain to really hear the music. Also, it's more about how loud the individual wants to hear the music and also if they want to safely listen to the music (85dB and below is safe hearing).

Dec 28, 2015 at 6:47 PM Post #3,068 of 4,272
Well I received my QP1R today. Out of the box, FW V1.04 was installed. I decided to throw caution to the wind and leave the installed FW. I had two microSD 128gb cards filled and waiting for it's arrival. All was going well, for the first few hours, until the player reported an error message "File Not Found". After a couple of minutes of confusion, I found that one of the microSD cards was not being read. To exacerbate the problem, I had also bought a Dignis case that was so tight, that I couldn't get the player out to check the cards (be prepared for a fight the first time you remove it). Short story - after removing/reinstalling the cards which didn't do anything, then doing a reset, all is well again. It truly is a remarkable player but I wasn't prepared for so much drama in the first few hours of ownership.

Update: Problem is back and it turned out to be a bad card.

Dec 28, 2015 at 7:40 PM Post #3,069 of 4,272
 Haven't read the whole thread. Is there a detailed comparison between the QP1 and QP1R? Is the sound quality difference something that could be picked up in a blind test?

Also is DAC functionality something that FW can address? I'm loathe to leave foobar while I'm working on my PC. 

Finally, anyone have the original Geekout 450 that can compare the SQ with this? That's what I do most of my listening with these days.

edit: one more thing - anyone pair the QP1 with the Flare R2Pros?

Dec 28, 2015 at 7:44 PM Post #3,070 of 4,272
   Haven't read the whole thread. Is there a detailed comparison between the QP1 and QP1R? Is the sound quality difference something that could be picked up in a blind test?

Also is DAC functionality something that FW can address? I'm loathe to leave foobar while I'm working on my PC. 

Finally, anyone have the original Geekout 450 that can compare the SQ with this? That's what I do most of my listening with these days.

I noticed improved sound when I auditioned both at the Torrance show. Its not huge, but its there. If you want the best SQ they have, then the QP1R is the winner.

Dec 28, 2015 at 8:08 PM Post #3,071 of 4,272
Every IEM and headphone is different with regards to the volume setting and gain requirements. Meaning 30 maybe exceeding loud for an IEM even in Low gain but not enough for a harder to drive headphone that may require 38 or more in Medium or High gain to really hear the music. Also, it's more about how loud the individual wants to hear the music and also if they want to safely listen to the music (85dB and below is safe hearing).

Sorry. I should have made my question clearer. It was more on the level of gain used. To set the listening volume "number" to its higher end or middle end for each iem/headphone. Ultimately it would have to be what you hear is better to you. But a ideal starting point would be good.

Are there any further news on the new firmware to correct the 5800 files limit and the changing of font size?

Dec 28, 2015 at 8:12 PM Post #3,072 of 4,272
I listen to my headphones max 30 on high gain with background noise around. 20-25 at night in bed. My iem 25 on low gain with background noise and max 20 at night. I guess ultimately it would vary by individual preferences and type of hf or iem used. The QP1R can go extremely loud and way beyond safe listening levels if you want it to.

For me IEM gain L .. Volume 8-12 depending on outside noise level. Or for IEM gain M .. Volume 8-10 ... Also dpends on which type of cable ... I've been experimenting with different brand cables .... Favorite so far was one from plus sound but the plug has gotten a defect so waiting on replacement to fix it

It seems it does not matter much. Some use a gain level where the listening volume runs in the lower 10-20 level while others use a gain where their listening levels run in the middle levels , around 30.

I was just curious and wanted a starting point to listen to the music before experimenting :thumbsup_tone1:

Dec 28, 2015 at 8:39 PM Post #3,073 of 4,272
Hey guys!

I hope everyone had a great Christmas, Chanukah or whatever, if anything, you celebrate!! I also hope that you found some cool new hifi toys in your stocking! Mine had a pair of Westone W60's and Fostex/Massdrop TH-X00's ( oh, and the not yet released Questyle CMA600i! ) :wink:, so needless to say, for me it was a great holiday!!

Now, back to business! A lot of questions since I've been here last, I will try to get to all of them here as soon as possible. Please bear with me. :)

Dec 28, 2015 at 8:46 PM Post #3,074 of 4,272
Hey guys!

I hope everyone had a great Christmas, Chanukah or whatever, if anything, you celebrate!! I also hope that you found some cool new hifi toys in your stocking! Mine had a pair of Westone W60's and Fostex/Massdrop TH-X00's ( oh, and the not yet released Questyle CMA600i! )
wink.gif
, so needless to say, for me it was a great holiday!!

Now, back to business! A lot of questions since I've been here last, I will try to get to all of them here as soon as possible. Please bear with me.
smily_headphones1.gif

Love the new Avatar Bruce, happy holidays.

Dec 28, 2015 at 9:22 PM Post #3,075 of 4,272
Sorry. I should have made my question clearer. It was more on the level of gain used. To set the listening volume "number" to its higher end or middle end for each iem/headphone. Ultimately it would have to be what you hear is better to you. But a ideal starting point would be good.

Are there any further news on the new firmware to correct the 5800 files limit and the changing of font size?

Volume and/or gain setting - it's ultimately an individual choice with many factors (hearing ability of the listener, IEM and/or headphones used, wanting to listen at a safe listening level, blast the music or anywhere in between, etcetera). Try out the various settings and find out what suits your individual wants and needs.

As for answers with regards to the news inquiries, I will defer to Bruce.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back