Questyle CMA600i first impressions thread
Jan 2, 2018 at 7:19 PM Post #241 of 553
I'm loving the CMA600i, but I have a couple of issues I would like to be addressed by other owners: when music playback is off for about roughly 15-17 seconds, I'll hear a subtle pop and hear it pop twice quickly before I initiate a track. Is this the same thing as the popping issue people referenced a few pages before? Should I be worried or is this considered normal? Haven't been an audiophile too long. The serial number for my unit is at the XXXX420-430 mark (can't remember exactly), which is before the XXXX500 mark where units were described in this thread as having the issue resolved.

Also, using the ifi iEMatch and my IE800 connected to the CMA600i, when I turn the volume knob more than halfway, at around the 3 o'clock spot, the music skips/ cuts out. Is this clipping? The iFi iEMatch makes me turn the volume knob higher to achieve the same listening volumes I like if I weren't using it. This is listening to music via the USB connection. Did I damage my unit? Does anyone else experience this when they use the iFi iEMatch?

Sorry about the barrage of questions, kind of getting nervous if my unit is faulty or not. It was purchased off of Amazon as a returned unit from an authorized dealer who stated it was free of faults in the listing, but I'm having doubts.

EDIT: Wanted to state that the popping issue is also present with my HD800 via the balanced 4 pin XLR output.
Satcher - Hi

Your serial number is in the potential trouble zone but before knowing that is your issue we need to understand more about your system. Specifically :
1. What are you playing music from when you listen to your HD800? (ie mac, pc, music server, dap)
2. Are you using any DSD files? ( change to dsd can sometimes trigger a noise)
3. Do you have the same issue initiating a track if you are using Tidal, Spotify or some external streaming source ?
4. What power filtering or other measures are you using ?
I had the popping issues but they were worse than you describe so a bit more sleuthing is required with your set up to isolate any likely issues.

Re your ifi ematch - this product normally reduces the amplifier output heaps - up to 24 dB I have read, by using resistors etc. If the end result is your volume dial is at 3 pm that is weird as most of us are listening below 12 noon even with difficult to drive headphones - I suspect using it this way is not ideal and 3 pm is not a sensible outcome - what happens if you use the ie800 without the ematch (just using a simple plug adapter)?

Vincent

Jan 2, 2018 at 7:29 PM Post #242 of 553
I'm loving the CMA600i, but I have a couple of issues I would like to be addressed by other owners: when music playback is off for about roughly 15-17 seconds, I'll hear a subtle pop and hear it pop twice quickly before I initiate a track. Is this the same thing as the popping issue people referenced a few pages before? Should I be worried or is this considered normal? Haven't been an audiophile too long. The serial number for my unit is at the XXXX420-430 mark (can't remember exactly), which is before the XXXX500 mark where units were described in this thread as having the issue resolved.

Also, using the ifi iEMatch and my IE800 connected to the CMA600i, when I turn the volume knob more than halfway, at around the 3 o'clock spot, the music skips/ cuts out. Is this clipping? The iFi iEMatch makes me turn the volume knob higher to achieve the same listening volumes I like if I weren't using it. This is listening to music via the USB connection. Did I damage my unit? Does anyone else experience this when they use the iFi iEMatch?

Sorry about the barrage of questions, kind of getting nervous if my unit is faulty or not. It was purchased off of Amazon as a returned unit from an authorized dealer who stated it was free of faults in the listing, but I'm having doubts.

EDIT: Wanted to state that the popping issue is also present with my HD800 via the balanced 4 pin XLR output.
I have the exact same issue and I really don't wanna have to send it in for repair so I've kinda decided to live with the annoyance lol

Jan 15, 2018 at 5:08 AM Post #243 of 553
I just recently purchased my CMA600i and noticed it still has the popping switching between DSD and PCM. Would I have to contact my local distributor to have this fixed? I'm in Australia. Also as for my impressions I'm coming from a Burson Conductor V2+ (which had arguably worse quirks i wasnt willing to live with hence why I bought the 600i). Sonic impressions this amp seems so much faster and more impactful for lack of a better word. Everything seems to immediate and crystal clear, the Burson sounded a bit muddy and slow in comparison. I've never seen such a difference between solid state gear. The Bursons more relaxed presentation will appeal to a lot of people but I feel I'm hearing the amp and not the music with the Burson. Same can't be said about the 600i.

