Questyle CMA600i first impressions thread
Jul 3, 2018 at 3:15 AM Post #391 of 553
If I use the RCA input on the 600i from my 2Qute, the signal still comes through the amp as balanced, if I understand you right.

Yes, you still get the benefit of the balanced amplifier/hp output.

Questyle advertises the 600i as fully balanced, but according to your explanation it is true only for the amp section. Do you mean by this when using the 600i's DAC, it is not 'that balanced' anymore?

They say this in regard to the amplifier design, with is indeed 'fully' balanced where other products are only offering a balanced connection on the hp out. Let's say you connect a digital source and connect a power amp, active speakers etc, to the audio outs. Then you would be using the DAC and the separate preamp stage, neither of which is a balanced design. It doesn't matter if you connect digitally or analogue from your 2Qute, you'll only benefit from the balanced element when listing to headphones.

So is it not necessary to use a balanced DAC with a balanced amp if we want full balanced sound? Or in this case it is ''balanced enough" to enjoy the clarity that a good balanced implementation brings?

What would be the benefit of using a balanced DAC with a balanced amp Vs SE DAC to balanced amp? Does it really have practical advantages only (long distance as you mentioned) and not much affect on sq?

How long is a piece of string? :wink: I have here the Bricasti M12 DAC, which is a dual mono, fully balanced design. Connect that to 2x Questyle CMA800R Golden mono block hp amps and voila! It sound absolutely fantastic with a pair of Focal Utopia, levels of detail which are quite breath taking at times. Does that mean a CMA600i with a pair of Focal Clears is not hugely enjoyable by comparison? No, not at all. In fact listening on a pair of Meze 99 Classics in the right mood, with the right type music, sometimes, beats a Utopia for me personally. The value of these things is very individual. Certainly it can be demonstrated that balanced designs help remove artifacts and distortion, which is an ultimate design goal for many audio product (apart from tubes perhaps :L3000:). Only the individual can decide if the value of incremental improvements in SQ justifies the cost.

Jul 3, 2018 at 3:23 AM Post #392 of 553
Yes, you still get the benefit of the balanced amplifier/hp output.

They say this in regard to the amplifier design, with is indeed 'fully' balanced where other products are only offering a balanced connection on the hp out. Let's say you connect a digital source and connect a power amp, active speakers etc, to the audio outs. Then you would be using the DAC and the separate preamp stage, neither of which is a balanced design. It doesn't matter if you connect digitally or analogue from your 2Qute, you'll only benefit from the balanced element when listing to headphones.

How long is a piece of string? :wink: I have here the Bricasti M12 DAC, which is a dual mono, fully balanced design. Connect that to 2x Questyle CMA800R Golden mono block hp amps and voila! It sound absolutely fantastic with a pair of Focal Utopia, levels of detail which are quite breath taking at times. Does that mean a CMA600i with a pair of Focal Clears is not hugely enjoyable by comparison? No, not at all. In fact listening on a pair of Meze 99 Classics in the right mood, with the right type music, sometimes, beats a Utopia for me personally. The value of these things is very individual. Certainly it can be demonstrated that balanced designs help remove artifacts and distortion, which is an ultimate design goal for many audio product (apart from tubes perhaps :L3000:). Only the individual can decide if the value of incremental improvements in SQ justifies the cost.
Thank you! That Bricasti + 2x800R must sound quite good! :)

Jul 13, 2018 at 12:19 PM Post #393 of 553
Hey guys can i get an honest opinion from some of you. I'm about to pull the trigger today or tomorrow latest on an Questyle CMA 600i OR an Oppo HA-1 but i can't decide which will be better for me. it will be used to drive an HD800s and an LCD-3. Thoughts on which i should pick? I'm so stuck between these two!

