Questyle CMA Fifteen — International Review Tour
Mar 4, 2022 at 4:01 AM Post #76 of 93
Mar 31, 2022 at 1:14 AM Post #77 of 93
Thanks ... I saw in your signature that you had both so I was hoping you would reply!

So, I assume the CMA 15 would be a better match with the Solitaire P then. I'm still trying to address that upper midrange dip in the P and the Master 12's performance in the lows simply makes that dip more obvious. However, I can't easily give up the Master 12 since it sounds great on just about everything and I actually make use of the 5Ghz receiver when I use with the super hub.

Decisions, decisions ...

Yes....The CMA 15 sounds also much cleaner and and more precisely as the Master 12

NOMAX

PS.lol

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2022 at 9:18 AM Post #78 of 93
Apr 2, 2022 at 4:14 AM Post #79 of 93
When i compare this one...

B42FEBDF-6D87-4ACA-98E1-1995B987D312.jpeg

with the CMA 15.....its easy to hear how far ahead Questyle is with the Fifteen

NOMAX

PS.but i have to be fair......its other price tag

Last edited:
Apr 2, 2022 at 4:34 AM Post #81 of 93
Compare it with your Tracks that have high proportions with low frequency and above 90db 😉

NOMAX

PS.then you will be surpriced

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2022 at 11:38 PM Post #83 of 93
When i compare this one...

B42FEBDF-6D87-4ACA-98E1-1995B987D312.jpeg

with the CMA 15.....its easy to hear how far ahead Questyle is with the Fifteen

NOMAX

PS.but i have to be fair......its other price tag
I tried the K9 Pro ESS before getting the CMA Fifteen. They're in different leagues. The CMA Fifteen is more at the Chord TT2's level than anything else I've tried, at least with the DCA Stealth. The soundstage and low end punch of the CMA Fifteen are the standouts for me.

Apr 28, 2022 at 1:27 AM Post #84 of 93
Apr 28, 2022 at 3:23 AM Post #86 of 93
@WDitters

Dang, you're fast! Beat me to it 😉

@someyoungguy WDitters is correct, the base/stand is compatible for the CMA400i, CMA Twelve, and CMA Fifteen 😄

Correct me if I am wrong, but even the CMA 600i and CMA 800i would be compatible right?

Apr 28, 2022 at 2:45 PM Post #87 of 93
Correct me if I am wrong, but even the CMA 600i and CMA 800i would be compatible right?
Yes, you're totally right! Sorry, should have made it clear in my message that that wasn't an exhaustive list 😉 The base/stand will work with any of our "desktop" amps/DACs that bear the CMA name.

Questyle Audio Engineering Stay updated on Questyle Audio Engineering at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/questyleaudioeng @Questyle_Technology https://www.questyle.com info@questyle.com
Apr 29, 2022 at 10:50 AM Post #88 of 93
Comment moved to the European tour section..

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2022 at 1:54 PM Post #89 of 93
Last edited:
Aug 3, 2022 at 4:33 PM Post #90 of 93
Finally realized I posted my review in the PM thread and not here...whoops lol, here yah go!

So I realized that I posted my review in the PM thread MONTHS ago but not here...merde lol...here yah go everyone!! (this was written a while ago, hence the context and past tense)

Greetings everyone...after an involuntary hiatus, I'm doing something headphone-related...tonight's literally the first night in...nearly 2 months I've put on headphones (DCA Aeon 2c at the moment)...

I'm going to give you my summary notes first, then wax poetic afterwards...

