Questyle QP1
Dec 20, 2015 at 11:41 AM Post #2,971 of 4,272
  wow just realised how much memory dsd takes up.  need to order some some little cards then!

Unless these are SACD's why DSD the file are large and there is no benefit in SQ just use wav or flac and save on file size.

Dec 20, 2015 at 12:28 PM Post #2,972 of 4,272

I'll look later and see if that's in my directory. It would make sense that it should be there. An .ini file is a text document used to store settings, and the EQ information has to be saved somewhere. Are you using a custom-set EQ?

I mentioned that on @moedawg140's review thread about the eq file.  It's just to store eq settings, as suspected.  I don't use EQ at this time, but better to leave it.

Dec 20, 2015 at 12:31 PM Post #2,973 of 4,272

wow just realised how much memory dsd takes up.  need to order some some little cards then!

Unless these are SACD's why DSD the file are large and there is no benefit in SQ just use wav or flac and save on file size.

+1.  Like recording scratchy 78s.  You're just getting a copy of a lower grade file with a hi-grade format.

Dec 20, 2015 at 12:41 PM Post #2,974 of 4,272
Many thanks for advice. I have noticed some of Wav files did not come across saying that format was unsupported. I think i will try wav and flac in future. The click wheel is still irritating in that it jumps randomly to wherever it (not me) wants to go next. Have also noticed that it jumps at the start of some tracks. Still love it to bits though.

Dec 20, 2015 at 12:44 PM Post #2,975 of 4,272
I mentioned that on @moedawg140's review thread about the eq file.  It's just to store eq settings, as suspected.  I don't use EQ at this time, but better to leave it.

I figured that's what it was. Since it's a file generated by the player, the only downside to deleting it is most likely the resetting of custom EQ configurations. If someone accidentally deletes the .ini the player should still operate as normal. The .ini files didn't exist before the EQ function was added.

Dec 20, 2015 at 3:17 PM Post #2,976 of 4,272
Many thanks for advice. I have noticed some of Wav files did not come across saying that format was unsupported. I think i will try wav and flac in future. The click wheel is still irritating in that it jumps randomly to wherever it (not me) wants to go next. Have also noticed that it jumps at the start of some tracks. Still love it to bits though.

I had an issue with jumping at the start of some tracks. I emptied the music files off both the Sd card and internal memory and formatted the card again using the settings on the player. I then reloaded/sync my player. I'm happy to say this solved the issue. I also use Jriver media 21 and although it was over 3000 songs it really didn't take that long. Might be worth a try

Dec 20, 2015 at 4:22 PM Post #2,977 of 4,272

Quoting this older post for the newer viewers in this thread. It's not something to be worried about if you notice the percentage number dropping more rapidly towards the end.

Interesting. I forgot that was a discussion earlier on. I was talking with Bruce and he said most users got roughly 9 hours of playtime.
I did a test last night and got 8 hours or slightly less when running 192kHz @ 24 bit depth FLACs. I simply looped the Eagle's Studio Collection album till it drained, noting the time and percentage as it drops. I thought it would have lasted longer as 192kHz @ 24 bits shouldn't be as straining as DSD.

I ran Low Gain @ Volume set at 30. Output was to my Westone W60 IEMs.

Anyone got a take on this? I would like to compile all user experience to note for future reference and if anyone else has questions.

Dec 20, 2015 at 4:27 PM Post #2,978 of 4,272
  Interesting. I forgot that was a discussion earlier on. I was talking with Bruce and he said most users got roughly 9 hours of playtime.
I did a test last night and got 8 hours or slightly less when running 192kHz @ 24 bit depth FLACs. I simply looped the Eagle's Studio Collection album till it drained, noting the time and percentage as it drops. I thought it would have lasted longer as 192kHz @ 24 bits shouldn't be as straining as DSD.

I ran Low Gain @ Volume set at 30. Output was to my Westone W60 IEMs.

Anyone got a take on this? I would like to compile all user experience to note for future reference and if anyone else has questions.

Yes, check my QP1R review for battery drain times and descriptions.

Dec 20, 2015 at 4:30 PM Post #2,979 of 4,272
I did email Questyle support and they said it is not norm and I could send it back to distributor for a fix. They need special tool to open the back panel and am not ready to let them do it now. 

My unit has the same issue.
So you confirm that isn t normal ?.
If questyle can confirm that in order to know if we must send back our units to a replacement ?
Thanks.

Dec 20, 2015 at 5:41 PM Post #2,980 of 4,272
Thanks imusicman. Still cant believe how brilliant this machine is over my ak24ss and how ripped off i was with a £2500 player which did not fulfill my audio apetite like the qp1r is. I would love to have a breakdown of the ak240 price justification. Is there anyway the text can be made bigger or should i go to spec savers.

Dec 20, 2015 at 5:50 PM Post #2,981 of 4,272

Yes, check my QP1R review for battery drain times and descriptions.

Very interesting. What quality is the FLACs that you used for the test? When I did 192kHz, I roughly obtained 8 hours of playback while sitting at low gain and volume set at 30. I'm redoing my test to reflect FLACs that are 44.1kHZ to see how much of a difference that will make in playback time.
I remember glossing over the play time when I read your review. I'll post my findings once I get done with my second test. It's a fantastic player and 8 hours is not at all bad to me for something that can play EVERYTHING with no problem. Though I would love to find out how to get closer to the quoted 10 hours and ensure that my battery isn't being gimped/defective at any point. Therefore, reason why I am doing these tests.
Besides, it'll be good info to place in an review or for someone later to refer to it if they have the same questions as I do. Thanks for the read yet again, Moedawg.