Jul 13, 2018 at 1:55 PM Post #397 of 553
Forgot to mention that you can use the CMA600i as amp only and just change dacs according to your preferences, so yea the CMA600i.
The only thing i'm scared about right now is the USB popping/clicking noise issue. I was just reading through this thread and it seems that many people's units were plagued by this issue. The serial number of the unit i'm looking to buy is 10300500306, i don't know if that means it's an earlier unit or not. Honestly it's annoying that this issue exists because i want to buy this but now i'm scared it will have the problem when i receive it.
cleardot.gif

Jul 13, 2018 at 2:29 PM Post #398 of 553
The only thing i'm scared about right now is the USB popping/clicking noise issue. I was just reading through this thread and it seems that many people's units were plagued by this issue. The serial number of the unit i'm looking to buy is 10300500306, i don't know if that means it's an earlier unit or not. Honestly it's annoying that this issue exists because i want to buy this but now i'm scared it will have the problem when i receive it.
cleardot.gif

I believe the issue some have claimed to have experienced is nonexistent after SN ending in 500.

Jul 13, 2018 at 3:38 PM Post #400 of 553
seeing as the one i want to purchase ends in 306, that's not good news :frowning2: does anyone know if it was only some units affected below S/N 500 or all units?

I'm not sure, but I think it was only some units? Someone else will have to chime in here to clarify.

Jul 13, 2018 at 4:02 PM Post #401 of 553
I'm not sure, but I think it was only some units? Someone else will have to chime in here to clarify.
I read as much as I could about this issue before I bought my CMA600i. According to what I read only units under xxx500 serial number were affected. Someone however had a unit with xxx45x and didn't have the problem. I don't think all units under xxx500 are affected as only a few cases popped up. If 500 customers had the issue, that would have been louder.

I also think it is important to mention, that the popping sound did not occur when the music was playing even with the 'problematic' units. There was a pop sound after a couple of seconds you paused playing. (If anyone was wondering my 600i is well above xxx500.)

Edit: Also worth mentioning that the whole problem can be eliminated by using an external DAC even with the 'bad' units.

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2018 at 4:54 PM Post #402 of 553
I read as much as I could about this issue before I bought my CMA600i. According to what I read only units under xxx500 serial number were affected. Someone however had a unit with xxx45x and didn't have the problem. I don't think all units under xxx500 are affected as only a few cases popped up. If 500 customers had the issue, that would have been louder.

I also think it is important to mention, that the popping sound did not occur when the music was playing even with the 'problematic' units. There was a pop sound after a couple of seconds you paused playing. (If anyone was wondering my 600i is well above xxx500.)

Edit: Also worth mentioning that the whole problem can be eliminated by using an external DAC even with the 'bad' units.
Thanks for the info. I'm starting to think it's just not worth the hassle. I think at this point i'm just gonna get the Oppo HA-1. This is too much of a headache for me, if it were a later model i would get it but i don't want to deal with faulty products.

Jul 13, 2018 at 5:09 PM Post #403 of 553
Thanks for the info. I'm starting to think it's just not worth the hassle. I think at this point i'm just gonna get the Oppo HA-1. This is too much of a headache for me, if it were a later model i would get it but i don't want to deal with faulty products.

That is understandable. However, I just use the amp portion of the 600i and use an external DAC and love it. I think the DAC can be improved upon with an external separate one. It truly is a wonderful sounding amp.

Jul 13, 2018 at 5:19 PM Post #404 of 553
That is understandable. However, I just use the amp portion of the 600i and use an external DAC and love it. I think the DAC can be improved upon with an external separate one. It truly is a wonderful sounding amp.
I agree. The amp section of the 600i is really nice. Clean, clear but smooth. I also use an external DAC. IMO the 600i sounds nicer than the HA-1.

Jul 13, 2018 at 5:24 PM Post #405 of 553
I agree. The amp section of the 600i is really nice. Clean, clear but smooth. I also use an external DAC. IMO the 600i sounds nicer than the HA-1.
Even if that is the case and the 600i amp sounds nicer then the HA-1 amp, it sounds like the opposite is true for the dac with the HA-1 dac sounding nicer then the 600i dac. An external dac is not an option for me right now i need an all in one unit. Maybe if i had found a later made edition oh well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back