Questyle QP Master New Upcoming DAP.
Jan 4, 2020 at 6:13 PM Post #76 of 267
Where (what country?) did you buy it, and what did it cost?

Also, did it come with the USB adapter intended to link to a smartphone to access streaming services?

Originally, the cost alone is around $2000, but a search online showed $2100 at one dealer, but I don’t remember who.

Jan 5, 2020 at 12:18 AM Post #77 of 267
I'm a bit embarrassed to admit that curiosity got the better of me. I lucked out and found a demo unit online being sold as clearance by the former UK distributor, offered a price I was comfortable paying for both it and the SHB2 Master and was both surprised and elated when they accepted.

I did not have a lot of time to compare to the QP2R since I sold the QP2R about a day after the QPM arrived, but my impression is that the QPM was better in every way. What stood out the most is the complete blackness of the QPM background as well as what was a very noticeable increase in detail. It also sounded more balanced than the QP2r, very slightly less warm and more defined at the extremes while improving on the smoothness (i.e. no hint of digital edge). In comparison something like the very good Fiio M11 sounds flat and significantly less nuanced. On listening to both my brother's comment was that the QPM was in a different league altogether.

Without the QP2R to do a direct and detailed comparison I don't want to say more (undoubtable some of my impressions might be tainted by justification bias), but the QPM is definitely more than a minor improvement. I'm using it with the Audeze LCDi4 via a balanced cable on high gain and high bias.

I don't know what the future holds for Questyle, but I am suitably impressed that I might begin looking for the CMA 12 Master headphone amp.

Jan 5, 2020 at 12:51 AM Post #78 of 267
I don't know what the future holds for Questyle

Their website is now saying it will launch QPM at AXPONA in April. So go figure.

Screenshot 2020-01-05 00.49.12.jpg

Jan 5, 2020 at 1:09 AM Post #79 of 267
Jan 5, 2020 at 5:40 AM Post #80 of 267
Their website is now saying it will launch QPM at AXPONA in April. So go figure.

Yea, looks like that event passed my friend...

Jan 5, 2020 at 5:49 AM Post #81 of 267
It’s surprising to see that a few monthes passed since Questyle launched the QPM and that we are not so much to own it.

May be not as many devices to release ?

The price seems correct to me, especially when thinking about the WM1Z, the SP1000, even the N8. The difference with the QP2R justify the price drop.

I’m not sure I will keep it a long time (may be a Hugo 2 would be a better choice for an Utopia) but the QPM is far good enough to be compared with the other flagships.

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2020 at 5:52 AM Post #82 of 267
I think the evidence is suggesting, at the very least, a pullback of Questyle from the North American and European markets. This in turn might imply some deeper issues with the company. Hopefully they have just made a conscious decision to concentrate on their home market.

It is very easy in these hobby forums to forget how small a part of the overall market these types of devices are. Most regular people just use their cell phones, are quite happy with the quality of sound they get and think we are crazy for spending big bucks for the benefit of carrying around another device that in non-critical listening sounds quite similar to our phones!. Given this, companies that make these devices cannot easily benefit from economies of scale unless the unit is priced to sell well in the enthusiast market and puts equal emphasis on sound quality and convenience (streaming, bluetooth, etc.). Even when they do sell well the margins probably need to be fairly slim.

If a company like Questyle decides to go all out to develop a statement item using a non-standard technology (current mode amplification) that focuses exclusively on sound quality the resulting development and component costs likely mean they are required to price the unit high to make any reasonable margins. This makes these units quite sensitive to anything that may impact the price negatively such as exchange rates, trade tariffs, etc. If the market for the earlier units was already limited then there would be little hope for a higher priced unit with limited convenience features even in a normal market.

I'm sure the ongoing trade war and decline in performance of their local economy has not been kind to Questyle. It's a shame because both the QP1r and QP2r perform at a much higher level than their price point and were easily competitive with the cost no object units. Given this I would love to get my hands on the QPM to see how far Questyle managed to push the envelope with this design. With no known availability it might even become a collector's item. Nevertheless, one has to weigh this curiosity against the risk of owning a non-functioning paperweight should a problem occur with the unit!

I'm glad you said this...because a few weeks ago, it hit me as well that were so in tune with the ongoings of the audiophile economy, that we forget these companies catering to us are small...but that we as a community is small in the scheme of the audio consumer universe....and it doesn't take much for trouble to hit them if they don't have a huge following/sales growth within several years after they start business...it seemed that was the deal with Oppo's audiophile division.

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2020 at 1:42 PM Post #85 of 267
Love my Questyle dap but the support in UK is non existant, they need to sort support out or it won't matter how good their stuff sounds, people won't buy it.
I agree the qp2r but they need better support in the uk

Jan 10, 2020 at 2:29 PM Post #87 of 267
Jan 10, 2020 at 2:58 PM Post #88 of 267
I'm keeping my fingers crossed that mine does not crap out, but so far so good. Since it was the distributor's unit, my assumption is that they got any initial problems sorted with Questyle before deciding to pull out. They have also promised to honor any issues under warranty so that takes some of my apprehension away. Without that assurance I would not have gone ahead with the purchase.

If the (former) distributor is to be believed any support problems should be temporary until Questyle sorts out their distribution model. Doesn't really help if you have a problem right now, but at least there is some hope.

@ZeDuK, since yours came with the Focal Anniversary package did your dealer say who would handle any warranty issues: Focal or Questyle?

Performance wise this thing continues to impress in a very understated way. By this I mean it does not bowl you over with audio theatrics. You really don't realize how good it is until you compare it with units that are considered to be state of the art. From this perspective the pricing only seems high until you listen and realize that this easily competes on performance with something like the Sony WM1Z (actually I've read some claims that even the QP2r compares favorably with the Sony). The Sony retails for a whole lot more despite (I think) only offering bluetooth as an additional function, but clearly that is worth a premium to most people. Perhaps Questyle should sell a high performance bluetooth dongle to provide the same functionality and eliminate the need for a cable.

Jan 10, 2020 at 3:07 PM Post #89 of 267
Hi brams,
I guess it would be Focal issue.
Still very impressed with the QPM (which is better than WM1Z for me too), so that I've just bought a Questyle Master Twelve for my desktop set.
The same way to play very musical, giving so many details but not being disturbed by them.

Jan 10, 2020 at 3:14 PM Post #90 of 267
The QPM warranty would be through Focal if bought with their bundle. I had heard this about the QP2R from a Questyle employee.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back