Jan 16, 2018 at 4:21 PM Post #244 of 553
I just recently purchased my CMA600i and noticed it still has the popping switching between DSD and PCM. Would I have to contact my local distributor to have this fixed? I'm in Australia.

Hi if you are only experiencing this when changing from DSD to PCM and not as a general issue then it may not be the 600i at all. Some players/software struggle with this change.

I created a playlist yesterday with 2 dsd tracks and 2 non dsd and there were no noises when a song ended and automatically transitioned to the next track with a rate change - so from pcm to dsd was ok and from dsd to pcm was ok. Who you hear the noise are you transitioning within a playlist or just if you intervene and change tracks ?

My quick test was using DSD single rate 64fs (Duke Ellington - Take the A Train download purchased from Acoustic Sounds) - I have not tried it yet with higher rates - what rate DSD were you using ?

I am in Sydney and if you pm me your set up I might be able to analyse your issue further.

Vincent

Jan 17, 2018 at 1:02 AM Post #245 of 553
I've noticed that i get clicks and pops during playback using USB. Switched to optical no such issue. I contacted my local distributor. They recognise the issue and have a chip that they need to replace. I'll follow up with them tomorrow see what lead times are and see when I can send the unit out. I'm pretty disappointed that in 2018 there are units floating around that still have this issue.

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2018 at 12:16 PM Post #248 of 553
I've noticed that i get clicks and pops during playback using USB. Switched to optical no such issue. I contacted my local distributor. They recognise the issue and have a chip that they need to replace. I'll follow up with them tomorrow see what lead times are and see when I can send the unit out. I'm pretty disappointed that in 2018 there are units floating around that still have this issue.
Sorry that you got a unit that still had the issue. I'm glad that your dealer is able to take care of it for you. Also glad that you like the sound more then your previous amp. I also agree that you are hearing the headphone and the music more then the amp/dac. It is a very neutral sound so it lets the headphone do the talking.

Jan 17, 2018 at 5:53 PM Post #249 of 553
Update on the situation dropping the unit off at the local distributor Monday morning to have the firmware chip replaced. Hopefully this fixes the problem. For now i'm thoroughly enjoying the unit via the optical input and to my ears I couldn't tell the difference between the USB and Optical switching between them. Guess its a very good implementation as on a lot of gear i've personally used optical and coax seems to be an afterthought.

Jan 22, 2018 at 9:10 PM Post #250 of 553
Dropped the unit off yesterday and got it back today with the update applied. USB seems to be behaving itself, been using it for the last hour or so and haven't heard a click or pop during playback (knock on wood) Australia's Questyle distributor (Audio Dynamics) Handled the situation very well.

Jan 24, 2018 at 2:59 AM Post #252 of 553
Unit is functioning well, no clicks anymore during playback via usb. Still a bit of noise switching from DSD to PCM and vice versa but I don't really care as DSD is largely irrelevant to me. (as it should be to you also)

Jan 24, 2018 at 9:40 AM Post #254 of 553
I just recently purchased my CMA600i and noticed it still has the popping switching between DSD and PCM. Would I have to contact my local distributor to have this fixed? I'm in Australia. Also as for my impressions I'm coming from a Burson Conductor V2+ (which had arguably worse quirks i wasnt willing to live with hence why I bought the 600i). Sonic impressions this amp seems so much faster and more impactful for lack of a better word. Everything seems to immediate and crystal clear, the Burson sounded a bit muddy and slow in comparison. I've never seen such a difference between solid state gear. The Bursons more relaxed presentation will appeal to a lot of people but I feel I'm hearing the amp and not the music with the Burson. Same can't be said about the 600i.
apologies for taking this thread off-topic but i intend to compare the burson conductor v2+ and the moon neo 230had having already ruled the cma600i out. do you mind sharing the "quirks" that you experienced with the burson via pm?

Jan 24, 2018 at 11:45 AM Post #255 of 553
Honestly in my experience you'll find some compromise in most DAC/amp combo units unless you spend really big bucks. The only dac/amp combo I've been happy with is the benchmark dac1 I picked up second hand for a steal. I plan on using that as my DAC and pairing it with a nice balanced amp (either tube or solid state something like a gsx mk ii or a wa22) later down the line and eventually selling the cma600i. Great unit but as I said I ended up with an early revision and despite how well it performs it's been nothing but a headache.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back