Questyle QP1
Nov 11, 2015 at 8:30 PM Post #2,476 of 4,272
It's a standard micro USB cable. However at the port where you plug it into the player, is not large enough to accept a standard size cable. Out of probably 20 cables that I had access to, I found one at work that fit. Other than that you will have to modify the cable by triming it. Besides that the including cable should have been at least 20 inches longer. You can't really have the player plugged in and charging, and be able to use it unless it's within about 12-16 inches away.

You might as well see the cable as a proprietary connector, and have to take the cable with you in order to charge it or transfer music.

Just one of the many flaws I have encountered. I have written to the company about making some changes to the next generation units. The wheel being one of the most obvious ones.

Don't get me started on the wheel. It just sucks how hard it is to turn.

Nov 11, 2015 at 9:09 PM Post #2,478 of 4,272

You still haven't gotten the wheel broken in? I know from first hand experience, they do loosen up quite a lot.

Not a bit. I still have to wet my finger tip to get it to move.

Nov 11, 2015 at 9:20 PM Post #2,479 of 4,272
I have put a little piece of felt on the wheel to assist it in turning as well as being able to visually see it turn. It has at least a couple of thousand revolutions on it by now. I would just turn it as I was listening to music to try and break it in.  It has not gotten any easer to turn and will not turn by just using your finger. To the point now is it is getting harder. I think it needs some modification in order to use it, and I feel you really need it in conjunction with the soft keys for navigation.

However, the sound quality almost overrides a few of the faults that I have found with this player!

Nov 11, 2015 at 9:32 PM Post #2,480 of 4,272
Another night on the road. Trying to cope....

Nov 11, 2015 at 9:42 PM Post #2,481 of 4,272
  I have put a little piece of felt on the wheel to assist it in turning as well as being able to visually see it turn. It has at least a couple of thousand revolutions on it by now. I would just turn it as I was listening to music to try and break it in.  It has not gotten any easer to turn and will not turn by just using your finger. To the point now is it is getting harder. I think it needs some modification in order to use it, and I feel you really need it in conjunction with the soft keys for navigation.

However, the sound quality almost overrides a few of the faults that I have found with this player!

I agree on SQ of the device. The wheel is still a pain in the ass though. The guy from Questyle that just retired DGCFAD told me if I sent the device to him he could make it work now he is gone. I didn't want to send it off as I just got my Ether-C's and wanted something good to listen with till my Liquid Carbon came in but now he's gone ...?

Nov 11, 2015 at 9:42 PM Post #2,482 of 4,272

Unfortunately this is always an excuse the makers like to use also. They like to say "We gave priority to the sound quality"
and they believe this a reasonable excuse if their device is nearly unusable and their UI is stuck somewhere in the 80s...

Nov 11, 2015 at 9:51 PM Post #2,483 of 4,272

Unfortunately this is always an excuse the makers like to use also. They like to say "We gave priority to the sound quality"
and they believe this a reasonable excuse if their device is nearly unusable and their UI is stuck somewhere in the 80s...

I wouldn't say it's unusable but would agree it's not optimum. The 80's for the UI is a little harsh but not too far off. 

Nov 11, 2015 at 9:51 PM Post #2,484 of 4,272
Actually the wheel works fine, the issue due on smooth surface finishing. If it were not, our fingers would have better grip and make it turns as you like. Just for testing apply a little sticker or tape on it, then try again.

Nov 11, 2015 at 10:01 PM Post #2,485 of 4,272
Actually the wheel works fine, the issue due on smooth surface finishing. If it were not, our fingers would have better grip and make it turns as you like. Just for testing apply a little sticker or tape on it, then try again.

The DGCFAD person gave me a link to a silicone cover for a Ipod that might help but he never got back if the wheel cover was separate from the outside part of the cover.Yes the wheel works fine but you are right it is the non texture of the wheel. 

Nov 11, 2015 at 10:07 PM Post #2,486 of 4,272
The DGCFAD person gave me a link to a silicone cover for a Ipod that might help but he never got back if the wheel cover was separate from the outside part of the cover.Yes the wheel works fine but you are right it is the non texture of the wheel. 

Superior Set Clear Screen Protector LCD Film For iPod Classic 80/120/160GB Au21
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Superior-Set-Clear-Screen-Protector-LCD-Film-For-iPod-Classic-80-120-160GB-Au21/32445016094.html

Not sure this is the one.

Disclaimer to all: i have no idea whether it will work.

Nov 11, 2015 at 10:48 PM Post #2,487 of 4,272
Superior Set Clear Screen Protector LCD Film For iPod Classic 80/120/160GB Au21
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Superior-Set-Clear-Screen-Protector-LCD-Film-For-iPod-Classic-80-120-160GB-Au21/32445016094.html

Not sure this is the one.

Disclaimer to all: i have no idea whether it will work.

This is the link I got here.

Nov 12, 2015 at 8:22 AM Post #2,489 of 4,272

It's a standard micro USB cable. However at the port where you plug it into the player, is not large enough to accept a standard size cable. Out of probably 20 cables that I had access to, I found one at work that fit. Other than that you will have to modify the cable by triming it. Besides that the including cable should have been at least 20 inches longer. You can't really have the player plugged in and charging, and be able to use it unless it's within about 12-16 inches away.

You might as well see the cable as a proprietary connector, and have to take the cable with you in order to charge it or transfer music.

Just one of the many flaws I have encountered. I have written to the company about making some changes to the next generation units. The wheel being one of the most obvious ones.

Don't get me started on the wheel. It just sucks how hard it is to turn.

Mine loosened up just fine.  And I don't even use the wheel.
I did notice that the surface of the wheel was grooved in a circular fasion.  Maybe, the next iteration of the wheel could have a spoked surface for more friction.  I could see someone's finger slipping because of the direction of the grooves.
As for the USB cord, it could be at least twice as long.  I have a tower and have to put the unit under my desk when using the cord.

Nov 12, 2015 at 8:34 AM Post #2,490 of 4,272

Well, I wouldn't have bought the device if the SQ wasn't a big step up from my X5.  And the 'no touchscreen' and tactile response vibration feature was a big selling point to me.
The firmware's good out of the gate, and can only get better.
I'm only waiting for the playthrough function to be made available.
I hate to toot the 'blind' horn, but, I really think you guys are lucker than you realize, in general.
Off the soapbox.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back