Questyle CMA600i first impressions thread
Mar 29, 2018 at 7:16 AM Post #301 of 553
@MTMECraig my unit is under 400.

A click will always be present when switching DSD - PCM format on the 600i. It's a general problem for some DAC chips. It doesn't affect all the DACs we represent but certainly not exclusive to Questyle. More wide spread clicks and pops experienced on earlier serial numbers where a different issue, which has since been fixed with a firmware update.

The importer is (or at least was) http://www.mp3store.pl? They buy at export price from Questyle and make their profits based on the idea they will support customers in their territory. Have you received any reply from them, if that's where it came from?

Mar 29, 2018 at 7:41 AM Post #302 of 553
I read back a bit and see you already contacted someone (sorry) and they said there was no reply from Questyle. I can't speak for them but Questyle certainly reply to our emails and advised us on how to run the firmware update a long time ago. Why would they not reply?

As a general point, the majority of the brands we represent will forward customers emails to us, rather than reply directly. That is why they have representatives in different countries. This may be the case with your emails to them also.

Mar 30, 2018 at 4:23 PM Post #304 of 553
Post edited.. It seems the 600i may not be to blame for these "popping" sounds whilst skipping tracks using pcm audio, I have not tested Dsd yet.

Regarding the "pops" people can hear when switching tracks with their 600i's if listening to Pcm audio (standard windows audio, not asio/wasapi)...

I have found that leaving the 600i at its default 48Khz 16bit, which is the 600i's default playback audio setting in Windows 10, makes the "pop" distortion sound more pronounced and causes further delay between track skips.

Changing to 44.1Khz, to match the source material, which in my case I assume is 44.1 in Spotify, makes the "pop" sound less Pronounced and track switching appears to be faster.

Any sample rate above 44.1Khz, upsampling Spotifys tracks, is causing a loud "pop" between track skips.

If anyone who has a 600i can hear a "pop", between tracks, whilst listening to 16bit 44.1 Pcm material, try changing the sample rate in Windows 10 to match. Is the "pop" quieter?

I tested with a Chord Mojo, which was set to 16bit 44.1Khz (I had it set that way to match Spotify), once I reset it to its defaults (48Khz in Windows 10), I found it behaves the same way whilst using Optical. The major differences between both Dacs, is that the Mojo is connected via Optical, and the 600i is connected via Usb and they both seem to do it. Neither optical or Usb seem to be responsible.

I wonder, if this normal behaviour? I didn't notice it before I got my 600i.

Aside, just a general question for all 600i owners, has anyone experienced a faint "pop" after playing a youtube video clip? After approx (edit - 3 seconds) of silence I hear a faint "pop" from my headphone. I have tried disabling all usb power suspend options. It doesn't happen using optical, only usb. I have tried all "Usb steaming mode" settings, no difference. Windows 10 x64 1709.

Serial number of 600i : 10300500679 , Qc check 2018.02.03, Revision v6.F3

Attachments

• 600i.jpg
    600i.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Mar 30, 2018 at 10:35 PM Post #305 of 553
I read back a bit and see you already contacted someone (sorry) and they said there was no reply from Questyle. I can't speak for them but Questyle certainly reply to our emails and advised us on how to run the firmware update a long time ago. Why would they not reply?

As a general point, the majority of the brands we represent will forward customers emails to us, rather than reply directly. That is why they have representatives in different countries. This may be the case with your emails to them also.
i sent an email enquiry to questyle via its website and didn't receive a reply. i have sent email enquiries to other audio equipment manufacturers via their websites and always received a reply - just sayin'.

Last edited:
Apr 2, 2018 at 5:42 AM Post #306 of 553
I sent multiple enquiries at the time the CMA400i was released to ask about that and the 600i. Sent to their main email address, US email address, as well as even going the Facebook route. Zero response - including asking where I should buy from as they are not available in my country. Still nothing to this day. For that reason alone they won't ever get my business.

Apr 3, 2018 at 3:06 AM Post #307 of 553
i sent an email enquiry to questyle via its website and didn't receive a reply. i have sent email enquiries to other audio equipment manufacturers via their websites and always received a reply - just sayin'.

I understand and I guess it depends on the manufacturer as to how they handle questions. If they reply directly or rely on representatives in each territory, which is the case with us. Where it's a representative supposed to reply, it might not be the manufacture who is the weak link.

