Questyle CMA18 Portable DAC with Headphone Amplifier
Dec 5, 2023 at 4:03 AM Post #76 of 392
Hey everyone,

I just confirmed the international price has been set at $699 USD. I know you all are still very eager for more details, I'll post them as soon as the English specs and copy are all set! Coming soon....

Questyle Audio Engineering Stay updated on Questyle Audio Engineering at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/questyleaudioeng @Questyle_Technology https://www.questyle.com info@questyle.com
Dec 6, 2023 at 1:14 AM Post #77 of 392
For more specifications
IMG_9599.jpeg

Dec 10, 2023 at 9:58 AM Post #78 of 392
So it's out here in China. I've had one for a few days, been burning it in and getting used to it over the weekend:
cma18p.jpg

I've owned the M12 (twice) and M15 previously, although unfortunately don't have either anymore for direct comparisons.

To start I should probably say that although I've never heard Questyle's desktop products or DAPs, from the M12 and M15 my impression is that their house sound is kind of 'studio' with a touch of added soul or emotion. Generally accurate and on-point, but not analytical or boring. Also to my ears what I hear from their current amplification is very good extension in both the bass and treble, and an interesting sense of dynamics - not just in terms of big swings of volume, but the relative volume of each instrument just comes across as more fluid and continuous, somehow, than many other sources.

So I'm hearing all those same traits with CMA18p. The bass is not only deep but nuanced too. In one test track I use a lot (Rivers of Nihil 'Terrestria III' anyone?) you can hear little nuances like the wavering tail end to the synth bass notes, very tasty indeed. At the other end of the spectrum the treble is detailed but not harsh.

I remember the M15 as having a more left-right presentation than the CMA18p - the new model feels like it has a more rounded soundstage with added dimensionality.

The M12 and M15 both had ESS DAC chips, so the CMA18p is the first Questyle device I've heard with an AKM chip. I feel in general that too much is made of the DAC chip in this hobby - as a lot can change with implementation - but it seems that most people do hear some sonic differences between manufacturers. I'd usually associate AKM's "Velvet sound" as having a little warmth in the bass and a sound that's clear without being harsh - not necessarily 'smooth' but perhaps heading in that direction depending on tuning choices by the engineers.

With the CMA18p I feel those traits are present. There is perhaps a little extra body to the bass, but more in the sense of a touch more sustain and longer decay, lending the bass registers more presence in the mix, rather than there being more bass quantity-wise per se. The leading edge of bass notes is maybe rounded off just a touch too - in a good way, in the sense that I can put on something with flat-out double bass drumming or similar and the speed is there, but with a natural sense of attack that never gets too much. I felt the same way with the M15 too. In contrast, whenever I've heard a THX-based source I've often found that they can do speed and accuracy but passages like these can get fatiguing, as the way they render rapid-fire staccato on-off notes gets to a bit too much after a while.

All the above impressions are with the single-ended output by the way. The only headphones I have at hand are the B&W P7s (high sensitivity, low impedance dynamics, wired for single-ended use only). I'm somewhere in the 75% volume range on low gain.

Function-wise one thing I've discovered - it's mentioned in the manual too (see below) - is that you can't charge and play at the same time! I left it running on Friday night connected to my computer to clock up some burn in overnight, only to find it was flat in the morning - then looked up the instructions and realized it doesn't charge while playing. I think this will be the biggest practical issue in long-term use. So far I'm not sure if it has an auto-off feature either - just yesterday I found it out of battery after being interrupted, unplugging my phone, and leaving it sitting on the desk while I dealt with something else. Seems like you need to remember to switch it off after use, and also plug it in to recharge so it's ready to go next time.

If there's anything that might be weird function-wise it would be the volume display - the percentage LEDs indicate battery light when charging, but volume level during playback (and I think you can tap power to get them to show the battery level). The LEDs show 25% jumps in volume, and then within each 'band' there's 8 steps before the next LED goes on/off, giving 32 steps in volume in total. I find the jumps between are a bit big and I'm juggling between the volume slider on my phone and the CMA18p volume steps to dial in the right volume.

So the volume indication is a bit of an unusual decision, and it seems like it would be more intuitive to just have different indicators for volume and battery level, but I suppose that would add more battery drain with more LEDs. Still, a natural competitor would be the Mojo1/2, and that has it's own design quirks with a steeper learning curve than CMA18p so it's not that bad (and I say that as a Mojo-lover too!).