• Source: Tidal FLAC/MQA via Roon w/DSP + upsampling to 768kHz, Mac Mini Roon Core v1.8
  • MacBook Pro (Intel 2020), Roon v1.8, USB-C > USB-A, iFi iSilencer+, USB-A > USB-C cable
  • DAC/amp: Questyle CMA Fifteen (USB-C input) > 4.4mm or 6.35mm output, standard bias, low gain
    • Literally doubled the dimensions and realism of the soundstage on DCA Aeon 2c (compared to Matrix mini-I Pro 3, which is no slouch at its price point).
    • Extremely transparent, detailed, and effortlessly organic
    • Brings incredible bass control and speed to the Meze 99 Noir, which I previously was not the biggest fan of with other pairings (iFi Diablo is alright, a touch sterile, Matrix mini-I Pro 3 was pretty good with some of the DAC filters, but CMA Fifteen is audibly better
    • Fifteen + 99 Noir is about as good as the Noir can get IMO, awesome speed and tonality
    • Roon Crossfeed with Jan Meier’s settings is absolutely ****ing awesome and fun w/99 Noir
    • Beyerdynamic DT770 80-ohm sound flat, lifeless, garbage…only good for monitoring/mixing, even with Roon’s crossfeed
    • Apos Caspian pairs exceptionally well, big stage, good imaging, good tonality, speed is fairly good (limited by the headphone’s driver), nice sub bass rumble, detailed but gentle treble
    • Aeon 2 c: extremely crisp and hyper detailed/extreme separation with good stage, but doesn’t have the low-end gravity and slam of a dynamic like the Caspian while being technically superior, huge, deep stage, intense and rich layering, no harshness or distortion
    • Pairs well with pretty much everything in my collection
    • Ether Flow 1.1 is marvelously balanced and lively
    • Roon DSP Settings: Headroom Management -6dB, upsampling to 768kHz PCM for everything except for DSD (native), precise minimum phase filter
    • Digital input does not automatically slave to the input that is providing signal (e.g., starting a USB-input signal while the DAC input is on optical)
    • HD6XX was sublime with huge stage depth and width and clarity
    • No need to use high bias with most headphones
    • Front panel is not overly cluttered, but the left side where all the bit rate and source indicators are, can be slightly busy when glancing at it. Toggle switches are nice but might be vulnerable to being bent or snapped off if you take the unit with you on a business trip for use at your hotel or otherwise packing it up and moving it around (happened to my Schiit Saga). Recessed hp outputs are quite nice and firmly and precisely accept cable terminations. Volume pot is nice and smooth with an appropriate amount of resistance that prevents rapid spikes in volume and gives you finer precision in volume control. Remote functions as advertised and is nothing special.
    • Back of the unit is nicely organized, with digital inputs grouped together on the left as you look at the back panel, then the single-ended analog input (sadly no XLR, but that would not have fit in the chassis I suspect), and then the analog outputs grouping, SE and Bal, with preamp output level and volume control switches. Finally, at the right of the back panel as you look at it you will find the Bluetooth antenna and the standard IEC power cable port. On the underside of the unit there are 4 recessed slider switches to adjust gain with, I left them in Low the whole time. The top of the unit is devoid of features, save for 8 chassis screws along the front and rear top edges of the DAC. The entire finish is a smooth and refined matte black, but it does pick up fingerprints and smudges a little bit, but it’s not horrible like gloss or semi-gloss finishes can be. The underside of the unit has 4 circular feet containing high density rubber, which in combination with the THICC 10mm chassis wall thickness help to isolate the electronics from vibrations and other undesirable interference.
    • Worth mentioning is the “output protection function” that the Fifteen boasts. Questyle claims that if the Fifteen fails for any reason it will automatically stop output to headphones or speakers to protect everything downstream.
    • Measurements…yeah they matter, and in this case Questyle did it right by not simply going by the components’ specifications, but actually measured the performance of the entire unit properly using industry-standard testing equipment. This means that the performance figures they quote on their website are actually what you will get, not the theoretical performance as stated by a chip manufacturer.
    • Power output is stupendous at 765mW @ 300 ohms and 2 watts @ 32 ohms balanced, and single-ended is no slouch with 188mW @ 300 ohms and 1.5 watts at 32 ohms.
    • Both optical and coaxial input support up to 192kHz/24-bit PCM audio
    • USB-C and USB-B inputs support up to PCM 768kHz/32-bit audio, DSD Native up to 512, DOP DSD up to 256, and is a Full/Core MQA Decoder. USB inputs support mobile/OTG devices such as Android and iOS-based devices (with appropriate cabling and adapters of course). Bluetooth input supports SBC, AAC, and the LDAC codecs, with the highest bit rate supported being 96Khz/24-bit, 990kps/909kps.

Ok, now the audiophile tomfoolery...

Holy ****. I love this DAC. I love this amp. I would buy TWO if I could. One for desktop headphone use (duh lol), and one for my home stereo, in which it performed flawlessly and brought a level of detail, finesse, depth, and richness no DAC I've tried to date can do in my system. It's even awesome for gaming (yup, tried that too, stereo and headphone).

Did I mention you can throw the thing in a backpack with your laptop and a power strip and jam out high def at Starbucks? (yes, I've been that guy once or twice hehe).

But yeah, other than the minor quibbles I've listed, it's near perfect. Like someone actually put thought into what the end user would not only find useful but enjoyable.

Now...let's get it in WHITE! :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back