That said I'm not saying it's fine to get no reply, quite the opposite. Keeping up with all our relevant Head-Fi threads is quite a challenge but I believe well worthwhile to offer better customer support.

Apr 3, 2018 at 3:19 AM Post #309 of 553
Post edited.. It seems the 600i may not be to blame for these "popping" sounds whilst skipping tracks using pcm audio, I have not tested Dsd yet.

Regarding the "pops" people can hear when switching tracks with their 600i's if listening to Pcm audio (standard windows audio, not asio/wasapi)...

I have found that leaving the 600i at its default 48Khz 16bit, which is the 600i's default playback audio setting in Windows 10, makes the "pop" distortion sound more pronounced and causes further delay between track skips.

Changing to 44.1Khz, to match the source material, which in my case I assume is 44.1 in Spotify, makes the "pop" sound less Pronounced and track switching appears to be faster.

Any sample rate above 44.1Khz, upsampling Spotifys tracks, is causing a loud "pop" between track skips.

If anyone who has a 600i can hear a "pop", between tracks, whilst listening to 16bit 44.1 Pcm material, try changing the sample rate in Windows 10 to match. Is the "pop" quieter?

I tested with a Chord Mojo, which was set to 16bit 44.1Khz (I had it set that way to match Spotify), once I reset it to its defaults (48Khz in Windows 10), I found it behaves the same way whilst using Optical. The major differences between both Dacs, is that the Mojo is connected via Optical, and the 600i is connected via Usb and they both seem to do it. Neither optical or Usb seem to be responsible.

I wonder, if this normal behaviour? I didn't notice it before I got my 600i.

Aside, just a general question for all 600i owners, has anyone experienced a faint "pop" after playing a youtube video clip? After approx (edit - 3 seconds) of silence I hear a faint "pop" from my headphone. I have tried disabling all usb power suspend options. It doesn't happen using optical, only usb. I have tried all "Usb steaming mode" settings, no difference. Windows 10 x64 1709.

Thanks for all the feedback. I will try to replicated that with a CMA600i and CMA400i to see if the same thing occurs. I can also try some other brand DACs, with different chips from different chip manufactures. From my experience so far this isn't just a problem with the CMA600i. I think there are two things. One was the original CMA600i USB issue which was fixed by the firmware update (this was a specific to the CMA600i). The second is more general sample rate matching and switching problem that can be effected by the specific system and settings.

Apr 3, 2018 at 3:20 AM Post #310 of 553
@esauseesaw I don't think it is DAC chip fault. CMA400i uses identical DAC implementation and there is no problem whit it at all.

I'm waiting for replay from Polish importer.

OK, please let us know how you get on.

Apr 3, 2018 at 8:02 AM Post #311 of 553
I understand and I guess it depends on the manufacturer as to how they handle questions. If they reply directly or rely on representatives in each territory, which is the case with us. Where it's a representative supposed to reply, it might not be the manufacture who is the weak link.

That said I'm not saying it's fine to get no reply, quite the opposite. Keeping up with all our relevant Head-Fi threads is quite a challenge but I believe well worthwhile to offer better customer support.
As a potential Questyle customer with an enquiry about one of its products, I'm not interested in the processes that it has put in place in order to respond to it. All I'm interested in is receiving a response. I see little point in Questyle (or any other company for that matter) providing an avenue at its website for people to contact them if they are not going to reply. That's poor customer service any way you slice it.

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2018 at 8:23 AM Post #312 of 553
As a potential Questyle customer with an enquiry about one of its products, I'm not interested in the processes that it has put in place in order to respond to it. All I'm interested in is receiving a response. I see little point in Questyle (or any other company for that matter) providing an avenue at its website for people to contact them if they are not going to reply. That's poor customer service any way you slice it.

Absolutely. You should get a reply.

Apr 3, 2018 at 9:04 AM Post #313 of 553
I've carried out some tests, hopefully this will help...

Isn't 48Khz the default windows setting until you tell it otherwise? Once changed it will remember the last setting.

I can't reproduce any pops in Spotify with the sample rate set in Windows to 44.1/16 or 44.1/24. Also using Windows 10. That seems to be the best setting to use that service. Other sample rates cause very slight clicks at the begin of tracks but they are very quiet. Nothing like the original USB issue.