In regular use the CMA18p does get a little warm, but nothing like Mojo levels of heat.

All in all so far I feel like it successfully bridges the gap between dongle and desktop sound quality. I've only used the USB input so far, haven't tested the Bluetooth or analogue inputs. I hope that either Questyle or a third party like Dignis make a case for it in the future - it seems too nice to just throw in my pocket on the go.
ports.jpgvolume.jpg

Edited for typos.

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2023 at 11:29 AM Post #79 of 392
So it's out here in China. I've had one for a few days, been burning it in and getting used to it over the weekend:
cma18p.jpg

I've owned the M12 (twice) and M15 previously, although unfortunately don't have either anymore for direct comparisons.

To start I should probably say that although I've never heard Questyle's desktop products or DAPs, from the M12 and M15 my impression is that their house sound is kind of 'studio' with a touch of added soul or emotion. Generally accurate and on-point, but not analytical or boring. Also to my ears what I hear from their current amplification is very good extension in both the bass and treble, and an interesting sense of dynamics - not just in terms of big swings of volume, but the relative volume of each instrument just comes across as more fluid and continuous, somehow, than many other sources.

So I'm hearing all those same traits with CMA18p. The bass is not only deep but nuanced too. In one test track I use a lot (Rivers of Nihil 'Terrestria III' anyone?) you can hear little nuances like the wavering tail end to the synth bass notes, very tasty indeed. At the other end of the spectrum the treble is detailed but not harsh.

I remember the M15 as having a more left-right presentation than the CMA18p - the new model feels like it has a more rounded soundstage with added dimensionality.

The M12 and M15 both had ESS DAC chips, so the CMA18p is the first Questyle device I've heard with an AKM chip. I feel in general that too much is made of the DAC chip in this hobby - as a lot can change with implementation - but it seems that most people do hear some sonic differences between manufacturers. I'd usually associate AKM's "Velvet sound" as having a little warmth in the bass and a sound that's clear without being harsh - not necessarily 'smooth' but perhaps heading in that direction depending on tuning choices by the engineers.

With the CMA18p I feel those traits are present. There is perhaps a little extra body to the bass, but more in the sense of a touch more sustain and longer decay, lending the bass registers more presence in the mix, rather than there being more bass quantity-wise per se. The leading edge of bass notes is maybe rounded off just a touch too - in a good way, in the sense that I can put on something with flat-out double bass drumming or similar and the speed is there, but with a natural sense of attack that never gets too much. I felt the same way with the M15 too. In contrast, whenever I've heard a THX-based source I've often found that they can do speed and accuracy but passages like these can get fatiguing, as the way they render rapid-fire staccato on-off notes gets to a bit too much after a while.

All the above impressions are with the single-ended output by the way. The only headphones I have at hand are the B&W P7s (high sensitivity, low impedance dynamics, wired for single-ended use only). I'm somewhere in the 75% volume range on low gain.

Function-wise one thing I've discovered - it's mentioned in the manual too (see below) - is that you can't charge and play at the same time! I left it running on Friday night connected to my computer to clock up some burn in overnight, only to find it was flat in the morning - then looked up the instruction and realized it doesn't charge while playing. I think this will be the biggest practical issue in long-term use. So far I'm not sure if it has an auto-off feature either - just yesterday I found it out of battery after being interrupted, unplugging my phone, and leaving it sitting on the desk while I dealt with something else. Seems like you need to remember to switch it off after use, and also plug it in to recharge so it's ready to go next time.

If there's anything that might be weird function-wise it would be the volume display - the percentage LEDs indicate battery light when charging, but volume level during playback (and I think you can tap power to get them to show the battery level). The LEDs show 25% jumps in volume, and then within each 'band' there's 8 steps before the next LED goes on/off, giving 32 steps in volume in total. I find the jumps between are a bit big and I'm juggling between the volume slider on my phone and the CMA18p volume steps to dial in the right volume.

So the volume indication is a bit of an unusual decision, and it seems like it would be more intuitive to just have different indicators for volume and battery level, but I suppose that would add more battery drain with more LEDs. Still, a natural competitor would be the Mojo1/2, and that has it's own design quirks with a steeper learning curve than CMA18p so it's not that bad (and I say that as a Mojo-lover too!).

In regular use the CMA18p does get a little warm, but nothing like Mojo levels of heat.

