Questyle CMA600i first impressions thread
Sep 13, 2019 at 7:07 PM Post #513 of 553
Anyone who has any idea how this sounds on the Sennheiser HD 800 S? And how this amp/dac compares to Marantz HD-DAC1? I can get one for 500 euro's which seems like a very good deal.
It sounded amazing with its closed stable-mate (the HD820).

Sep 13, 2019 at 11:32 PM Post #515 of 553
visited the questyle audio website the other week and noticed that the cma600i is no longer there. i assume that it has been superseded by the cma twelve.

Sep 18, 2019 at 9:31 PM Post #517 of 553
Is there a benefit to feeding the CMA600i via optical vs USB? How would one do this from a laptop?

Sep 19, 2019 at 12:10 AM Post #518 of 553
Is there a benefit to feeding the CMA600i via optical vs USB? How would one do this from a laptop?
The biggest benefit - for me - is that my CMA600i appears to be one of the units that's affected by an audible "CLICK" when tracks start over USB. This doesn't seem to be a problem via optical, I've had a Chromecast Audio streaming into mine directly via the Optical-out.

Sep 19, 2019 at 12:38 AM Post #519 of 553
The biggest benefit - for me - is that my CMA600i appears to be one of the units that's affected by an audible "CLICK" when tracks start over USB. This doesn't seem to be a problem via optical, I've had a Chromecast Audio streaming into mine directly via the Optical-out.
I guess we both have the older models because I have that too. I now use Chord Mojo as the DAC and bypass the CMA600i's DAC section, so the USB click/pop is a thing of the past.

I am hoping to upgrade to a Hugo 2 DAC soon and am wondering if I will lose the benefit of balanced XLR output. I can confirm that LCD-X sounds better from the CMA600i when used as amp/DAC via XLR compared to SE -- that might be the result of more power. Does anyone know if using an external DAC like the Hugo 2 would compromise that quality, since Hugo2 doesn't have balanced output? Someone posed a similar question earlier but I couldn't fully understand the answer. Thanks for your help guys

Sep 19, 2019 at 12:56 AM Post #520 of 553
I guess we both have the older models because I have that too. I now use Chord Mojo as the DAC and bypass the CMA600i's DAC section, so the USB click/pop is a thing of the past.

I am hoping to upgrade to a Hugo 2 DAC soon and am wondering if I will lose the benefit of balanced XLR output. I can confirm that LCD-X sounds better from the CMA600i when used as amp/DAC via XLR compared to SE -- that might be the result of more power. Does anyone know if using an external DAC like the Hugo 2 would compromise that quality, since Hugo2 doesn't have balanced output? Someone posed a similar question earlier but I couldn't fully understand the answer. Thanks for your help guys
I don't think so. It's difficult to A/B test the actual sonic difference between XLR and SE without proper volume matching - the slightest fraction of a dB louder, can often be perceived as 'better'. You ought to be fine with the Hugo and the LCD-X, they're pretty efficient.

Sep 19, 2019 at 10:08 AM Post #521 of 553

Hey, do you find the Mojo to have a better DAC than the one is the CMA600i?

Sep 19, 2019 at 7:18 PM Post #522 of 553
Sep 19, 2019 at 8:17 PM Post #523 of 553
I think the mojo definitely has a better DAC. It just sounds a little bit more defined. The edges are sharper, if that makes any sense. It's a little like when you digitally edit a photo by increasing its sharpness.

Sep 19, 2019 at 9:59 PM Post #524 of 553
I think the mojo definitely has a better DAC. It just sounds a little bit more defined. The edges are sharper, if that makes any sense. It's a little like when you digitally edit a photo by increasing its sharpness.
Well put, I know exactly what you mean! :)

Sep 20, 2019 at 11:39 AM Post #525 of 553
Has anyone had a chance to try the new CMA Twelve unit? Thinking about renting it from TTVJ for $200 (had no idea that service was available until today) to see how it compares.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back