I tested the CMA600i, CMA400i and for good measure a Benchmark DAC3HGC, which is one of best engineered and most reliable products I know of. The interesting thing is that, via USB at least, they all click between tracks with Spotify, if Windows 10 is set to anything other than 44.1kHz. In exactly the same way and at the same very slight level. I also tried all three with Tidal and JRiver, which resulted in no clicks at all, regardless of system settings. I was expecting to hear clicks between DSD and PCM files in JRiver with the CMA600i as I've heard this before, however none were evident. So, it would appear that was addressed - I'd be interested if someone else could confirm. Perhaps it was changing settings in JRiver.

My test unit is serial number 10300500669. Also revision v6.F3, which is the latest. V6.C5 is the older one, I think perhaps someone shared the wrong info in a previous post...

I think in summary, it seems to depend on the source/player. Certainly Spotify has nothing like the options of JRiver in terms of settings and even Tidal allows you to select the output device directly, by passing Windows settings. As far as I can tell that is the problem here. If you use Spotify then Windows needs to be set to 44.1. I could test some other DACs but I'm pretty sure they'll all have the same problem. It seems something to do with the way Spotify/Windows 10 handles the audio if you up sample.

If anyone else is experiencing something different please let us know.

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2018 at 9:35 AM Post #314 of 553
I've carried out some test, hopefully this will help...

Isn't 48Khz the default windows setting until you tell it otherwise? Once changed it will remember the last setting.

I can't reproduce any pops in Spotify with the sample rate set in Windows to 44.1/16 or 44.1/24. Also using Windows 10. That seems to be the best setting to use that service. Other sample rates cause very slight clicks at the begin of tracks but they are very quiet. Nothing like the original USB issue.

I tested the CMA600i, CMA400i and for good measure a Benchmark DAC3HGC, which is one of best engineered and most reliable products I know of. The interesting thing is that, via USB at least, they all click between tracks with Spotify, if Windows 10 is set to anything other than 44.1kHz. In exactly the same way and at the same very slight level. I also tried all three with Tidal and JRiver, which resulted in no clicks at all, regardless of system settings. I was expecting to hear clicks between DSD and PCM files in JRiver with the CMA600i as I've heard this before, however non were evident. So, it would appear that was addressed - I'd be interested if someone else could confirm. Perhaps it was changing settings in JRiver.

My test unit is serial number 10300500669. Also revision v6.F3, which is the latest. V6.C5 is the older one, I think perhaps someone shared the wrong info in a previous post...

I think in summary, it seems to depend on the source/player. Certainly Spotify has nothing like the options of JRiver in terms of settings and even Tidal allows you to select the output device directly, by passing Windows settings. As far as I can tell that is the problem here. If you use Spotify then Windows needs to be set to 44.1. I could test some other DACs but I'm pretty sure they'll all have the same problem. It seems something to do with the way Spotify/Windows 10 handles the audio if you up sample.

If anyone else is experiencing something different please let us know.

Thanks for testing that for me and comfirming results, I later edited my post to reflect that it wasn't only the 600i popping between track switching.

I do have an issue with vlc media player and Youtube, basically pcm audio, when playing music or streaming videos. After three seconds of pressing stop or pause, theres a destinct "pop". Its very apparent with my Hd800S cans, and is pretty loud if the volume pot is above 9pm.

I have tried all sampling/bit rates in windows 10, no difference.

A/B testing with a musical fidelity m1a dac/amp and a chord mojo both via usb i can't seem to reproduce it on either of those.

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2018 at 9:47 AM Post #315 of 553
Thanks for testing that for me and comfirming results, I later edited my post to reflect that it wasn't only the 600i popping between track switching.

I do have an issue with vlc media player and Youtube, basically pcm audio, when playing music or streaming videos. After three seconds of pressing stop or pause, theres a destinct "pop". Its very apparent with my Hd800S cans, and is pretty loud if the volume pot is above 9pm.

I have tried all sampling/bit rates in windows 10, no difference.

A/B testing with a musical fidelity m1a dac/amp and a chord mojo both via usb i can't seem to reproduce it on either of those.

I've tried to replicate the Youtube issue (don't have VLC installed) but I can't get mine to do it. Sorry... Maybe someone else can try.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back