Questions about RP-DH1200, ATH-M50, Audio 2 DJ and PA2V2
Aug 13, 2010 at 8:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Roller

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi there. I'm a bit new here but from what I've seen, there's plenty of info about many different audio gear.

I've been using my old faithful Technics RP-F290 connected to an usb creative stereo x-fi, but somehow my ears just need more :) I'm thinking of getting a Native Instruments Audio 2 DJ usb interface, along with a pair of Technics RP-DH1200, DH not DJ, as they seem to have nice specs. I was in doubt between those DH1200 and some ATH-M50, but from a specs point of view, DH1200 wins hands down.
So, any thoughts on both that NI Audio 2 DJ, as well as the DH1200? And please don't advise me other gear as the ones I said fit perfectly my budget, as well as not having better offers near me.

Thanks in advance

Aug 14, 2010 at 9:53 AM Post #2 of 14
Also, are the RC4580 opamps used in the Audio 2 DJ good? I thought of not getting it since the DH-1200 only runs at 50 ohm, which I'm not sure but might be somewhat easy to drive, though of course that running it through something at least like the Audio 2 DJ might help.

Aug 14, 2010 at 10:19 AM Post #4 of 14
Thanks, but the M50 seems to have a darker signature, and I'll only get it if I'm sure DH1200 isn't good. I can only get an Audio 2 DJ. Thoughts on DH1200 and Audio 2 DJ?

Aug 14, 2010 at 5:00 PM Post #5 of 14
I also considered a cmoy or a PA2V2 instead of the Audio 2 DJ, but is there noticeable sound quality differences? I also have both a limited budget and limited choice in sound hardware, so those are the only options for me.

I don't have audiophile equipment yet, but I do have rather sensitive ears, so I'd probably notice if there was a difference. Initially I was looking at the Fiio E5 but it is supposed to add some noise, and I steered away from it since I want the sound as clear as possible.

Aug 15, 2010 at 7:38 AM Post #6 of 14
Oh btw, the RP-DH1200 are 50ohm, if I'm not mistaken, so they could be somewhat driven easily without an amp, but the amp would open its sound, right?

Mar 22, 2011 at 11:43 PM Post #12 of 14
You may have had more luck with suggestions if you were more open to other gear. I've personally never had any experience with any of that gear; other than the PA2v2, which should power a moderately sensitive headphone just fine.

Good luck and a free bump.

-Nylan

Mar 23, 2011 at 2:12 AM Post #13 of 14
Coming from an ex rp-dj1200 user I can honestly say m50's sounded much better than my Technics.   Not familiar with the differences between the DH and DJ (other than the obvious) but while very fun, the Technics lacked alot of the low-end as they seem to have a fairly steep drop-off sub 80hz.

Mar 23, 2011 at 9:26 PM Post #14 of 14

Quote:
You may have had more luck with suggestions if you were more open to other gear. I've personally never had any experience with any of that gear; other than the PA2v2, which should power a moderately sensitive headphone just fine.

Good luck and a free bump.

-Nylan

Thanks for the bump
redface.gif

I wasn't more open to other gear mainly due to limitations on what gear I could get a hold of while taking in account a certain budget. But that has been quite a long time ago, and since then much has been learnt, one pearl of wisdom being that specs don't necessarily dictate performance
wink.gif
and I ended up getting a PA2V2, a NI Audio 2 DJ and a pair of A&H XD-53, which is a custom pair of ATH-PRO700.

Sincerely, I never liked ATH-M50s that much, mainly because I've had quite some experience with the M40fs, which I still find that they sound great and the M50s were supposed to have a significantly different sound signature.

@derycksan: I wasn't aware of that behavior of the DJ1200, and from what I've read, it seems that DH1200 are slightly less durable but with better sound. Anyway, I think I ended up going with my XD-53, and I'm quite happy, for now...
dt880smile.png

But now I'm beginning to get concerned that the LCD-2 might not be as good as I expect
confused.gif
But nevermind that, it's something not so close yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back