Questions about how cables are made and how do different cables sound different?
Jan 22, 2011 at 10:25 AM Post #91 of 121
But have you tried different cables yourself. I think you can actually hear a difference. But its very slight. I know that on the chinese headphone forum they recommended me not to change cable unless i got a RC IEM or a really expensive one with perfect amp and source and I had too much money to spend...LOL

Jan 22, 2011 at 10:56 AM Post #92 of 121
Quote:
Funny how everyone here thinks cables don't affect the sound,

You mean people here like BlackBeard Ben?

You may want to re-evaluate your statistic.

Quote:
But have you tried different cables yourself. I think you can actually hear a difference.

Of course. Early in my buying, many years ago, I bought as expensive a cable as I could afford (these very pretty, highly shielded, contraptions). I still have them (tend to use them as subwoofer cables because they are long, but their flexability is lower that is convenient for component interconnects). I've used the generic ones that come with equipment, I've picked up quite a few of the mainstream "better" cables because they were on sale (when hhGregg had flat AR component interconnects for $5 a pair, I picked up a few to replace the monoprice ones which were too stiff and had a tendancy to unplug themselves). monster, BJC, AR. Sometimes I buy a speaker or amp off craigslist from a cable believer and the cable comes with it.

Outside my house I've listened to some very esoteric cables (the local B&W dealer sells high priced cables indeed).

Jan 22, 2011 at 2:06 PM Post #93 of 121

Quote:
Quote:
Funny how everyone here thinks cables don't affect the sound,

You mean people here like BlackBeard Ben?

You may want to re-evaluate your statistic.

Quote:
But have you tried different cables yourself. I think you can actually hear a difference.

Of course. Early in my buying, many years ago, I bought as expensive a cable as I could afford (these very pretty, highly shielded, contraptions). I still have them (tend to use them as subwoofer cables because they are long, but their flexability is lower that is convenient for component interconnects). I've used the generic ones that come with equipment, I've picked up quite a few of the mainstream "better" cables because they were on sale (when hhGregg had flat AR component interconnects for $5 a pair, I picked up a few to replace the monoprice ones which were too stiff and had a tendancy to unplug themselves). monster, BJC, AR. Sometimes I buy a speaker or amp off craigslist from a cable believer and the cable comes with it.

Outside my house I've listened to some very esoteric cables (the local B&W dealer sells high priced cables indeed).

Hey, I'm not the only one...  And there's certainly ways to put cables on that will impact performance.  Like using a cable that has a significant resistance in comparison to the impedance of your speakers/headphones.

That reminds me of when I bought my GFA-555 - the guy was a real audiophile nut - in ways both good and bad.  He builds his own speakers, including the cabinets - which is definitely cool.  He also had amps and other components lying all around - including a beefy 90 lb Mac he had just sold.  He was quite eclectic and definitely an interesting guy.

His main system, on the other hand, was honestly not that impressive.  He had fancy-schmancy cables, a power conditioner, a big Krell, Levinson, or something similar for an amp, and it was all powering a pair of Mirage M3s (I think, based on the size.  It could have been an M1 or perhaps an M5).  They weren't bad, per se, but they just don't match either of my big Infinities in pretty much every way.  Seems like he ought to have spent more on speakers and less on everything else...

Then, he brought out the cake.  Erm, CD de-static-ing spray.  Which he proceeded to tell me he was going to start selling it, as it makes everything smoother sounding with the static removed.  Uhh, yeah...  He used it on one of my CDs, which I had been auditioning the 555 with.  When I put it in, he asked me if I heard how much smoother and less harsh everything sounded.  I can't remember if I humored him by agreeing, or just said I didn't hear a difference (I didn't, of course...).

I occasionally see stuff listed by him on Craigslist - I might have to pay him another visit just to chat.  I think I can endure CD-spray proselytising to chat about other audio stuff.  Even (rather, "Of course") sharing music is great.

Well, I seemed to have strayed off topic again...   Sorry.   :-/

Jan 22, 2011 at 3:10 PM Post #94 of 121
Quote:
Could you give us more specifics of exactly what sounds so different with each interconnect - and perhaps tie it in with how they are constructed?

Also, have you tried any unsighted tests?

Hi, there's a huge review on 6moons about the Livelines and how they're constructed. I would personally love to speak to Franck Tschang (the designer) myself, but I think there's enough information in the review by Srajan Ebaen. Supposedly Franck uses a sequential mix of alloys to achieve the sound.

I didn't mean to say that the sound was my cup of tea. I used the Livelines between my Chord dac and integrated amp. The sound is very forward and lively, as in what you would hear in a live venue. The treble harshness that you hear in other cables isn't there. Also the haze that you're so familiar with hearing from other cables is gone.

I'm not sure sure what Franck did in designing these cables, but they do something I've never heard in other cables.

When I used the cable as a digital connect in between my dac and usb to spdif converter, it easily outperformed the Nuforce digital cable. It seems as though the Nuforce wasn't conveying all of information, or it may have been conveying it, but it was smeared. The Chord dac is highly resolving, and once I installed the ASI Liveline, there was no looking back. Details and definition in music I'm very familiar with appeared in a manner that I've never heard before in any of my setups.

For example, on the track "It's a Sin" by the Pet Shop Boys, there is a synthesizer line that goes throughout the song in the background. I can probably hear it faintly, but once the Liveline was installed as a digital cable, it's very easy to make out and quite shocking to realize it was always there, but I never heard it before!

Jan 23, 2011 at 7:11 AM Post #95 of 121
I think that what Frank Tchang did was excellent sales and marketing

http://www.francktchang.com/liveline.html

using cheap components modified to create an impression of having affected the sound. At $1000 for a metre of IC he has a massive mark up. A Neutrik phono of the type he uses is $10.

Jan 24, 2011 at 7:22 AM Post #96 of 121
Actually, It seems to me that the cables that perform worse are a lot more noticeable...When I tried a cheaper cable for my ER4P, it was an instant before I realized that the sound went all wrong and warm...

Then I got my silver cable yesterday. Overall, not a big difference, except the ER4 trebles seemed to have gotten another boost

Jan 24, 2011 at 4:32 PM Post #98 of 121
     Quote:
It's called quackery.

se

Won't be the first or last time he's called that.

I'm keeping the interconnect as a digital cable though. It maintains the integrity of the music - the timing and structure. If this is done right, everything syncs up and snaps into place. No going back after you hear this.

Jan 25, 2011 at 10:06 AM Post #100 of 121
Hey Guys, 
I just burned in my new silver cable for around 50 hours.
Changed my ER4P sound quite a bit i think (not sure if its good or bad though). Treble is now overpowering. Cymbals are covering the singing, and I can hear literally everything. Sound stage is slightly bigger, causing the vocals to recess a little, and isn't as sharp anymore. More bass and extension, but very fast.

Jan 25, 2011 at 11:52 AM Post #103 of 121
^Well when I compared to my original cables, they do make a difference (a different sound signature). I trust my ears.

Jan 25, 2011 at 12:38 PM Post #104 of 121
Funny how some people know how all other people think & feel.  Do ALL chinese people really believe cables make a difference?  Even if all Chinese people believed they did, it does not make the argument any more true! 
evil_smiley.gif

Jan 25, 2011 at 2:18 PM Post #105 of 121

Quote:
^Well when I compared to my original cables, they do make a difference (a different sound signature). I trust my ears.

What do you think it is about the way the cable is made that changes the sound?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back