Questions for Westone UM3-X, 3 or 4 owners...
Feb 20, 2011 at 8:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

nico_g

100+ Head-Fier
Hello,
I would like to replace my Shure SE530 IEM.
I would like to have precise informations about some Westone models : UM3-X and the new W4 IEM, or the W3.
Could you give me the length and diameter of the nozzle ?
Could you give me the overall size of the body ?
I have small ears and ears canals so I'm very concerned about size of those IEMs...

Thanks a lot for all informations.

Best Regards,

Feb 20, 2011 at 2:16 PM Post #2 of 11
I was only able to found informations on the diaméter of Westone's IEM nozzle (UM3-X and W3) : 2 mm. But no length anywhere...
It seems that the W3 are shorter than UM3-X, but how much ?
Any help will be very appreciated !

Feb 20, 2011 at 4:37 PM Post #3 of 11
the nozzle on the westone w3 and w4 is shorter than those on the 535's...the um3x are longer as well....i find that the shorter nozzle can make it more difficult to get a proper seal but i think it is intentional because the westone 3 and 4 sit flatter against my ear and thus a longer nozzle might cause some problems.....try them all out to make sure they work for you

Feb 20, 2011 at 5:03 PM Post #4 of 11
jlbrach : thx for your answer.
I can't try those Westone IEM, because there isn't any Westone's seller near me...
So, this is why I must ask those questions on this forum...
With your informations, i think that I should buy UM3-X, but the new W4 is so tempting...

Mar 7, 2011 at 1:30 PM Post #6 of 11
I really don't see how the length of the nozzles matters much, surely what matters more is the length of the tips that you're using. I think I have very small ears and ear canals, in fact I couldn't even get my ER4Bs in very far at all, but both the UM3Xs and the Westone 4s fitted me very well with Shure Olives; and as Jibrach has mentioned, the 3s and 4s just sit flatter against the ears. I actually find the moldable ear rests of the UM3Xs a bit more annoying and uncomfortable as they somehow create a little pulling force on the phones: I find myself needing to push them back into my ears every now and then. In terms of sound quality, I would choose the Westone 4s over the UM3Xs any day, and if they come with replaceable cables, that would be even better. 
wink.gif

Mar 7, 2011 at 3:15 PM Post #7 of 11
I really don't see how the length of the nozzles matters much, surely what matters more is the length of the tips that you're using. I think I have very small ears and ear canals, in fact I couldn't even get my ER4Bs in very far at all, but both the UM3Xs and the Westone 4s fitted me very well with Shure Olives; and as Jibrach has mentioned, the 3s and 4s just sit flatter against the ears. I actually find the moldable ear rests of the UM3Xs a bit more annoying and uncomfortable as they somehow create a little pulling force on the phones: I find myself needing to push them back into my ears every now and then. In terms of sound quality, I would choose the Westone 4s over the UM3Xs any day, and if they come with replaceable cables, that would be even better. :wink:

Wait a minute. What part of the um3x is moldable? I was never aware of this.

Mar 7, 2011 at 4:48 PM Post #8 of 11
Hello and many thanks for all informations,
I should be able to test all those IEM in a few weeks.
I found a reseller near me : he should receive the W4 in a week or so and then, i will test the W4, W3 and UM3-X.
It would be very useful...

Mar 19, 2011 at 5:58 AM Post #9 of 11
Hello,
I was able to test and compare all those Westone's IEMs yerterday.
The french distributor was very kind : he came to my home and proposed me to test all IEMs during more than one hour !
I would like to thanks him again and this kind of service is exceptional !
I first tried the W3 and find it a little bit boring : its mid is a bit too recessed for me.
The I tried the W4 : a lot better with a better mid. The highs and lows are OK.
The fitting ans isolation are a little bit worst than my Shure SE-530 : I think that the nozzles are a little bit toot short.
The wire is very good : flexible and the overal build quality is perfect.
Then I tried the UM3-X and... It was astounding !
The details are here and the mids are very involving. The lows are OK too and this IEM can produce very low freqs as well. There is probably a little bump in upper low, but it's not too pronounced.
The highs are detailed and crisp, but not too much in front. Extreme highs are probably a little bit lower than with the W4.
The fitting is perfect for me : better isolation and very comfortable.

When you compare those IEMs, you should notice that the sound levels are different : the UM3-X produce more sound with the same volume setting : its gain is higher.
If you like strong mids, maybe a bit warmer but very detailed, I think that the UM3-X is for you. The W4 is also very good but with a more linear sound, less involving, more "hifi".

The choice is not easy and everybody should test them before any purchase.
With Rock music, the UM3-X is more "entertaining" and you think that you are near the stage in concert. The W4 is more tamed and neutral.
With classical, the W4 renders high best, but the UM3-X has more "body" an mids.

I ended this test session buying the UM3-X RC (best match with my taste and best isolation/fit) : the distributor has all models in stock, even with spares comply tips.

Mar 19, 2011 at 7:50 AM Post #10 of 11
had the same experience 2 weeks ago for a whole weekend. found out that um3x is best too. but to me the soundstage was more narrow than on my se530 and the westones sounded a little more veild. so i decided to stay at my se530. next step for me will be some kind of custom.

Mar 19, 2011 at 11:15 AM Post #11 of 11
All my tests were done using my Ipod Classic with RSA Tomahawk amp and MP3 320kbps (encoded using EAC with a good set of parameters).
Without a good amp, maybe my conclusion would be different...
I tested with Rock, Metal, Jazz and Classical music.
The main concerns with my SE530 was a lack of low freqs and the wires that are about to break...
On some musics, the voices are more "grain" with the Westones, but I think that's a consequence of the details...

I agree that customs are probably the best solution, but I was unable to test the ES5...
So I think it's more reasonable to stay with universal at this time.

One last good thing for the UM3-X : with its detachable wire, I cant try some good models like TWAg and maybe balanced one with a RSA Predator...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back