Dec 20, 2015 at 6:50 PM Post #2,982 of 4,272
  Very interesting. What quality is the FLACs that you used for the test? When I did 192kHz, I roughly obtained 8 hours of playback while sitting at low gain and volume set at 30. I'm redoing my test to reflect FLACs that are 44.1kHZ to see how much of a difference that will make in playback time.
I remember glossing over the play time when I read your review. I'll post my findings once I get done with my second test. It's a fantastic player and 8 hours is not at all bad to me for something that can play EVERYTHING with no problem. Though I would love to find out how to get closer to the quoted 10 hours and ensure that my battery isn't being gimped/defective at any point. Therefore, reason why I am doing these tests.
Besides, it'll be good info to place in an review or for someone later to refer to it if they have the same questions as I do. Thanks for the read yet again, Moedawg.

I would have to perform battery drain tests with every single file format, bitrate quality, and Questyle QP1R settings (EQ on/off, screen brightness, etcetera) with a plethora of IEMs and headphones to start to have a grasp of the specific battery drain times.  Also, no matter what the battery drain times I experienced, users will experience differing times somewhat to a lot based on how many battery drains the user performed and users will experience differing times somewhat to a lot based on the age of the users' batteries as well.

Not feasible for me to do, so I will not perform these exceedingly extensive tests.  If someone wants to perform the tests, then by all means, that would be awesome, as one point of reference.

With that said, getting 8 hours of regular use is completely normal to me.  I would not worry about your or anyone else's battery being defective with those battery drain times, and all of the tests that I performed, I was not able to break the 10 hour mark.  Maybe if I tested/listened at a lower volume I would get a longer tested battery drain time.  Maybe if I tested/listened with 128 kHz files.  320 kHz files.  .WAV and differing .DSD files (DSD64, 128, etcetera).  Maybe if I used a more efficient IEM and/or headphone.  Maybe if I tested/listened via the internal memory and not a Micro SDXC card.  Maybe if I used a faster/better quality Micro SDXC card.  I do not worry about the maybes at all and use a battery charger if I need more battery power from the QP1R.

Dec 20, 2015 at 7:00 PM Post #2,983 of 4,272
My unit has the same issue.
So you confirm that isn t normal ?.
If questyle can confirm that in order to know if we must send back our units to a replacement ?
Thanks.

Please approach local rep on this. BTW, I engaged Questyle using 'Contact us' on their site.

Dec 20, 2015 at 7:05 PM Post #2,984 of 4,272

I would have to perform battery drain tests with every single file format, bitrate quality, and Questyle QP1R settings (EQ on/off, screen brightness, etcetera) with a plethora of IEMs and headphones to start to have a grasp of the specific battery drain times.  Also, no matter what the battery drain times I experienced, users will experience differing times somewhat to a lot based on how many battery drains the user performed and users will experience differing times somewhat to a lot based on the age of the users' batteries as well.

Not feasible for me to do, so I will not perform these exceeding extensive tests.  If someone wants to perform the tests, then by all means, that would be awesome, as one point of reference.

With that said, getting 8 hours of regular use is completely normal to me.  I would not worry about your or anyone else's battery being defective with those battery drain times, and all of the tests that I performed, I was not able to break the 10 hour mark.  Maybe if I tested/listened at a lower volume I would get a longer tested battery drain time.  Maybe if I tested/listened with 128 kHz files.  320 kHz files.  .WAV and differing .DSD files (DSD64, 128, etcetera).  Maybe if I used a more efficient IEM and/or headphone.  Maybe if I tested/listened via the internal memory and not a Micro SDXC card.  Maybe if I used a faster/better quality Micro SDXC card.  I do not worry about the maybes at all and use a battery charger if I need more battery power from the QP1R.

I would expect that factors like battery age and recharge times play a massive role in battery life potential. However, I wanted to see where mine sat at in my tests. Using the same IEM and overall set up, I wanted to test one variable, audio quality. The prior mentioned settings will obviously play some role but removing as much as possible is the best I can hope for and would be something I could reproduce in real world. I'll most likely do 1 more test after I finish my 2nd one.
10 hours most likely refers to 128kbps lossy and I doubt I, nor anybody else, would be able to beat that quote. However, I want to test if the minimum falls roughly close. I have charged my QP1R maybe 4 times from recieving my replacement. From my first test, I found that 192kHz @ 24 bit depth results in about ~8 hours. I would presume that DSD 64/128 would result in a similar number. However my second test is regarding 44.1kHz since most of my music is coded at that rate. Both tests in the FLAC container.
Again, since these are my tests, all results are reflecting MY possible real world scenarios. Thus I note all my settings and setups to further document my personalizations to these tests.
I just found the drop in battery life after discharging to 30% was weird and further reading back, I found the answer to that problem. However, I would like to address why the gauge doesn't attempt to make the battery life more "linear". But I personally do not understand how to go about doing such so it's not much of a problem to me. I'm used to how smartphones will calibrate their battery gauge and their overall linear decrease.

Dec 20, 2015 at 7:17 PM Post #2,985 of 4,272

Users who are viewing this thread

Back