Questyle CMA600i first impressions thread
Feb 4, 2018 at 10:33 PM Post #271 of 553
CMA600i is a fantastic unit on its own but I have to say it benefits from an upgraded dac. I paired it with the dac section from my Gustard A20H (dual AKM AK4497 chips) and the sound was better all around. Anyone else had good experiences pairing the CMA’s awesome current headphone amp with a different dac?

I have my modified Musical Paradise MP-D1 tube dac going into the 600i. It is a brilliant Hybrid combo with the right tubes. The neutrality of the 600i really lets the sound of the MP-D1's tubes shine. I absolutely think this is endgame with my Audeze LCD-3s.

Feb 12, 2018 at 5:54 PM Post #272 of 553
I have my modified Musical Paradise MP-D1 tube dac going into the 600i. It is a brilliant Hybrid combo with the right tubes. The neutrality of the 600i really lets the sound of the MP-D1's tubes shine. I absolutely think this is endgame with my Audeze LCD-3s.

what tubes did you use? which has been good pairing so far?

would you say there is difference between using tube dac vs.tube amp following the 600i?

Last edited:
Feb 13, 2018 at 7:25 PM Post #273 of 553
what tubes did you use? which has been good pairing so far?

would you say there is difference between using tube dac vs.tube amp following the 600i?

I would stay away from any 5670, the tube that it's socketed for. Instead I use a converter and have a few 6922/ECC88 types that sound amazing.

1. Gold Lion ECC88
2. Jan PhilipsECG 6922
3. Siemens ECC88
4. Reflector 6H23-EB
5. Mullard RTC E188CC

The top two being the warmest. I could see someone prefering the Siemens for its crystal clear top end. Depends on taste. Thats what's so magical about this combination. The amp doesn't color the sound at all, you just get your DACs tubes masterfully amplified.

The problem that I have run into is that, for the LCD3, tube amps just do not provide the current that they need. The sound stage, imaging and clarity will suffer. A powerful proper solid state will provide this.... BUT I LOVE TUBE SOUND...That's where the Tube DAC comes in. LCD3s at their best.

Cheers

Feb 15, 2018 at 7:51 PM Post #274 of 553
Finally got around to looking up this dac and wow! It looks awesome and has really sparked my curiosity. Only problem is I just got a new dac so it’ll be a while before I can justify the purchase, but I have something to aspire to now. Thanks for the tip!

Feb 21, 2018 at 3:05 AM Post #277 of 553
I can verify that the Chord Mojo going into the 600i is also an amazing combo. Almost on par with my MP-D1. I can only imagine the Chord Hugo 2 or Qutest sounds even more superior.

Given that, a Chord Hugo 2 on DAC duties with a CMA800R on amp duties should be pretty impressive... :)

Feb 23, 2018 at 8:10 PM Post #279 of 553
how does it compare to cma600i's built-in dac??

The 600i dac doesn't even come close. The Mojo is more dynamic, airy, handles treble much more precisely without being rolled off or bright, soundstage has a depth to it. Tonally it is a bit warmer but sounds more "correct" to the recordings with my LCD-3. What strikes me about the AMP section of the 600i is that it very much seems like a "wire with gain". Every source I put into it sounds so distinct from one another, much more so than any other amp that I've owned. used, or demo'd.

Last edited:
Mar 3, 2018 at 3:28 PM Post #280 of 553
I would stay away from any 5670, the tube that it's socketed for. Instead I use a converter and have a few 6922/ECC88 types that sound amazing.

1. Gold Lion ECC88
2. Jan PhilipsECG 6922
3. Siemens ECC88
4. Reflector 6H23-EB
5. Mullard RTC E188CC

The top two being the warmest. I could see someone prefering the Siemens for its crystal clear top end. Depends on taste. Thats what's so magical about this combination. The amp doesn't color the sound at all, you just get your DACs tubes masterfully amplified.

The problem that I have run into is that, for the LCD3, tube amps just do not provide the current that they need. The sound stage, imaging and clarity will suffer. A powerful proper solid state will provide this.... BUT I LOVE TUBE SOUND...That's where the Tube DAC comes in. LCD3s at their best.

Cheers

I guess using another DAC would make the "poping" issue moot... But it would make the benefit of the 600i as an all-in-one moot also. Still would like to try this amp out though, have had great luck in the past using tube DACs with SS gear. Might be a winner.

Mar 4, 2018 at 8:52 AM Post #281 of 553
Hello,

any news how to solve the problem of pops / clicks with a USB input on CMA600i? I am pretty disappointed with the Questyle customer service. I have contacted them and they sent me to my local distributor which says he has not received any responses from Questyle for weeks about this issue. Another thing is a problem with the potentiometer knob which gets loose over time... Its a shame, because this gear really sounds good, and I also have its little brother, the CMA400i which seems to be better designed (no problems at all).

Mar 4, 2018 at 4:14 PM Post #282 of 553
any news how to solve the problem of pops ..

From reading here, the UK, Australian and USA distributors have all successfully dealt with the problem - perhaps you ask your distributor to contact one of them. It only affects older models mainly shipped in late 2016 and in the first 450 or so units.

Mar 4, 2018 at 5:46 PM Post #283 of 553
All i did was order a new one. The newer serial number didnt have the issue.

The newer version still has usb disconnection issue, when i wake up computer from sleep, which was fixed using schiit wyrd.

How does cma400i compare to cma600i in terms of sound quality, are they about the same?

Mar 4, 2018 at 5:51 PM Post #284 of 553
All i did was order a new one. The newer serial number didnt have the issue.

The newer version still has usb disconnection issue, when i wake up computer from sleep, which was fixed using schiit wyrd.

How does cma400i compare to cma600i in terms of sound quality, are they about the same?
I've had both and they are extremely similar in sound. The only thing the cma400i lacks is power on the balanced 4 pin xlr output for headphones in the 300 ohm range, but I'm the type who listens to their music loud.

I switched over to the cma400i for IEM use mainly

Users who are viewing this thread

Back