Questyle QP1
Dec 27, 2015 at 6:28 AM Post #3,046 of 4,272
Just upgraded from the original AK100 to the QP1R. Absolutely could not resist the Christmas special at my local hi-fi shop. Sadly I don't have anything to use it with at the moment as my last pair of CIEM broke. Planning to pair it with SE ultimates which should be arriving in the next few weeks! I wonder the QP1R can drive my HE6 to a reasonable level...

Dec 27, 2015 at 6:29 AM Post #3,047 of 4,272
Thank you. that helped.

anyone else having both? considering a hypothetical situation where in you have to sell one, which one would you keep based on sq alone?

I would keep the QP1r as it would probably be easier to sell the MoJo lol
true, just a shame the QP1R UI is not that great... Maybe a QP2R will be in the works that will fix a lot of that :wink:

Dec 27, 2015 at 6:32 AM Post #3,048 of 4,272
It's tough to say which someone would keep between the Mojo and QP1R because of their different purposes. The Mojo is a DAC/amp and requires some kind of source to function, and it works with a wide range of products. The QP1R is a completely self-contained system and doesn't require anything else to play music, but it can't be used with a PC, iPhone, etc. Sound is very important, but I'd keep the item that performs the functions I want/need.

Dec 27, 2015 at 7:09 AM Post #3,050 of 4,272
@BrutalLegend To me it's like carrying a desktop rig sound on the go. My reference desktop rig consists of HiFiMan EF6, Dr Dac DX2, Macbook Air and a Crosley LP player. The class A amp of the QP1R has richer resolution and more extension compared to the EF6, minus the power as EF6 can drive any headphone I've thrown at it. QP1R can make hard to drive headphones (AKG K501, K340, K141, Senn HD250 II, HiFiMan HE 5) sing, just not at optimum levels. 

Dec 27, 2015 at 8:59 AM Post #3,051 of 4,272
@PhilW @Duncan @AxelCloris Thanks! mojo it is!
I would keep the QP1r as it would probably be easier to sell the MoJo lol

one more reason to get the mojo 
biggrin.gif
. thanks.

Dec 27, 2015 at 11:17 AM Post #3,053 of 4,272
@xEcuToR Sounds good. Though I really want a comparison between the unbalanced Ponoplayer and the QP1R.

The next question would be if anyone has connected the mojo to the QP1R and what that sounds like?
Yes, and that was a large part of what I based my impressions on... If you plan to use a player as a transport, would be more cost effective to get a 1st generation AK player with two slots, the QP1R is best left for playback only...

Dec 27, 2015 at 12:34 PM Post #3,055 of 4,272
Pioneer is better transport imho. More space too.
I will not allow you to tempt me with your words of wisdom...

Why are there so many good players out there these days!?

Dec 27, 2015 at 7:35 PM Post #3,057 of 4,272
Just upgraded from the original AK100 to the QP1R. Absolutely could not resist the Christmas special at my local hi-fi shop. Sadly I don't have anything to use it with at the moment as my last pair of CIEM broke. Planning to pair it with SE ultimates which should be arriving in the next few weeks! I wonder the QP1R can drive my HE6 to a reasonable level...

Got to try it with my brother's he-6 two days ago. Granted it was in a noisy Christmas dinner environment and I was listening to Miles' classic "Kind of Blue" which is not recorded at the ridiculously high levels of some modern music. Nevertheless I did not think the QP1-R drove the he-6 to adequate levels. Surprisingly I did not think it drove the Beyerdynamic T1 (first generation) to high enough levels either. I say surprising because I listen at relatively low levels and the Beyerdynamic T1s are one of the cans listed on the Questyle web site as being driven very well by the QP1-R.

Perhaps it was a lot noisier than I thought, but I would definitely not count on it driving the he-6.

It would be great if someone else could confirm this.

Dec 27, 2015 at 7:43 PM Post #3,058 of 4,272
Got to try it with my brother's he-6 two days ago. Granted it was in a noisy Christmas dinner environment and I was listening to Miles' classic "Kind of Blue" which is not recorded at the ridiculously high levels of some modern music. Nevertheless I did not think the QP1-R drove the he-6 to adequate levels. Surprisingly I did not think it drove the Beyerdynamic T1 (first generation) to high enough levels either. I say surprising because I listen at relatively low levels and the Beyerdynamic T1s are one of the cans listed on the Questyle web site as being driven very well by the QP1-R.

Perhaps it was a lot noisier than I thought, but I would definitely not count on it driving the he-6.

It would be great if someone else could confirm this.

Did you try high gain?

Dec 27, 2015 at 8:35 PM Post #3,059 of 4,272
Did you try high gain?

Yup. That was the first thing I checked. Also tried with an Audio Technica (forget which model) just to confirm that everything was working correctly and the QP1-R did an excellent job. In fact my brother commented that he had never quite cared for the AT and was planning to sell them until he heard them with the Questyle.

As I said it could very well be that I was underestimating the noise level in the environment.

Dec 27, 2015 at 8:40 PM Post #3,060 of 4,272
Yup. That was the first thing I checked. Also tried with an Audio Technica (forget which model) just to confirm that everything was working correctly and the QP1-R did an excellent job. In fact my brother commented that he had never quite cared for the AT and was planning to sell them until he heard them with the Questyle.

As I said it could very well be that I was underestimating the noise level in the environment.

Careful when you switch to High Gain on the QP!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back