All I all so far I feel like it successfully bridges the gap between dongle and desktop sound quality. I've only used the USB input so far, haven't tested the Bluetooth or analogue inputs. I hope that either Questyle or a third party like Dignis make a case for it in the future - it seems too nice to just through in my pocket on the go.
ports.jpgvolume.jpg
Thanks for the detailed write-up! I was sold up until you started talking about its basic functionality. I get why some USB devices can't transfer data and charge at the same time, but I'm curious to see if it will charge and play through Bluetooth at the same time.

Dec 11, 2023 at 2:47 AM Post #80 of 392
For me no pass through charging is a major omission for a device of this type, hopefully @Questyle can address with a firmware update. Otherwise sounds very good.

Regards volume steps, I'd be using with Android and USB Audio Player Pro, so likely not an issue for my use case as it can take over volume control for the connected device.

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2023 at 3:18 AM Post #81 of 392
cma18p.jpg

Function-wise one thing I've discovered - it's mentioned in the manual too (see below) - is that you can't charge and play at the same time! I left it running on Friday night connected to my computer to clock up some burn in overnight, only to find it was flat in the morning - then looked up the instructions and realized it doesn't charge while playing. I think this will be the biggest practical issue in long-term use. So far I'm not sure if it has an auto-off feature either - just yesterday I found it out of battery after being interrupted, unplugging my phone, and leaving it sitting on the desk while I dealt with something else. Seems like you need to remember to switch it off after use, and also plug it in to recharge so it's ready to go next time.

All in all so far I feel like it successfully bridges the gap between dongle and desktop sound quality. I've only used the USB input so far, haven't tested the Bluetooth or analogue inputs. I hope that either Questyle or a third party like Dignis make a case for it in the future - it seems too nice to just throw in my pocket on the go.

Edited for typos.
Thanks for the impressions.
Can you give comparisons (on SQ alone) with other DAC/AMP or DAP that you have access to

TIA

Dec 11, 2023 at 5:18 AM Post #82 of 392
Thanks for the impressions.
Can you give comparisons (on SQ alone) with other DAC/AMP or DAP that you have access to

TIA
At the moment I have at hand the Mojopoly (original Mojo), Violectric Chronos and Aune Yuki.

I'm waiting to have a bit more time with the CMA18p before putting anything down, although unfortunately I probably won't get much listening done until later in the week. But of course I'll post some comparisons once I've had some time to compare each.

Another interesting comparison would actually be the Fiio Q15 or Q7, as they're both USB and Bluetooth DAC/amps too, but I don't have either.

Dec 11, 2023 at 5:23 PM Post #83 of 392
cma18p.jpg

ports.jpgvolume.jpg

Edited for typos.
Function-wise one thing I've discovered - it's mentioned in the manual too (see below) - is that you can't charge and play at the same time! = Deal breaker for me.

Dec 12, 2023 at 5:29 AM Post #84 of 392
Function-wise one thing I've discovered - it's mentioned in the manual too (see below) - is that you can't charge and play at the same time! = Deal breaker for me.
Yeah I think it’s the only real limitation I’ve come across so far.

Dec 12, 2023 at 8:24 AM Post #86 of 392
On the contrary this seems perfect for me. This can serve as a usb dac bypassing own battery, thus not degrading it. And use the battery only when it's necessary.

Dec 12, 2023 at 11:22 AM Post #87 of 392
On the contrary this seems perfect for me. This can serve as a usb dac bypassing own battery, thus not degrading it. And use the battery only when it's necessary.
Well, imo the way Fiio has implemented this similar concept in q7 q15 m15s is superior. You can actually toggle between battery charge mode and battery bypass mode, hence more control for the end-users. According to the description above, you would need to play something "constantly" to bypass the battery, which is kind of annoying. Furthermore, I hope questyle has finally addressed the reoccurring tick noise issue during playback.

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2023 at 1:19 PM Post #88 of 392
From what has been said I don't know if this is the behavior it exhibits.

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2023 at 2:05 AM Post #90 of 392
damn, you may just be right.
If it's literally always using battery without bypass mode and can't charge+play simultaneously then the unit is dead on arrival.

Yeah, if that is the case it puts a serious dent in my plans to pick it up if it cannot be addressed. Playback whilst charging and bypass charging would be the ideal, but the former is probably a requirement for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back